TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Deep Draw Hood

HARALD KELLEY

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks good Harald!! Bummer about the glass tho.

It's hard to tell in the photo, but do you have the mesh sitting flush on the backside of the vents or do you have them slightly protruding?

Dan

You know, I never thought about that. I thought the screen was pre shaped when I looked at it. However, it may be flush. That being said, a little protruding is better I think. I will have to look at it closer. To late now. As for the window, it had some pits so I am Ok with it, plus they warned me that it could happen.

Wow Harald! Looks incredible. Can't wait to see it in person. How many GT-H/SC's are there anyway?

In 2010 I was given a number of about 6 to 8 that were done at SAI. I personally know of 5 that were done at SAI. I know of others that were done by owners. The ones done at SAI or Tasca and recognized by Shelby as a GT-H/SC I presume are less than 30. Ths is just my guess. Then you have to determine how many are Paxton vs whipple etc. Some day maybe we will know.

Checked on the car today

Car is getting put together. May be done tomorrow. Nice to have the stripes smooth under clear vs the ridge IMO and no more split tape stripes. I will take some photos with a camera when all done and revise signature photos a all these are from my phone. Paint shop also took photos of the process for me for documentation. GT-H/SC stripes also installed, thanks Steve T. and Roger S. from Shelby. You guys are always so responsive. They are very protected about the side stripes so I am glad I decided to install them as they are approved Shelby designation and I guess the car should have them.

IMG-20121210-00287.jpg

IMG-20121210-00288.jpg

IMG-20121210-00289.jpg

IMG-20121210-00287.jpg

IMG-20121210-00288.jpg

IMG-20121210-00289.jpg

Looks fantastic!

Have you ever considered putting on gold pit stripes, sted red?

I got these at the 2009 Bash and never removed them. Otherwise I may not have put any on. That said, I do like the ones I think the Northern or Mountain region have with the 50th logo between the two stripes.

I got these at the 2009 Bash and never removed them. Otherwise I may not have put any on. That said, I do like the ones I think the Northern or Mountain region have with the 50th logo between the two stripes.

That's exactly what I'm talking about. I have an extra one if you'd like it.

You can tell from my pics that I kinda like stickers! :hysterical2:

Looks great Harald.

I too stopped by my paint shop today to check on things. We learned some interesting stuff that we would have only learned by painting under the hood 2 different colors.

For starters, the center section is not symetrical. One side is molded in a little higher than the other side. It's a little hard to explain, but simply put, by following the contour and painting the center section black with the outer portion white, lines were not equal and was visually deceptive. So the painter is going to repaint the texture where it is symetrical (as best as he can), as it is the dominant color under the hood. Also, inside the vent area in the back was going to be white. Since the opening is so small, and difficult to get good coverage inside, it's now going to be tectured black.

I know what I wrote is probably difficult to understand, it's easier to see in person to figure out. Basically, the deep draw hood is easier to do on a dark colored car than one that is white...lol

Dan

Looks great Harald.

I too stopped by my paint shop today to check on things. We learned some interesting stuff that we would have only learned by painting under the hood 2 different colors.

For starters, the center section is not symetrical. One side is molded in a little higher than the other side. It's a little hard to explain, but simply put, by following the contour and painting the center section black with the outer portion white, lines were not equal and was visually deceptive. So the painter is going to repaint the texture where it is symetrical (as best as he can), as it is the dominant color under the hood. Also, inside the vent area in the back was going to be white. Since the opening is so small, and difficult to get good coverage inside, it's now going to be tectured black.

I know what I wrote is probably difficult to understand, it's easier to see in person to figure out. Basically, the deep draw hood is easier to do on a dark colored car than one that is white...lol

Dan

I understand. The black and gloss black its not really an issue.

Car is home. Here are a few pictures from my phone. I can say the air exchange is excellent as there seems to be no trapped heat as with the original hood.

Looks great Harald!!

Glad to hear about the air exchange and no trapped heat. Funny story about the trapped heat on my car. When we were returning from Terlingua this year, Rick Saute traded cars with Laura and I. I got to drive his Super Snake convertible and he, our Shelby GT automatic, when we got to the hotel for the night he asked, "Is your car always that hot?" I said yes...lol

You can't run just the fresh air vent only. Even on cold days, hot air comes in thru the fresh air intake. If you are warm, you have to run the a/c for cool air. If Harald is correct, not going to be a problem any more!!!

Our car should be ready for pick up next week. We ran into some problems and had to re-do a couple things. The hood and trunk were cleared today and should be ready for reassembly and color sanding soon. The roof, front and rear bumpers are already color sanded.

Dan

Looks great Harald!!

Glad to hear about the air exchange and no trapped heat. Funny story about the trapped heat on my car. When we were returning from Terlingua this year, Rick Saute traded cars with Laura and I. I got to drive his Super Snake convertible and he, our Shelby GT automatic, when we got to the hotel for the night he asked, "Is your car always that hot?" I said yes...lol

You can't run just the fresh air vent only. Even on cold days, hot air comes in thru the fresh air intake. If you are warm, you have to run the a/c for cool air. If Harald is correct, not going to be a problem any more!!!

Our car should be ready for pick up next week. We ran into some problems and had to re-do a couple things. The hood and trunk were cleared today and should be ready for reassembly and color sanding soon. The roof, front and rear bumpers are already color sanded.

Dan

Did not have the issues you are stating, just held a lot of heat under the hood. Never had an issue with heat vents etc. But now the heat is so much less

Took the car out for a short drive and to the office. Gold paint looks good in the light and hood is just awesome for the Hertz car IMO. I am getting adjusted to the GT-H/SC stripes as I was not really sure if I wanted to do that but since the car is eligible and I did the make over I decided to put them on.

get-attachment1.jpg

get-attachment1.jpg

Looks great Harald. Stripes look amazing. Did they color sand and buff the rest of the car too - as it looks very deep gloss? Any issues with getting the glass back in?

No issues with the glass. Roof, trunk, hood, front & rear bumper covers were color sanded and cleared. The sides of the car was not. I intend to take to a professional detailer and have the car and engine bay detailed once paint is curred.

No issues with the glass. Roof, trunk, hood, front & rear bumper covers were color sanded and cleared. The sides of the car was not. I intend to take to a professional detailer and have the car and engine bay detailed once paint is cured.

I need to send mine out there to get it done (painted stripes) now that the shop you used knows how to do it!

OK, after reading this post (again), it appears you had your painter create a custom paint from analyzing your brand new stripes, right? You also indicated you would compare this new custom gold to the Dupont 409383. Were you able to compare, and was it the same? Close? Can your painter provide a code for the gold paint you used on your car, and are you happy with the color? Was there any difference in the color between your original rocker stripes and the new ones?

I am very happy with gold used and the paint is consistant and not blochy as some metalic paints becouse of poor prep work or static. The rocker stripes to me are just fine with the painted stripes. I chose not to paint them in the event I or another owner ever want to put the basic GT-H rocker back on.

I will get the color code the painter used but the dupont color I think was a starting point. They looked at my existing stripes and the new set I had. The gold painted may be a shade darker than the stripes that were on the car as they appeared to have faded in areas.

Thank you! - very interested in this information. If I'm understanding you correctly, the Dupont code was not an exact match to your new stripes, so custom mixing had to be done to get it right? Was the Dupont code too light? As for stripe fading, that is exactly what I would expect on these rental cars, which is why it is important to match the gold with NEW vinyl from Shelby that hasn't had a chance to fade, yet.

Archived