TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Deep Draw Hood

HARALD KELLEY

Purchased one of the Deep Draw hoods. I will now search a good body shop to do the prep and paint and redo the over the top stripes at the same time. Car needs to be perfect so I have to do some homework.

What is the color code for the gold stripes? I had it and cannot find it.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You may end up having to get a spectrum analysis done on your stripes. My guy tried this same code and the color did not come out right a couple weeks ago on my new back bumper. He ended up having the paint shop do a custom mix to get it just right to match. So not absolutely sure this code will help or not.

Please post progress ... this looks like a great upgrade.

Mine is leaning against the wall in my office.

Everyone here at SA is so busy making CARS, it'll be months before anyone has a second to do my tiny little hood project.

You guys are making me lose sleep - JEALOUS!

Jer

Please post progress ... this looks like a great upgrade.

Depends on who you talk to. Some think my upgrades to include the SAI installed Paxton was a huge mistake. They say I should have kept it stock. Maybe they did not know Mr. Shelby. That will be for someone else to consider once I am gone horizontal. I have kept it all Shelby parts. I will post progress once I find I shop. I understand Galpin is now an approved Shelby mod shop. Maybe I should have this done at their shop. More to follow.

A Paxton on a GT-H is a GREAT upgrade!

Jer

Purchased one of the Deep Draw hoods. I will now search a good body shop to do the prep and paint and redo the over the top stripes at the same time. Car needs to be perfect so I have to do some homework.

What is the color code for the gold stripes? I had it and cannot find it.

Harald #50

Dupont Code For Gold Paint ...

Font for lettering ...

Myriad Bold Italic 96 Point

Hope this helps

Rich

Rich,

Good post on the paint codes and font :salute:

Harald,

If you're not in a hurry, that shop I told you about in Morgan Hill would be a good place to go.

I'll email you the info

Tom

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps I need to be brought up to speed? Why change the hood? Does the Paxton not fit with the original hood? What are the differences on these hoods?

The factory hood will work fine with the Paxton. The differences are in the heat extraction. Heat is the biggest challenge with the Paxton or any other supercharger. This hood does look very similar to the stock GT-H hood, but it is deeper in the indent towards the front. It is also open and functional as a heat extractor.

An important note for anyone painting metallic stripes on their car (from my recent conversations with a pro who has restored cars for Harrah's Imperial Palace Collection here in Vegas):

The color code will get you there in most cases, however, it's not easy to get a consistent "spread' of the metallic materials within the paint. Especially on a fiberglass hood, static is your enemy, and the metallic particles can all "clot" in groups of electrical charge, thus making the paint appear "blotchy" when dry. So, if you are vetting a bodyshop to do this job, and you mention static, see if they understand, or tilt their head like a puppy hearing a new sound.

BTW, this sounds like common sense, I know, but USE GOOD PAINT. A quality brand (PPG, etc...) will always work better, ask what they are going to use, and see if they offer you the chance to throw an extra $50-$100 at a materials upgrade. Ask anyone who's painted ANYTHING, PREP and PAINT make or break any job.

Jer

Perhaps I need to be brought up to speed? Why change the hood? Does the Paxton not fit with the original hood? What are the differences on these hoods?

Jeff is correct. My hood works fine and the Paxton was installed at SAI in 2009 with no issues to date. That being said, I have always wanted the functional Terlingua hood so when it became availble I purchased it. Should not look too different. The original hood will be placed in safe keeping. More to follow.

An important note for anyone painting metallic stripes on their car (from my recent conversations with a pro who has restored cars for Harrah's Imperial Palace Collection here in Vegas):

The color code will get you there in most cases, however, it's not easy to get a consistent "spread' of the metallic materials within the paint. Especially on a fiberglass hood, static is your enemy, and the metallic particles can all "clot" in groups of electrical charge, thus making the paint appear "blotchy" when dry. So, if you are vetting a bodyshop to do this job, and you mention static, see if they understand, or tilt their head like a puppy hearing a new sound.

BTW, this sounds like common sense, I know, but USE GOOD PAINT. A quality brand (PPG, etc...) will always work better, ask what they are going to use, and see if they offer you the chance to throw an extra $50-$100 at a materials upgrade. Ask anyone who's painted ANYTHING, PREP and PAINT make or break any job.

Jer

Thanks Jer for the advise.

Jer

Great advice ... thank you for sharing.

Thanks Jer for the advise.

Thank YOU! Looking forward to seeing your car completed! It's going to be SWEET.

Jer

Congrats on getting the hood Harald. Mine arrives tomorrow!!! :yahoo:

I had the shipping delayed due to attending Terlingua. Now comes my search to find a reputable body shop.

Dan

Yup me too. I am going to talk to Morgan Hill Auto body in Morgan Hill and Jerry Graham in Monterey. Let me know what you find.

Went to a body shop today who is well known for custom and special car work. I liked them.

They will color match the gold via color spectrum. Just need to bring a sample. Intend to get the GT-H/SC side stripes from Shelby and have them match to that. Will be contacting Roger Sorel. Front and back window will be removed for paint to keep factory look which is recomended by body shop - (Any conern or thoughts with that?) Intend to clear over Lemans stripes to make it smooth. Side strripes will stay tape so they can be replaced in the future back to stock without to much effort if so desired. They also do lots of fiberglass work. In the process of writing up the quote.

More to follow!

Went to a body shop today who is well known for custom and special car work. I liked them.

They will color match the gold via color spectrum. Just need to bring a sample. Intend to get the GT-H S/C side stripes from Shelby and have them match to that. Will be contacting Roger Sorel. Front and back window will be removed for paint to keep factory look which is recomended by body shop - (Any conern or thoughts with that?) Intend to clear over Lemans stripes to make it smooth. Side strripes will stay tape so they can be replaced in the future back to stock without to much effort if so desired. They also do lots of fiberglass work. In the process of writing up the quote.

More to follow!

Don't call Roger for stuff like this, call Wendy at Shelby Performance Parts: 702-405-3500

And be sure to post pictures when it's done!!!

Jer

• 2 weeks later...

Car goes in the paint shop the week of Nov 12. Painted overtop stripes under clear coated and deep draw hood prep and paint. Will post pictures once car is done.

:victory:

Jer

• 2 weeks later...

Car was dropped off at the body shop today with the Terlingua deep draw hood. GT-H/SC stripes came in. Car will be in the shop for about two weeks. They will use the original tape stripes which I have a new set to match color. They will also compare the Dupont paint color code that has been posted here. Dupont Code For Gold Paint ...

More to follow

Archived