TEAM SHELBY FORUM

"Continuation" 1967 Shelby?

OK, I know there are many strange things out there in the Shelby world, but having been involved in older Shelbys for 15 years or so, I have never heard of a Continuation 1967 Shelby Super Snake like the one that sold for the outrageous price of $330K (including fees) at BJ 'Vegas last week. It was just an Eleanor type restored, nothing from 1967 remained except the "A" code ( 4 bbl. 289) body. How can a Shelby Super Snake, which should have started life as a big block, be made-up from a bunch of aftermarket, non-Ford or vintage Shelby parts and claim to be a "Continuation". I smell a fraud.

Carroll Shelby licensed several shops to build cars like this - Unique Performance (RIP) is one that comes to mind - and they did get CSM #s and registry recognition from SAI.

That being said, I find it puzzling that this car is worth $330K and a sub-100 mile Super Snake convertible is only bid to $76K.

Didn't the FBI have a chat with Unique Performance? They were hot in all the mags for awhile. I tried to buy some Shelby Seats from them for my 65 rebuild but they wer " Out of Stock", I think I was lucky.

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/11/06/unique-performance-raided-by-local-police/

MMcGuirk is correct. One place in particular is " Classic Recreations / CR " They build continuation builds using older original stangs for the conversions. They anounced last year that they build 66' as well as the 67'-68' cars. They are pretty expensive, the most costing $199K. So I think the $330K is way out there! I am going to look into this and hopefully have it done in a couple of years. But first things first, make the wife happy! Unique Performance did get busted for vin swapping and one of the owners was with holding money from the customers that put 50% down. The FBI did investigate CR to make sure they were not operating the same way Unique did. CR passed and are building cars today. All CR's cars are added to the Shelby Registry to make them official. As far as the seats, just look them up on ebay. They are out there. I have a couple of them on my watch list so that one day I can find them easily and buy them for my car.

The registry is the one kept by the Shelby American factory? Is there a published list to verify a vehicle and who maintains the registry to keep it up to date as to title transfers, wrecked vehicles, etc. I assume tis registry is only for SAI licensed cars with CSM numbers. Is any part of Team Shelby involved?

B)

Carroll Shelby licensed several shops to build cars like this - Unique Performance (RIP) is one that comes to mind - and they did get CSM #s and registry recognition from SAI.

That being said, I find it puzzling that this car is worth $330K and a sub-100 mile Super Snake convertible is only bid to $76K.

Just to clarify this a little more, the Unique Performance cars were issued a CSE number by Unique Performance. CSM numbers are used on Las Vegas built Shelby American cars which of course these U/P cars are not.

I too was shocked at the $330k price but then I was also shocked when the auctioneers kept saying this car was built by Shelby American.

Steve

The registry is the one kept by the Shelby American factory? Is there a published list to verify a vehicle and who maintains the registry to keep it up to date as to title transfers, wrecked vehicles, etc. I assume tis registry is only for SAI licensed cars with CSM numbers. Is any part of Team Shelby involved?

B)

Correct, the Shelby American Registry is maintained and is part of Shelby American. At this time there is no published registry. The Shelby American Registry is for all Shelby's, not just Shelby's with CSM numbers. Team Shelby and the Team Shelby website works closely with the registry. All the Shelby American Registrars are members of Team Shelby and we couldn't do this without their support.

Steve

Same style car sold for the same price in 09

http://www.barrett-j...?ln=701&aid=303

Here's where the guy gets his money, link courtesy of Cali-KR. I only watched the first 30 seconds...

Other fun facts about this guy. I'm not sure why he would continue to buy high profile cars.

http://djournal.com/...%20&id=12858065

I too was shocked at the $330k price but then I was also shocked when the auctioneers kept saying this car was built by Shelby American.

Steve

You would think that Steve Davis would correct and mention it wasnt a SA built car, but i heard him say it was a SA built car

Davis was still wearing his constant dark shades in a dark room, too cool to tell the truth maybe?......Hypester extraordinaire....

seriously? he always wear them, i think he has an issue his eyes or something that could cause some migrane/headaches in bright light environments.

I met Steve Davis this trip to vegas for the Barrett Jackson auction. When we met, he did not have his glasses on and seemed to have normal eyes, and was actually pretty good guy to talk to. He was busy and only had a moment. What do you guys think of lot #643 the 'eleanor' that sold for 90k

i don't get the whole Eleanor thing... but they seem to be popular with the buyers

There are many who love the custom resto-mods, just like in the old days. The problem with building one is that they depreciate so fast it happens before the paint is dry. They can be great bargains at auction after a few years of wear and tear, they sell for a fraction of what it cost to build. But you have to like the "look". Personally, I don't, give me an original or restored back to original any time.

Archived