TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Reminder - Drain your oil catch can!

2007_Shelby_GT

A reminder to everyone - don't forget to drain the oil out of your "catch can" if you have it installed! I don't know how much oil would be captured in a normally aspirated engine, but wow, I drained about a cup of oil out of that thing yesterday! I'm going to write down my mileage so I can get a good handle on how often I need to check that thing!

Makes me wonder if I need to go ahead and get a second can for the passenger side!?

Sam

On the GT500's, the PASSENGER side is the worse side in terms of oil. It was reccomended to me to put them on both sides, but I currently only have a single one on the passender side.

If the same statement is true for the supercharged SGT's, I'd get one on the passenger side right away...especially since there was so much oil in the one you have.

(Off to the garage now to see how much oil is in mine-------Thanks for the reminder to check it.)

Sam,

Do you have some pictures of how you mounted it?

What did you use for hoses?

I've had a UPR catch can waiting to be installed for too long but still haven't figured out a good mounting point on hte driver's side

Once figure out the mounting, then I would like to have hoses made with OEM fittings

Thanks

Larry

Larry,

I bought the Moroso catch can. Here is a pic of it installed with arrows showing direction of air flow:

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php/gallery/image/6735-installed/#shareLinks

It came with the hoses you see along with instructions on how to cut and re-use factory ends, so no additional fittings to purchase!

Sam

Sam

Wow, that looks great!

Surprised that there were enough threads to mount it under your strut tower brace

I was thinking that the outboard strut bolts would need to be used to mount a catch can, which is why I'm having challenges figuring out the mounting

The UPR catch can mount doesn't play well with the available space. Guess I may need to look at your choice instead

Where did you purchase the Moroso catch can?

Thanks

Larry

Larry,

I got it through American Muscle, but you can get them just about anywhere - mine is Moroso model 85477.

Mounting it on the strut tower was easiest, but if I get one for the passenger side, I'll have to figure out something different - there's just not enough "thread space" over there with the intercooler tank and other stuff!

Sam

• 4 weeks later...

For peace of mind, I just ordered a second catch can for the passenger side!

After 250 miles, I emptied the driver's side can and removed about a tablespoon of oil, (there was actually a bit more, but I know you can't drain all of it unless you let the drain valve sit open for a while), so this indicates there's quite a bit of oil moving through the PCV!

For those without the catch can, (N/A or otherwise), this might explain the standard "puff of blue smoke" on start up, but who knows!?

Sam

Sam, it is not necessary for the passenger side. That topic has been discussed here before. On the SGT's, it needs to be on the driver's side.

The one I already have on the driver's side is definitely catching oil! Perhaps it's not necessary on the passenger side, but if you're ventilating the crankcase from both sides, to me it would be reasonable to assume you're going to catch some oil from both sides.

No argument, just peace of mind for me!

Sam

• 1 month later...

I usually check/empty mine at fill ups. There was quite a lot of oil in the beginning but now about about a teaspoon or so each time.

Sherri,

You are absolutely correct, and while you're under the hood, check your oil and other fluid levels as well! This USED to be standard procedure at every fill up, but most of us have gotten a bit spoiled by these new cars and their "maintenance free" drivability!

I say, check everything at least every other fill up for peace of mind AND when you raise the hood, it usually draws a crowd, so you can show off while you're at it!

Sam

Sam, it is not necessary for the passenger side. That topic has been discussed here before. On the SGT's, it needs to be on the driver's side.

I've ran several different setups on my SGT, started off with Breathers on both sides and on the oil fill but the passenger side breather left the valve cover coated lightly with oil, so I went with JLT catch cans on both sides and went back to the shelby oil fill cap. The JLT catch cans let oil into the intake from the drivers side. So third and final setup has been a breather on the drivers side a moroso catch can with breather on it on the passenger side, result is zero oil getting to the intake and zero oil coating the engine bay. I'm using one like this which I got from JEGS http://www.ebay.com/itm/Moroso-Breather-Overflow-Tank-Catch-Can-/261131286158?pt=Race_Car_Parts&hash=item3ccca3368e&vxp=mtr

The one I already have on the driver's side is definitely catching oil! Perhaps it's not necessary on the passenger side, but if you're ventilating the crankcase from both sides, to me it would be reasonable to assume you're going to catch some oil from both sides.

No argument, just peace of mind for me!

Sam

If running pcv, the pass side is sucking air, so the can wont catch anything unless you have an oil source in your intake tube!

Archived