TEAM SHELBY FORUM

O2 Sensor Restrictors

speedyburd33

Just getting my car back from Tasca with my new GT/SC upgrade and Dennis has it tuned up nice. He had to turn the rear O2 sensors off to keep the check engine light from coming on. This is fine except that in NY they must be on to pass inspection. He suggested installing these restrictors from Vibrant Performance and using an alternate tune that he will email me just for the inspection. He also said that after the inspection, i need to retune it to his original tune and keep the rear O2's off. Has anyone else used these or something like these? Or...would anyone from NY have a better solution to the inspection issue?

http://vibrantperformance.com/catalog/product_info.php?osCsid=8b7d805c1eda3258769c11318beec407&products_id=1605&cPath=1022_1069

The builders are doing a huge disservice by disabling the O2 sensors. Your OBD2 check at emissions test WILL FAIL. The only way to get them connected is to totally revert to the stock configuration, which means removing the supercharger and putting the stock air box back on.

Jer, why are they allowed to do this?

Personally, I believe Tasca/SAI should pay to make it emissions compliant where you live or reject the mod...

Your OBD2 check at emissions test WILL FAIL. The only way to get them connected is to totally revert to the stock configuration, which means removing the supercharger and putting the stock air box back on.

this is exactly why i'm asking. I had a similar situation when i bought a tune from Brenspeed a couple years ago. They fixed it by just emailing me the same tune with the sensors turned on and it fixed the problem. Dennis says if those sensors are on with the Whipple, the check engine light will come on...which won't pass inspection either. I know there are other SC'd cars out there in NY and hopefully they can add their $.02. Paying another $50 plus installation to have those restrictors put on isn't the way i want to go. Especially when i'm not even sure what they exactly do. Telling me that they "fool" the computer doesn't say much. I don't know if they will affect anything when i go to turn the sensors back off after the inspection, or if they are actually harmless otherwise?

Any help is appreciated!!

I run a saleen blower with long tubes headers, catted x-pipe and a brenspeed tune for emissions testing. I had to install some spacers on the rear O2 sensors due to the heat caused by the blower. Without the spacers the rear O2 sensors will heat up too quickly and it will throw a code. After installation of the spacers load the emission tune and then drive the car several times and you should have no problem with getting through the emissions process.

No, there's something wrong. The GT/SC Whipple ought to be a standard Ford Racing kit (really). It is supposedly 50 state compliant.

i tend to agree with you. This should be a standard set up to accomodate the inspections no matter what state. I'll be finding out more in the next week or so and let you all know.

No, there's something wrong. The GT/SC Whipple ought to be a standard Ford Racing kit (really). It is supposedly 50 state compliant.

I think the addition of the long tube headers changes the game. I'm not an expert but the improved flow of the LT's may change things enough to warrant the spacers. I ran my car with stock exhaust and an emissions tune, then switched to off road x pipe which made it necessary to turn rear O2 sensors off. Later I changed to LT's and off road x pipe with sensors off, when we moved to front range of Colorado I kept the LT's added a catted xpipe for emissions testing along with the spacers.

I had thought of changing my Ford GT to that kind of setup - there is a FRPP header kit that had "bumps" where the cats would be, but the emissions folks KNOW about it and fail the test (or so I'm told by someone who tried). The best alternative may be to register your car in a Montana LLC. No emssions test.

But I still fault the installer for allowing such a configuration to exist if it won't pass emissions (anywhere), or at least making it very clear (ie. sign this waiver) before doing the work.

Archived