TEAM SHELBY FORUM

New set of after market Wheels and Tires for 2011 GT500

JT2004

Instead of starting a new thread I thought this might be the best place to ask.

So I'm planning to replace my wheels/tires in the future. My stock rims have been banged up and one even has a weird acid damage that caused the clearcoat to shatter and flake off a bit. After debating between finding some OEM 19" SVT rims (as a convertible owner, mine are 18") or grabbing the BOSS 302 LS rims, I came upon the CS70's and I quite like them. One of the things I like about the OEM wheels are that the pockets match my Sterling Gray paint, and these ones do the same with a simple spoke design. I think it's look great on my convertible.

19hzJMr.jpg

Here's my concern though. I've had the Eibach GT500 Lowering Springs installed (with adjustable panhard bar), and with these being 20 inch I'm concerned about putting tires on that will cause rubbing. I'm eyeballing some MPSS's given the excellent reviews here but I don't know what height I should go for, 30? 35? Also I'd want to have as much rubber as I can, at least for the rear, and while 295 is suggested for 10 inch and 315 is my dream number, would 305's work? What should I use for the fronts if I'm using 9 inch wide rims? Can I get away with 10 inches on the front or is that overkill?

Thanks for the advice fellas.

If you're concerned about rubbing with Ford Racing lowering springs, stick within the OE overall diameter of 28". Wheel width will dictate the range of tire widths available to you which ultimately will dictate what aspect ratio the tire must be. Also avoid pushing the sidewall farther out from the centerline which will situate the tallest part of the tire nearest the lowest part of the wheel well along the hindquarters.

Go as wide as you like within the tire manufacturer's specified range for a given wheel width. I'm sure scads of people have cheated a size wider than specified and makers' lawyers certainly require them to include a margin of error. Nevertheless, established parameters exist for a reason and I wouldn't want to put my car, myself or anybody else in jeopardy because I tried to shortcut my way to a hair more contact patch.

If you want maximum footprint, the right answer is to have the wheels widened to effectively increase the offset so any additional tire width is situated toward the centerline. You can widen wheels with stock offsets to as much as 11.5 inches or more if you're willing to start removing shock boots and hack away bump stops, but for the relatively nominal cost versus the amount of width to be gained safely, little excuse remains for trying to shortcut one's way to a wider tire. OE wheel and tire combinations can be stressed to the point of failure easily enough given the tremendous energy and forces barraging them, let alone combinations that aren't intended to work together.

There's no magic number to "how wide" or "what size" since each maker, and even tire model has its own fit characteristics. Many Michelins tend to run smaller than spec'd, but even this isn't an excuse to mount 305s on wheels the manufacturer states can accommodate 295s or smaller. In the same vein, some tires of a particular size will rub with certain suspension set-ups while other makers' tires of the same size won't. Each unique wheel and tire combination should be weighed as an entirely unique proposition. Basic sizes relative to OE can be used to establish some quick rules of thumb to include or exclude various possibilities, but it's important to ALWAYS vet the final fitment using each individual product and size to ensure proper fitment and safe operation.

Hi Matt,

American Muscle has the correct offset Shelby Razors now, in 20x9. They are well priced at 204 each for the gunmetal, and include shipping and the center caps. In my opinion, as a daily driver, the difference between the stock Goodyears, and the Toyo Proxes is night and day. I had already replaced rubber all around a few months back, because I was so unhappy with the Goodyears. I had to then buy two new 20's for the front, due to the Razors being 20 inch around. I have two 19 in Toyo Proxes 4 Plus for sale right now for 300 bucks. Perfect condition with less than 3K on them. I have always had excellent service from Toyos.

Take care buddy, let me know if you need more info.

Mike

Thanks Mike, now you have me questioning if I should go with 20" all around Michelin SS or the Toyos...

Hey Madlock, thanks for the helpful advice. I guess it's just a matter of measuring how much room I have and then finding the right tire height.

As far as width goes, I'm actually having trouble finding the suggested width from Michelin for Super Sports. What's the widest someone has done on a 10" wheel?

• 3 months later...

Glad that this thread is still up :) . Glad that it was helpful for others as well. I finally got my new set of wheels and tires (After a year of mulling over it). So thought I'd share.

-Niche Lucerne Wheels 20x9 Front 20x10 Rear Chrome Black

-Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires 265/35/20 Front 295/35/20 Rear

Them tires sure make a lot of difference :thumbsup:

Finally got pic uploaded.

post-36971-0-23078000-1414006080_thumb.jpeg

Archived