TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Order Frustration

Tikigrill

Basically, I'm f@!king tired of this. I ordered the car 6 months ago. My delivery date has been changed 4 times. The dealer doesn't keep me informed. I feel like I'm being played.

It finally sounds like the car is on it's way. Someone please reassure me that all this terrible service is worth it. Please tell me this car will be so great that the excitement the dealer killed will return.

Sorry about the venting....

I'm there with you, Tikigrill! I'm only at a little over three months and my salesman does send me weekly updates (which amount to "no change"), but I'm sorely disappointed Ford and SVT customer service and transparency on this stuff. I don't believe that they CAN'T tell us when our cars will be allocated/built. I find it more likely they simply don't WANT to. Given what we're spending, and the fact that we're obviously "enthusiasts", we deserve better.

Based on yours an jnf's experiences, I guess I'm only half-way through this saga. Meanwhile, I have a line on the exact car I want, MINUS RECAROS, at MSRP. Trying to decide if it's worth trading away the seats I want for a sure thing now, or better to be patient and hope my dealer (and Ford) aren't just leading me on...

You guys need to find dealers who won't blow smoke where the sun don't shine.

I dealt with a very reputable guy ( the GM of the dealership ) and also a fellow TS member, and a new friend to boot.

Probably the most honest person I have ever met, and definitely the most honest car dealer/sales person I have ever had the pleasure of dealing with.

Nice guy all the way around and a true Shelby enthusiast.

Was kept informed all the way through, no BS, no sales crap. Just upfront information on the entire process.

I wonder if your dealers had allocations when you ordered and what priority number they put on your order. I know there is also a difference if they order it as a sold unit or as stock unit.

My salesman assures me they got 3 allocations and that my order was their "first and only one" when I placed it. I have a Vehicle Order Confirmation and a DORA both showing a PRIORITY 10 order with MY NAME on it having been placed on 18 Jun. In the meantime, they received one (not built to my specs) a few weeks ago. It was NOT pre-sold and sat on the showroom floor for a couple of weeks before selling for well-above MSRP.

I dealt with a very reputable guy ( the GM of the dealership ) and also a fellow TS member, and a new friend to boot.

Probably the most honest person I have ever met, and definitely the most honest car dealer/sales person I have ever had the pleasure of dealing with.

Was kept informed all the way through, no BS, no sales crap. Just upfront information on the entire process.

My salesman SEEMS like a decent guy. He checks-in weekly and responds pretty quickly but, to date, hasn't been able to decode/demystify the alllocation process/schedule.

Don't sacrifice the Recaros Norton.

They are the most comfortable seats ever.

That's definitely the direction I'm leaning, but I'm going to make some calls to determine feasibility and cost of installing them after-the-fact. I figure the only place I MIGHT be able to get them is Shelby American, since (I think) they remove/replace them in the SS conversion process. (Ford's already told me complete seats aren't available from them.)

Don't sacrifice the Recaros Norton.

They are the most comfortable seats ever.

That might depend on your size. I'm a big guy 6'3" and 290 and I find the standard seats more comfortable. I also love the new head rests on the 13's standard seats. Although the recaros do look really cool.

That might depend on your size. I'm a big guy 6'3" and 290 and I find the standard seats more comfortable. I also love the new head rests on the 13's standard seats. Although the recaros do look really cool.

Funny you say that. I'm 6'0" and 265 and my fat ass just fits in the Recaro's. I will agree though, if you can fit in them, they're great.

+1...

The dealer isn't looking as much as you would like him to. His #1 priority is the sell cars.

He sold you the car already, time to move on make some more money until delivery time.

At the end of the day, its all about money.

That part is just business.

Hope the update was positive and you get your car soon.

Everything depends upon how straight your dealer was with you to begin with about whether he actually had allocation and, almost as importantly, when the particular allocation happens to be for.

And yes, at the end of the day, Ford should be accountable for the quality of its dealer corps, the vast majority show FAR greater fealty to one another and the state franchise laws that protect them than the brand they're entrusted to represent. And barring the handful of token statistical anomalies, how many dealers have you met that you DON'T think would tell you anything they thought you wanted to hear to halt your shopping process in its tracks that could otherwise lead you to go elsewhere?

You certainly wouldn't be the first to be jacked around after placing a deposit and you won't be the last no matter which brand you shop I the car you want isn't on the lot - and even then...

Once an allocated order has been placed, it goes into the same scheduling hopper as anybody else's with the only influence over anything being the dealer-assigned prioirity code which is only relevant among orders from off given store.

Barring any actual material constraints that may impact a particular group of vehicles that require a given part, it's car takes 2-4 weeks to build from when it's scheduled and 1-6 weeks to deliver depending upon geography and what else may be in the pipe at the time.

Once you have a VIN, your car is getting made - period. You couldn't stop it if you wanted. Even if the dealer closed up in the meantime, cars in the pipe for that dealer would get built and sent somewhere else.

You're a passenger at that point and nobody can do anything to influence the outcome. All the calls in the world to CRC or SVT won't matter - unless you're the kind of guy who loves to stare at flightaware to see the plane move across the country a pixel at a time.

It's before then that matters and all you can do (presuming you have the actual dealer order number) is make sure it was placed. Nobody you can talk to at Ford can tell you whether an actual allocation exists or when the build will be scheduled if it does. It all comes back to your dealer, and you, to ensure you've asked all the questions you need to get the information you require to be comfortable.

Dealers know the block of time they have for their respective allocations, so one that can't or won't be even fairly specific are telling you something right there.

GT500 is otherwise like any other vehicle made in one location only - you can only sit and wait until your particular sausage squirts into its casing. Unless your car is being affected by something extraordinary (i.e. the plant roof fell on it) that would cause all parties to be immediately notified, it's going to be built and delivered subject to the same trends as everybody else's during the same period.

But as an FYI, more than 80% of cars since July are being built to spec for custom orders rather than dealer stock which says one hell of a lot about the degree of consumer interest and what's already been spoken for.

Once you're sure your dealer isn't yanking you, it's all about patience grasshopper and giving in to it like with any other car anywhere.

I'm there with you, Tikigrill! I'm only at a little over three months and my salesman does send me weekly updates (which amount to "no change"), but I'm sorely disappointed Ford and SVT customer service and transparency on this stuff. I don't believe that they CAN'T tell us when our cars will be allocated/built. I find it more likely they simply don't WANT to. Given what we're spending, and the fact that we're obviously "enthusiasts", we deserve better.

Based on yours an jnf's experiences, I guess I'm only half-way through this saga. Meanwhile, I have a line on the exact car I want, MINUS RECAROS, at MSRP. Trying to decide if it's worth trading away the seats I want for a sure thing now, or better to be patient and hope my dealer (and Ford) aren't just leading me on...

wait for the recarros. I've been looking for a race red vert for awhile, found one local without the Recaro option but after sitting in both several times at the dealer, the Recaros are way better. look cooler too

wait for the recarros. I've been looking for a race red vert for awhile, found one local without the Recaro option but after sitting in both several times at the dealer, the Recaros are way better. look cooler too

Thank you. That's my current plan, since I've now been told the seats aren't available for purchase from Ford or Shelby American.

I am also waiting but not that long. I placed my order in July. I have had the VIN since Aug 8th. The latest my salesman tells me is this email:

This is what I know.Your order was sent on july 05/12.ford has it in order processing on july 05 2012.Then on aug 23 2012 order processing as scheduled to week of oct 01 2012.All that I have is a schedule date for now.If this helps you your order number is 2016.Body code is p8j

I had a priority 10 from a medium large dealer in the Detroit area. Flat Rock plant where it is built is about 75 minutes from my dealer. Waiting for the window sticker to show but 10/1 is still 17 days out so it hasn't shown up yet. Still it is moving fairly fast compared to some of you other guy's wait. I should get it delivered just in time to put it to bed for the winter. But since I am in Afghanistan now I won't get to see it untill February of 2014. I have a long time to think about how fun it will be to drive it! :salute:

They can't because it's highly fluid that's as dependent upon every other vehicle going through the pipe as much as yours to determine what gets built when - even where it winds-up on the lot and whether or not it makes the first trainload or the fifth. UNTIL you have a VIN, the best any dealer can tell you is a rough period when it's likely to be built.

Even then, your dealer can't tell you exactly how long delivery will ultimately take. But once a VIN is assigned, the car will already have a scheduled build date with a week or two thereafter being the theoretical soonest your car will arrive - though even-longer if by train rather than convoy. That's the most visibility anybody has no matter HOW personal it may seem.

But for what it's worth, you're likely to have to wait to get the EXACT car you want as of all the cars scheduled this model year so far only 3 exist that are exactly as you've specified and each is/was for the East Coast. One is a scheduled custom order, the second is at a VA dealership awaiting delivery to the buyer who ordered it and Tasca sold first one made some time ago.

Madlock will have much more accurate insight on how the order fullfillment process works, but I can tell you that once your car is built, the logistics chain that gets it to you is broke bad. The car I was originally buying was built and released to Ramp 51 Aug 2, put on plant hold Aug 5. The last status update in the system, as of Monday, September 10, was ETA (dealer) Aug 22. The status date was Aug 23 (my transportation management system would spit that one out on an exception report, but it's pretty evident to me that Ford doesn't manage their outbound logistics at all). The dealer notified me on 9/11 that the plant informed him the car was put back on plant hold on 9/11, and not only could they not tell him why, they couldn't tell him when it would be released either. So I pulled the plug on that deal, and bought my car instead. Found out yesterday (9/13) that the car is on the rails, complete with rail car number and everything. I'm not too upset, because they would have missed my latest possible drive-up date anyway, since they sent it rail, but I wish I wouldn't have waited 2 weeks for the first car, when I could have bought this one earlier.

Definitely lots of complexities to the manufacturing scheduling, that can make projecting build date a "black art", but the outbound logistics should be much easier, more accurate, and very predictable. Ford's customer service is going to get a big goose egg from me on that one.

RECAROS: They're a must-have. Just finished an 800 mile road trip. A-M-A-Z-I-N-G.

Oh, and it's definitely worth the wait. :salute:

Archived