TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby American Collection annual fundraiser

twobjshelbys

Just a reminder that today is the annual fundraiser event for the Shelby American Collection. It is one of the 50th anniversary events and always has a group of the old Shelby American crew. Bob Bondurant, Jack Sears and Allen Grant are scheduled to be here.

Does anyone know if anyone from SAI will be coming?

Pictures will follow.

Here's the pictures from yesterday. Several replies will be needed to get them all in. I'm organizing by a theme rather than by strict time.

Note I have a video that is going to take some time to resize. It's 54MB. It may be a day or two before I figure this out since I've never done video before. The camera I used was my Nikon D300s. Normally I prefer the full-frame of the D700. I got the D300s to replace my failing D100 as a second body, and it is a DX format sensor, but also does HD video, and I knew there would be some cars fired up so I used the smaller frame camera.

First set is "general" photos.

Ford GTs. In all there were 5 there. I didn't know about show parking since I got my ticket on line and it wasn't mentioned. Those who called the museum to get theirs got "preferred parking". The rest of us were up in the nosebleed section.

DSC_1453.jpg

Allard. I don't know if it is an original or recreation but it was gorgeous.

DSC_1456.jpg

Ferrari 458 Italia. The paint was really cool. It changed colors in the light but appeared to be a grey with a splash of green.

DSC_1460.jpg

There were lots of original Cobras brought there by their owners (besides the ones in the museum). One especially is my favorite because its owner drives it. There will be more on it later. It is the 3rd one to the right (with the person standing by it). The second red car is an original AC Ace with the 6. Again more later.

DSC_1471.jpg

DSC_1472.jpg

Lots of Mustangs, but I didn't get very many pictures of them. Don't know why, just too many others to get this time and I've seen most of them before too. This KR was one I hadn't seen.

DSC_1476.jpg

A Kirkham "bare naked lady".

DSC_1478.jpg

Bob Bondurant (left) and Bill Murray (right). Bill (along with his brother Dave) is one of the principals of the collection museum and a world-class Cobra restorer. Most of the Miller cars were restored by them. Oh and he's a damn good racer too, racing Cobras and GT40s in Vintage Races all over.

DSC_1491.jpg

GT40 "J7" inside the museum. It couldn't be started because the starter went out when it was on a trip to one of the 50th parties. Dave is rebuilding the starter.

DSC_1517.jpg

Photo of Larry Miller and Otto Werlin. Otto was the owner of the black Cobra I mentioned above and a great supporter of the museum. His (now Peter's) car resides in the Museum over the winter months.

DSC_1519.jpg

Bob Bondurant driving a 1000HP Cobra replica. It sounded nasty and from the owners description it was a good thing there were no law enforcement officers nearby.

DSC_1520.jpg

1000HP Cobra engine twin turbo.

DSC_1560.jpg

Inside the museum.

DSC_1587.jpg

This is the section on the Cobras. This is CSX2052 owned by Otto (and now Peter) Werlin. It is a 260 (not 289). The 2x4bbl carb setup is very rare.

DSC_1462.jpg

DSC_1482.jpg

Peter, his daughter, and Allen Grant (one of the guest speakers, and Cobra driver) who came over and gave us a pretty good history on the car. Apparently some of the pieces on the engine are truly unique and showed that these early cars were pretty much built individually.

DSC_1502.jpg

The AC Ace badge from the red car.

DSC_1504.jpg

The Bristol 6-cyl that AC lost access to and what gave Shelby the idea of putting the 260 and 289 Ford into the body.

DSC_1503.jpg

DSC_1511.jpg

The AC and a couple of the other CSX2000 series cars had retractable steering columns. This disappeared later.

DSC_1505.jpg

This is CSX2210 - the blue car next to 2052.

DSC_1507.jpg

DSC_1510.jpg

Some more general things.

There is always a silent auction of Shelby memorabilia and collectables.

DSC_1534.jpg

DSC_1536.jpg

This is a signed (re)print of the GT350 design. There were some articles on him recently.

http://www.herald-journal.com/archives/2011/stories/chun-designer.html

DSC_1533.jpg

DSC_1532.jpg

This interesting print is on the wall in the men's restroom. I've never seen one any where else.

DSC_1538.jpg

Speakers. At about 5:00 there is a storytelling session with the guests. They tell stories of driving and working (and, at the end, living) with Carroll and the rest of the team. Everyone had some kind words to say about Carroll.

Peter Brock (the designer of the Daytona Coupe) was up first. I didn't get a chance to hear all of his because it started while I was over with the car with another friend who is going to help me with some racing stuff.

DSC_1547.jpg

DSC_1548.jpg

Bob Bondurant. His stories are the best and he really likes to tell them.

DSC_1553.jpg

Allen Grant and Jack Yager.

DSC_1561.jpg

DSC_1562.jpg

DSC_1563.jpg

DSC_1568.jpg

Mrs. Cleo Shelby. Hers was pretty emotional recollections of Carroll.

DSC_1571.jpg

Steve Volk (the major force behind the Shelby American Collection and owner of J7 among other notable cars in the collection), Bob Bondrant, Cleo and some guy who I still don't know who he is :)

DSC_1581.jpg

Next up: P1015.

GT40 P1015 is the 1966 Le Mans car driven by Ken Miles and Dennis Hulme in what was to be the photo finish three-way tie. The FIA judges awarded the win to Bruce McClaren and Chris Amon due to a technicality - they started later in the pack and thus had driven a slightly longer distance - feet. So Miles/Hulme in P1015 were awarded 2nd.

P1015 is currently owned by (the family of) Larry H. Miller, of Miller Motor Sports and Utah Jazz and tons of automobile dealerships in Utah and even one in the Denver area.

P1015 appears in many photos. I have this poster

2006.jpg

Seeing this car in person was the highlight of the day. Hearing it was even more awesome.

There are enough photos that I'll have to split them into two posts - daytime and night time.

DSC_1455.jpg

DSC_1454.jpg

DSC_1464.jpg

DSC_1465.jpg

DSC_1466.jpg

DSC_1467.jpg

Very sticky tires. See the rocks? Love that engine compartment.

DSC_1469.jpg

DSC_1470.jpg

DSC_1584.jpg

At about 7:30 they PUSHED the car back inside. This is where I get to see the car up close.

DSC_1592.jpg

DSC_1594.jpg

DSC_1595.jpg

DSC_1596.jpg

DSC_1597.jpg

DSC_1598.jpg

The car is not a perfect museum piece. It is vintage raced and shows stone chips on the front and other wear. It makes me glad that this is still allowed to show what it's got.

DSC_1600.jpg

DSC_1602.jpg

Inside. No creature comforts here. Switches have dyno labels!!!

DSC_1605.jpg

DSC_1606.jpg

Look at the dings on the top!!! See, I told you it was driven.

DSC_1607.jpg

DSC_1608.jpg

DSC_1609.jpg

DSC_1613.jpg

DSC_1614.jpg

The door has some scratches too. I wonder if something was dropped on the top or something. But it almost looks like a scrape.

DSC_1615.jpg

Rock chips on the front.

DSC_1618.jpg

What a car!!!

DSC_1619.jpg

Very cool. What is up with all the Ford GT pics? :hysterical:Looks like you got to see some history first hand! Cannot wait to see/hear the car start. I will have to turn up the volume and take it in! Thank you for sharing.

What is up with all the Ford GT pics?

Here's my dream. In 1966 Ford got 1-2-3 (and the real car in the earlier pics, P1015 was #2 in the staged photo finish).

The dream of the new folks that was started by a few "privateers" in the modern era is a 3-peat on the 50th at Le Mans of the modern GT40 - the Ford GT. Can you imagine the automotive history that it would bring? Alas, the best chance for it has vanished. Sigh.

Archived