TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Max age for tires

ingram4868

So my newly purchased 2007 GT500 only has 1000 miles on the completely stock car. My question is about the age of the OEM tires. Do the F1's loose integrity at this age? The car has been garaged so there is not direct sunlight exposure.

Thanks in advance.

This is an interesting post and I would like to know if any of our forum members in the tire business can shed some light on this. The build on my 2008 Shelby GT/BJ was11/07 or close if I recall. I have just a hair over 5000 miles on the stock factory tires. Car is garaged also, in looking at them I don't see any weather cracks. Seems like I recall that at around 5 or 6 years they should be changed out.

There always seems to be a post on here about original wheels with low miles for sale that are 5 or 6 years old.

GG

OK , instead of writing a very lengthy post - go to Tire Rack .com and click on "tires" ( just under upgrade garage ) or put into the search box "tire tech" and you will find a whole list of articles pertaining to tires , alignment , etc... Generally but , not legally (yet) the age limit is 6 years for automotive - radial passenger tires. Enjoy the articles - you will find many of them very helpful including how to find and read the age of the tire which is on the sidewall of every tire.

Personal experience is that tires are fine even after 8 years. My SGT tires are now over 5 years old (I need to actually check the dates of manufacture) and the tread looks great. At the rate I'm going I'll probably just change them at 10 years so as not to take chances.

I had read somewhere a while back that seven years was the number most used on tire safety as far as shelf life. They can deteriorate from the inside out too because of moisture buildup inside the tire. I would think that maybe filling with nitrogen might help as that stabilizes the fluctuations in tire pressure through temperature changes. I recently changed out the tires on my 1970 Mach 1 which only sees a couple thousand miles a year at most. I had read an article on how to read the date of manufacture and discovered mine were 14 years old. They had plenty of tread left (BF Goodrich's) and lots of tire shine products had kept the outside looking good but since I'll drive it to car shows up to 200 miles away I was concerned what might happen at 70 mph on the interstate one day.

I had read somewhere a while back that seven years was the number most used on tire safety as far as shelf life. They can deteriorate from the inside out too because of moisture buildup inside the tire. I would think that maybe filling with nitrogen might help as that stabilizes the fluctuations in tire pressure through temperature changes. I recently changed out the tires on my 1970 Mach 1 which only sees a couple thousand miles a year at most. I had read an article on how to read the date of manufacture and discovered mine were 14 years old. They had plenty of tread left (BF Goodrich's) and lots of tire shine products had kept the outside looking good but since I'll drive it to car shows up to 200 miles away I was concerned what might happen at 70 mph on the interstate one day.

The tires on our 66 with 4K on them became eggs at 70 MPH and it was ugly. 2 within 100 miles of each other. I read the posts and thoughts and lean toward the no more than 10 rule.

The tires on our 66 with 4K on them became eggs at 70 MPH and it was ugly. 2 within 100 miles of each other. I read the posts and thoughts and lean toward the no more than 10 rule.

Not a bad rule. If a car is trailered and never driven any distance of over 35 mph, I'd keep the tires as long as they looked good, however It you enjoy your ride at highways couple of times a year then think about the age of the tires before you hit the highway at speed. If your tires become flat spotted of egg shaped from inactivity then that should be a warning for replacement.

Back in the late fall of 1970 I bought a new Mustang that had spent nine months sitting in the dealers showroom before the new '71 models came out and they moved the car to a back lot where I spotted it. It had like 7 miles on the odometer and had not been test driven till I bought the car. I thought the tires were out of balanced and the first week took it to a shop to have them balanced. These were old bias belted F70x14's Uniroyal Tiger Paws and three of the tires were egg shaped where the belts had become separated in the tire. This was from the car sitting in one spot for so long without moving. Tire technology has improved exponentially over the years but you still need to watch them.

I've always gone by the 5 year rule for performance tires. True, if your car is a garage queen, keeping the original tires is important, but if you drive it, or are buying one to be driven, then don't trust the old tires. My Ford GT had 6 year old tires, and I ditched them for two reasons - 1. Age. 2. Even new the F1 Goodyears couldn't hold the road.

• 3 months later...

I just purchased a 2007 GT500 with 1950 miles on the car. I have had some work done allready.

Ford racing lowering and suspension kit

short shifter

cold air intake

pully change

custom tune

The car is very nice to drive with 563 HP at the rear but I am going to be at the shelby bash for the first time and think before I make the drive back to LV I would like to replace the tires. I would like some feed back on tires. I have been told by several people that a good street/track tire is the NITO 55. Can anyone comment on what you are running for street/ Track. Looking forward to meeting new shelby owners in LV, just booked my room Ye Ha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers

Chris

• 5 weeks later...

I have purchased two sets of nito inveos and will be getting another set in the Spring. It seems the magic smoke keeps escaping from them after around 15k. of course everyone know when you loose all the magic smoke from the tires the tread also disappears . :headscratch:

My 1974 Plymouth still has the original Bias Plys on it. They are showing some cracks, but hold air fine. 10,xxx miles on them - I wouldn't take them on a long trip though. :victory: . I would think that the 10 year rule on newer tires should be fine.

My 1974 Plymouth still has the original Bias Plys on it. They are showing some cracks, but hold air fine. 10,xxx miles on them - I wouldn't take them on a long trip though. :victory: . I would think that the 10 year rule on newer tires should be fine.

Would you take those tires on a track ?

The scary thing is that Shelby always ran Goodyear billboards on cobras coupes and gt40s at 220mph on bias ply tires

Would you take those tires on a track ?

The scary thing is that Shelby always ran Goodyear billboards on cobras coupes and gt40s at 220mph on bias ply tires

Tony, No I wouldn't, but then I never raced it when it was new (wife and 2 kids - race days were over for a time - Did lay some rubber at a Survivors Show about 10 years ago). I do drive it to local shows - none of our cars are trailer queens. I agree - the old bias ply were replaced with better handling and a lot safer tires - plus the cars are made to handle so much better.

Archived