TEAM SHELBY FORUM

NEW! Shelby Rear Shock Tower Brace!

Jer

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 2010+ cars are very very stiff to start with. I added the Cool Tech roll bar which ties the two shock towers together exactly like the SPP bar. I couldn't tell the difference and my lap times are the same. However I am not a race car driver! I only pretend to be one at the track... I'd like to see some data on whether it stiffens the chassis. Not opinion, just data.

One easy way to tell off the track, would be to use some sort of marking device on or next to the bar, then jack the car up on one side like you were changing the rear tire, then check for movement on your marker.

The marker could be something as simple as a piece of paper under the mounting point that slides up into the mounting point, then see if it will slide out when jacked up or not. You might even be able to measure any distance changes from the bar to the trunk/floor pan somehow...maybe even first by setting the bar on top of the mounting points before attaching and then after attaching...just thinking out loud.

I'm just guessing something like that would work to show body movement when there is force or pressure on one side of the car in a high "G" force turn....purely simulated in this scenario, and maybe even over exaggerated.

Just a thought....may not work, but just a thought.

Andy.

Still waiting for someone to comment if they actually feel any benefit with this......as in car doesn't twist as much during heavy turning or less maybe vibrations maybe because the chasis is more rigid details details......

I'll let you know when the snow melts for long enough to take her out for a spin.

One easy way to tell off the track, would be to use some sort of marking device on or next to the bar, then jack the car up on one side like you were changing the rear tire, then check for movement on your marker.

The marker could be something as simple as a piece of paper under the mounting point that slides up into the mounting point, then see if it will slide out when jacked up or not. You might even be able to measure any distance changes from the bar to the trunk/floor pan somehow...maybe even first by setting the bar on top of the mounting points before attaching and then after attaching...just thinking out loud.

I'm just guessing something like that would work to show body movement when there is force or pressure on one side of the car in a high "G" force turn....purely simulated in this scenario, and maybe even over exaggerated.

Just a thought....may not work, but just a thought.

Andy.

,,,,well ,,come this sunday ,I'm taking my car on a 1400 mile round tripe to mid - Florida and back for a few days to see a close friend ,,so I'll let you know if I feel any difference in the ride ,, I'm kinda sure their will be ,,with the way I drive ,,lol :hysterical:

Awesome Richard!!

I love the color match!! Great job.

Andy.

This is EXACTLY why we chose to offer a "raw" version. Nice job, Richard!

Jer

,,,,well ,,come this sunday ,I'm taking my car on a 1400 mile round tripe to mid - Florida and back for a few days to see a close friend ,,so I'll let you know if I feel any difference in the ride ,, I'm kinda sure their will be ,,with the way I drive ,,lol :hysterical:

Richard i will be in Orlando tomorrow Saturday to attend the Racing Performance, Inc trade show........let me know if you will be in the area....

Richard i will be in Orlando tomorrow Saturday to attend the Racing Performance, Inc trade show........let me know if you will be in the area....

,, OK,, my friend lives in Deltona off I-4 ,,but I will be staying at a Hotel in Sanford ,just off I-4 ,,I want be there until Sunday Morning ,around 10:00am or 11:00am ,,,it is always nice to meet a fellow TeamShelby member anytime ,, just let me know if you will be around that area Sunday ,How long is the Trade show ,,can you get me in :hysterical: ,,and yes I can meet you in Orlando too somewhere . take care ,,,Respectfully Richard .

This is EXACTLY why we chose to offer a "raw" version. Nice job, Richard!

Jer

,,,,YES I was thinking the same about the raw one,, I believe if Shelby Parts was to have some of them paint up ,,just a few ,in the paint shop ,, just to see if they will sell ,,say in colors ,red ,black and white ,to match cars ,might be a good selling tool for these later ,,,,just saying my .02 worth about it ,,lol :salute:

One really cool option for your customers is to polish then nickel plate!

That'd look great... As would car colors, etc... but too many choices makes for a lot of out-of-stock scenarios, and I really want to get inventory levels up so that never happens. So we've decided to let customers decide between a "finished" item (silver powdercoa) or something they can customize, with a discount they can spend having it done themselves.

Jer

• 2 weeks later...

,,,,,,,,,,,,,Well my tripe was great ,,and the ride was even better ,,I was on the interstate mostly ( I-10 ) , ( 95 ) and (I-4) ,but the ride felt better ,smoother ,hard to put in words ,, but it was different to me . " I like it " ,,GREAT Job Shelby Autos .

• 5 weeks later...

First of all I would like to thank Jer for making my order right. I had ordered the Bar back before Christmas and after a couple of weeks it did not show up. I emailed Jer and let him know. After a day or two he figured out what was wrong. They were out of stock, he sent me the one from his office that was used for the photo on the website and was also going to be for his car.

I sprayed it with a SIlver Metalic paint and installed this weekend. I have also included a couple of other photo's of my car.

IMG_3668_zpse036aea8.jpg

IMG_3283_zpsd9e0dabc.jpg

IMG_3670_zps488bd235.jpg

First of all I would like to thank Jer for making my order right. I had ordered the Bar back before Christmas and after a couple of weeks it did not show up. I emailed Jer and let him know. After a day or two he figured out what was wrong. They were out of stock, he sent me the one from his office that was used for the photo on the website and was also going to be for his car.

I sprayed it with a SIlver Metalic paint and installed this weekend. I have also included a couple of other photo's of my car.

Looks great!

Jer

• 2 months later...

Any update on this?

Still working on it. We test-fit a car last week, but aren't totally happy with it yet.

Thanks,

Jer

Still working on it. We test-fit a car last week, but aren't totally happy with it yet.

Thanks,

Jer

Dang. Just get a FRPP or Boss 302 X brace and 'backwards engineer" it!

I've played this game before...With Harley-Davidson (and their Screamin' Eagle Race Tuner (SERT)).

They got REAL uppity about it but it's all perfectly legit and legal.

Phill

Dang. Just get a FRPP or Boss 302 X brace and 'backwards engineer" it!

I've played this game before...With Harley-Davidson (and their Screamin' Eagle Race Tuner (SERT)).

They got REAL uppity about it but it's all perfectly legit and legal.

Phill

Nah, we're working on something BETTER.

Jer

• 3 years later...

Disinterring this nearly-four-year-old thread because I happen to know that someone just bought and installed one of these, and because I'd like to thank those who take the time and effort to post their installation experiences and photos. Thank you-all.

Chipping away the putty was much easier after I focused a heat gun on it for a while, which softened the material and heated the chisel. The grip-the-piston-rod-with-a-crescent wrench worked fine until the nut was undone enough to cover most of the rod's end; then it was vise-grips territory.

While all this was going on I hatched a plan to enhance the viewing experience, make the SHELBY stand out. I cut a piece of reflective vinyl and taped it to the back of the bar, with the blue side showing through the cutout. Happens that when you open the trunk and there is any amount of light or sky behind you, the SHELBY jumps right out. (The yellow thing is a bungee cord that fits nicely between two as-delivered holes in the trunk surround; I thread the cord through grocery-bag handles to keep them from tipping on the trip home.)

In this photo the carpet is a little rumpled; I figure on going back in there for a re-torque after a few hundred miles, will neaten it up then.

29800686705_5409058478_o.jpg

As far as ascertaining whether or not the bar has any effect at all, let alone sufficient to justify its price and installation hassle: it won't be easy. What worked for the front strut brace with oval mounting holes probably won't be useful on these, unless you divorce one nut-and-washer from its rubber bushing. On the front, it was simple: fill the oval holes with putty or modelling clay, clamp down the nuts until they gripped a bit but not factory-tight, make a few laps, undo the nuts and look at the way the bolts moved the putty/clay.

Archived