TEAM SHELBY FORUM

NEW! Shelby Rear Shock Tower Brace!

Jer

Shelby Rear Shock Tower Brace 2005-2013

S5M-20201-U-2.jpg

Now in stock!

Just as our front strut tower brace stiffens the chassis and enhances the handling characteristics of your Mustang, so does our newly-designed rear shock tower brace, and it does so without sacrificing available trunk space. It can be installed with simple hand tools and/or welded in place for additional rigidity. Available in powdercoated silver or natural finish that can be custom-tailored to match your taste.

Note:

The natural finish is VERY raw and oxidized, not "brushed" or finished in any way.

This brace does NOT fit with factory Ford trunk subwoofer, but DOES fit with Shelby/Kicker upgraded subwoofer.

Applications:

2005-2013 Mustang

2007-2013 Shelby GT500 clear1x1.gif

DBox_Border_Left_Bottom.gifclear1x1.gifDBox_Border_Right_Bottom.gif

clear1x1.gif

Check here for all the details: http://www.shelbysto...ode=S5M-20201-U

Jer

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think this is really cool that you can see the brace In the trunk. Has anyone tried putting in a rear brace? Will it really improve any sort of handling and, if so, if it is only noticeable on the track does this become more of a visual add-on part?

Still, I'm very interested in getting one. Are there any plans on creating them branded for GT500KR or others?

Looks better than the Steeda, GMS, etc., but isn't welding required?

Not required, but I'd recommend it for anyone who drives hard, track days, etc... There is definitely an advantage to doing so. Especially for convertibles.

Jer

What about a front brace for the 10-13 shelbys? I'd buy that.

Super Snake it!

BTW, did you get your tranny cooling scoop? I don't know how many are left, but you should be OK...

Jer

Looks nice - curious why if you were going to build it with a u - channel center section ( easier to laser cut "shelby" I presume) why didn't you bring the center down to a flat plate that could have been either bolted to or welded to the floor and create triangulation for strength like the one made by Ingalls . I will say it does appear better in design than the ones from GMS or Steeda which use rod ends and don't do any help for twist - just in/out flex ( which really is not a primary concern because the rear shocks articulate front to back ). Welding a rear shock tower brace is best when it is attached to the floor section in the middle (horizontal plane) and at the top of the 2 rear shock towers (vertical plane) creating a triangle and providing the most from adding a rear shock tower brace. JMO

I think this is really cool that you can see the brace In the trunk. Has anyone tried putting in a rear brace? Will it really improve any sort of handling and, if so, if it is only noticeable on the track does this become more of a visual add-on part?

Still, I'm very interested in getting one. Are there any plans on creating them branded for GT500KR or others?

The speed shop had a hand in developing and testing this piece, they welded it and said it paid great dividends. It's a great advantage anytime you can box your chassis to eliminate flex.

Really similar to the physics of a front brace. A good thing times two! And, I'll admit, it looks COOOOOL. The trunk carpet needs to be notched a tiny bit for a REALLY clean install if you're picky.

As for branding, here's my experience:

It was wonderful to build a part that fit SO many different Mustangs, without excluding model years or different models. A part that would be genuine Shelby, Made In USA, and universal enough to help me to keep plenty in stock for everyone - and it's STILL priced right for anyone. As soon as we brand the heck out of an item, we increase the difficulty to accurately predict sales velocity, estimate lead times, replenish our stock... because 1 item # becomes 5 or 6 item numbers. Leading people to say "SPP is out of stock again!" So, while there will ALWAYS be items that NEED the branding to be cool, you'll see me head in THIS direction on any parts where it makes sense. A good mix of both.

But I figured everyone would want the chance to make this brace their own, hence the "raw" natural option. Powdercoat it to match a Grabber Blue, Grabber Orange, or "Gotta Have It" Green car, and you won't mind that it "only" says "Shelby"! It'll be very "custom-looking" and show-quality, but extremely affordable.

:rockon:

Jer

Looks nice - curious why if you were going to build it with a u - channel center section ( easier to laser cut "shelby" I presume) why didn't you bring the center down to a flat plate that could have been either bolted to or welded to the floor and create triangulation for strength like the one made by Ingalls . I will say it does appear better in design than the ones from GMS or Steeda which use rod ends and don't do any help for twist - just in/out flex ( which really is not a primary concern because the rear shocks articulate front to back ). Welding a rear shock tower brace is best when it is attached to the floor section in the middle (horizontal plane) and at the top of the 2 rear shock towers (vertical plane) creating a triangle and providing the most from adding a rear shock tower brace. JMO

I'll talk to the R&D guys about it, but at that low of a height, it wouldn't be quite the benefit of (for example) the triangulation angle that the original GT350 "export brace" had. It's only a few inches (at best) away from the floor.

The left-to-right support is similar to the "free" benefit of a Watt's link frame, with the extra bonus of being higher in "the box".

BTW, we will always make the best part we can, and I don't care how "easy" it is to build or brand it.

If I make a part less stable or effective just for the ease of putting a logo on it, I'd lose sleep. Not gonna happen on my watch.

Thank you very much for your input, I really appreciate your insights.

Jer

I'll talk to the R&D guys about it, but at that low of a height, it wouldn't be quite the benefit of (for example) the triangulation angle that the original GT350 "export brace" had. It's only a few inches (at best) away from the floor.

The left-to-right support is similar to the "free" benefit of a Watt's link frame, with the extra bonus of being higher in "the box".

BTW, we will always make the best part we can, and I don't care how "easy" it is to build or brand it.

If I make a part less stable or effective just for the ease of putting a logo on it, I'd lose sleep. Not gonna happen on my watch.

Thank you very much for your input, I really appreciate your insights.

Jer

Jer,

Not trying to be annoying but your point of being so close to the floor is exactly why one would want to tie it into the floor section . The reason that the early GT350 export brace had to have so many folds in it's stamping was because the firewall mount was so far away from the shock towers and the Monte Carlo bar had to be straight along with being bolted to both the sides and top . The watts linkage is for side to side control not forward / aft ( the rear shocks articulate forward / aft - determined by the arc of the combined radius of the UCA and LCA as the suspension goes up / down. This is why you will notice that FRPP upper rear shock mounts ( M-18197-A ) are clocked in the mount position to prevent bind in the forward / aft. position. When building a full cage it is important to tie into the key suspension mount/pickup points and the top of the rear shock tower is one of those points . As previously stated - nice piece , congrats on the new job placement ( I've already noticed an improvement in customer service ) , not trying to rain on anybody's parade here - just throwing in my 2 cents. I know - what a trouble maker.

Super Snake it!

BTW, did you get your tranny cooling scoop? I don't know how many are left, but you should be OK...

Jer

Hello Jer....

Does the SS comes with a front brace?. I believe it doesnt...! Moreover, I believe there is not any available in the market!

Hello Jer....

Does the SS comes with a front brace?. I believe it doesnt...! Moreover, I believe there is not any available in the market!

Ooops! My bad... I misread the year there! Gotta stop trying to have discussions when sleepy!

This is why my wife is upset with me - after 12 straight days, I get my first 3 day weekend off, and I'm on the patio last night "working" on Team Shelby! LOL...

BTW, this rear brace has holes... It's metal... Stuff COULD be added... So if anyone wants a center "floor plate", etc... etc... lemme know, we'll look into it.

Jer

Now in stock!

Check here for all the details: http://www.shelbysto...ode=S5M-20201-U

Jer

SUGGESTION: Get a Boss 302 rear seat X brace and duplicate it.

Phill

SUGGESTION: Get a Boss 302 rear seat X brace and duplicate it.

Phill

We already have one that's nicer than the Laguna Seca brace.

We're still tweaking it, I'll talk about it when we release it. No ETA.

Jer

Super Snake it!

Jer

Ordering it tomorrow morning!! Why don't you guys look into doing an x brace for the engine perhaps like the new viper has? I've seen another car with it don't remember which one but that would probably be better than a standard strut tower brace. Or some other kind of braces that like the porsche gt2 has on the inside of the car. Though that may have been half a roll cage or something I don't remember.

Ordering it tomorrow morning!! Why don't you guys look into doing an x brace for the engine perhaps like the new viper has? I've seen another car with it don't remember which one but that would probably be better than a standard strut tower brace. Or some other kind of braces that like the porsche gt2 has on the inside of the car. Though that may have been half a roll cage or something I don't remember.

See my previous post...

Jer

The speed shop had a hand in developing and testing this piece, they welded it and said it paid great dividends. It's a great advantage anytime you can box your chassis to eliminate flex.

Really similar to the physics of a front brace. A good thing times two! And, I'll admit, it looks COOOOOL. The trunk carpet needs to be notched a tiny bit for a REALLY clean install if you're picky.

As for branding, here's my experience:

It was wonderful to build a part that fit SO many different Mustangs, without excluding model years or different models. A part that would be genuine Shelby, Made In USA, and universal enough to help me to keep plenty in stock for everyone - and it's STILL priced right for anyone. As soon as we brand the heck out of an item, we increase the difficulty to accurately predict sales velocity, estimate lead times, replenish our stock... because 1 item # becomes 5 or 6 item numbers. Leading people to say "SPP is out of stock again!" So, while there will ALWAYS be items that NEED the branding to be cool, you'll see me head in THIS direction on any parts where it makes sense. A good mix of both.

But I figured everyone would want the chance to make this brace their own, hence the "raw" natural option. Powdercoat it to match a Grabber Blue, Grabber Orange, or "Gotta Have It" Green car, and you won't mind that it "only" says "Shelby"! It'll be very "custom-looking" and show-quality, but extremely affordable.

:rockon:

Jer

Thanks Jer, appreciate the detailed response to this and everything else you're replying to out here. The care and extra effort you take really shows!

See my previous post...

Jer

No Phill is referring to the x brace that is inside the car where the rear seat would be on the leguna seca. I'm referring to an x brace that is under the hood over the car's engine. Thats how the viper has it. Essentially a x brace strut tower bar.

No Phill is referring to the x brace that is inside the car where the rear seat would be on the leguna seca. I'm referring to an x brace that is under the hood over the car's engine. Thats how the viper has it. Essentially a x brace strut tower bar.

SVT, you read my reply to YOU wrong... *I* was referring to the Porsche part of your note, not the Viper part. An X-brace under the already-tight Mustang hood is unlikely.

When I said "my previous post", I meant Post #15.

Jer

Does it fit with convertibles? Sorry, don't have the car yet, so I can't just go look...

Yes, I was careful to test it with one of our technicians. My personal opinion is that convertibles may benefit MOST from it, in fact.

Jer

Jer,

Can you get more pictures of an install...coming from a convertible owner....vert or hardtop would be fine.

I know you guys are busy, and truthfully this is probably lower on my list of mods...want to grab a tranny cooler first, but just curious about the trunk install for this one.

Thanks,

Andy.

We have an install guide... hit me at JerG@ShelbyAmerican.com, and I'll send it to you...

Jer

Hello Jer....

Yea Jer,

hoepfully you can design a front brace that matches the rear, doesn't cause the hood to bulge and it would be exclusive since they stopped making the FRPP one. And can't wait to see your version of the X-Brace for the rear....

The X-Brace will take a while. It's very cool, but I want to provide a great package, so we have a lot of details to work out.

As for the front brace, the fit is tight, it may not happen unless I can find a solution that's truly great.

Jer

Jer I'm definitely interested in the rear seat X brace. Would this be a full package as in including the rear seat delete? I would assume once you put this in you do away with your folding rear seats. Any thought of coming out with a rear seat delete that could fold down? I think that would be a great sell for people who really like having the rear seats fold down.

Jer I'm definitely interested in the rear seat X brace. Would this be a full package as in including the rear seat delete? I would assume once you put this in you do away with your folding rear seats. Any thought of coming out with a rear seat delete that could fold down? I think that would be a great sell for people who really like having the rear seats fold down.

We will most likely do it as a full package - so, no rear seats. It's not for everyone, but, hey, no more excuses for not taking the 3 kids to soccer practice! It's in the name: "rear seat DELETE".

Jer

To clarify on the subwoofer: Is the one that comes with my car with the Mach One Million, or whatever we're up to now, the one that'll interfere? Is there a workaround, other than buying the Shelby subwoofer you mentioned? What do you sell it for, if I have to go that route, and is there any way you guys ship to AK without doubling the price?

Package deal on the sub and brace?

Archived