TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Had my side skirts and rear diffuser painted...

Crushinator

There was quite a bit of prep work to make these smooth like the body, but man they did an awesome job!

I did the removal and install of the parts myself which saved about $200 in labor, so the final price was

$400.

For those wondering, the side skirts come off really easy. Plastic push pins along the bottom and another type of

white plastic pin along the sides/inside (not sure what they're called). There's one small screw at the back of the skirt and two

black pushpins at the front inside the wheel well. Once you get the plastic push pins out, you just give the skirt a

good tug and they come right off.

To get the rear diffuser off, you have to take the hole back end off...which may sound tough but it's relatively easy. Just

have to remember where all the push pins and screws go. Very similar to the front grill install, the hardest part it

getting the diffuser away from the body. Took about an hour each to take it off and install.

I ordered a small 7" set of stripes to continue them down the back where the new paint is. They're supposed to be

here tomorrow and it'll be finished. I ordered those through Tousley Ford, best prices around as usual.

IMG_2288.jpg

IMG_2290.jpg

IMG_2289.jpg

IMG_2291.jpg

Nicely done! IMO, this looks good and is worth it for light colors such as Grabber blue. BTW, better get some decent splash guards on the front if you don't have them - your nice side skirts may get beat up otherwise.

Nicely done! IMO, this looks good and is worth it for light colors such as Grabber blue. BTW, better get some decent splash guards on the front if you don't have them - your nice side skirts may get beat up otherwise.

... or 3M clear bra material.

Whoops... forgot to mention the paint mod looks great!

I love this, looks awesome. I would like to hear and see what it looks like after several thousand miles.

I would really like to do this to my car but am very worried how it would take to the roads. My car is a DD.

I'm definitely going to buy the 3m clear bra material to give it some protection as that area of the car can really

take a beating. However, as easy as the skirts are to take off, it wouldn't be too much effort or cost to have them sanded

and re-sprayed if they did get chewed up. But I honestly think that would take tens of thousands of miles to happen...which my car

probably won't see for a while...if ever as long as I own it.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like a disaster to me. Why would you do that? I have the same car, they had the black trim for a reason, it looks like a fat pig without it. Sorry.

"Disaster"? "Sorry"? Can you explain to the rest of us the real reason for the black trim? I'm especially interested in learning this from you, in spite of the fact that the 2013 models don't have black trim? It seems to me that your taste is your business, but there is no need to be insulting.

Crushinator, I think it looks great and am weighing the pros and cons of painting mine.

Looks like a disaster to me...That was my goal, to make the car look worse.

Why would you do that?...Just to piss you off.

I have the same car, they had the black trim for a reason, it looks like a fat pig without it...oink oink

Sorry...No need to apologize. Your negative comments don't mean squat to me.

• 4 weeks later...

Looks great. They sanded the texture off? I wouldn't have thought that would work. Changes the whole look of the car. The side skirts don't bother me much, but the stock bumper looks cheap with black plastic. The stripe continuation really tops it off. Definitely going to look into it.

Archived