TEAM SHELBY FORUM

To sell or not to sell.

MY500SS

Finally, the Cobra is a tinkerer's car. There was never something that didn't need attention - getting it "sorted out" took over a year, and about $15K with tuners, shipping to Roush, and all that. Then the clutch hydraulics. Two sets of full electronic ignition systems (one on the eve of putting it on the transport to the new buyer). I fondly remember the 60's but don't miss that kind of stuff all that much.

The GT purrs.

Except....

Don't buy a low miles car!!! Really. They are little time bombs. Mine sat with a little over 1000 miles from 2006 to 2008 when it got the axle bolt recall (miles from the Oasis report), then only had a total of 1350 miles until I got it. The result was fluids didn't get circulated, and in the end, the supercharger started leaking fluid from the bearings at the snout. I pulled the S/C and sent it for repair. Low miles cars can have latent issues that would have been covered within the warranty period had they even been driven for 2K-3K miles.

Plus they are VERY WIDE!!! Watch your garage doors.

Wow. Out of the vast majority favoring the GT, includind myself, I would listen to this guy the most! My opinion simply says that life is to short, live what ever dream you want or can! Besides, I am already jelouse of the cars you own now, might as well get the GT :hysterical: Whatever you choose, enjoy!

Wow, Dan. What a wonderful problem to have! Haha. Just the prospect of owning a FGT is pretty awesome, IMO.

I couldn't give you advice. I've always wanted a Cobra, and I'll still have one someday hopefully. The FGT is way too out of my range.

If I had the resources to do it, and the agreement from the "other half" on top of that... and it's something you want and have wanted, why not? The FGT's are hot ticket items. If it doesn't work I'm sure you wouldn't have much problem selling it. :shrug:

Wow. Out of the vast majority favoring the GT, includind myself, I would listen to this guy the most! My opinion simply says that life is to short, live what ever dream you want or can! Besides, I am already jelouse of the cars you own now, might as well get the GT :hysterical: Whatever you choose, enjoy!

By the way, I'm totally in favor of the GT. I have no plans to replace it any time soon. But remember that the prices for a modestly driven car equal or greater than MSRP and go up from there. Heritage cars and Yellow cars are getting premium dollars. I see lots of high quality cars moving through a couple of dealers, but private sales do happen, so put out the word to your "network". Especially, visit each and every Ford dealer in your area, and tell the sales manager that if someone has a GT that you'd be interested in buying it. Some people will offer a trade, but regular dealers won't touch them due to the high floor plan price, but if they have a buyer lined up that can change. The same applies to the exotic dealers (your local Ferrari, Rolls, Bentley and Aston Martin dealers). They are reluctant to take a Ford on their lot - it's a stigma thing - so someone looking for a new 458 with a GT to trade in could be a flip over only. On the other hand if you want a car now, they do have them but they get top dollar. I found mine private.

No matter what, get a PPI done (pre-purchase inspection) done on the car. There are a few guys that are experts and can tell if any repairs have been done. (The dealers I mentioned above won't touch a car that has had any major repairs, so trust them, but all others get PPI).

Good Luck!

Dan,

In your heart you already know the answer. No one here who knows you is going to tell you to keep the cobra over the FGT. Shelby Smith sells a ton of FGT's. Andy House also sells a lot of them. Texas seems to have a decent amount of FGT's go through it on their way to new owners. Dennis and Rich at the GT Guys will absolutely help you out and you know that Joey has ALL the contacts for east coast GT's!

As Tony said the Heritage and Yellow cars a premium. I might be able to get you into the Sonic Blue one for $300 or $400k :drop::hysterical2:

Dan,

In your heart you already know the answer. No one here who knows you is going to tell you to keep the cobra over the FGT. Shelby Smith sells a ton of FGT's. Andy House also sells a lot of them. Texas seems to have a decent amount of FGT's go through it on their way to new owners. Dennis and Rich at the GT Guys will absolutely help you out and you know that Joey has ALL the contacts for east coast GT's!

As Tony said the Heritage and Yellow cars a premium. I might be able to get you into the Sonic Blue one for $300 or $400k :drop::hysterical2:

You're absolutely correct Sean.............The FGT will be mine someday, I just need to look at all angles and listen to input from others.

Dan,

How about the original Heritage blue (without the orange bra)? It's a really sweet car with a huge history, but the bottom line is the Ford GT's really don't have a history yet. Thus I'm planning on driving the snot out of it.

With any luck mine will be stored this winter at the Shelby American Collection this winter. They Museum guys seemed interested since they have room.

How about the original Heritage blue (without the orange bra)? It's a really sweet car with a huge history, but the bottom line is the Ford GT's really don't have a history yet. Thus I'm planning on driving the snot out of it.

With any luck mine will be stored this winter at the Shelby American Collection this winter. They Museum guys seemed interested since they have room.

That would be cool Tony.

There a red w/ white stripe FGT brand new , untitled , no miles on the showroom floor at Zimmerman Ford / St. Charles Illinois . It ' s the owners car .

I didn't know I had "relatives" who owned a FORD Dealership :drop:

There a red w/ white stripe FGT brand new , untitled , no miles on the showroom floor at Zimmerman Ford / St. Charles Illinois . It ' s the owners car .

Dealers want exorbitant prices for MSO cars. They kept it because they wanted it, and won't sell it without a huge ADM. There is a yellow one somewhere in Kansas that has been for sale for over 2 years with an asking price of something like 250K. I asked him if he'd do MSRP he said NO, he wanted to keep it and had to have a price on it to have it in the showroom.

Dealers want exorbitant prices for MSO cars. They kept it because they wanted it, and won't sell it without a huge ADM. There is a yellow one somewhere in Kansas that has been for sale for over 2 years with an asking price of something like 250K. I asked him if he'd do MSRP he said NO, he wanted to keep it and had to have a price on it to have it in the showroom.

Last time I was in my local Dealership, I was told the Yellow FGT wasn't really for sale... They do however, have a Blue FGT avail at $200K... Will be glad to drive over (less than 5 mins from my house) if anyone wants some specific or detailed pics...

Dan,

I'm sorry I put you through all this agony. I should have never let you drive the car. I'll pm you my adress to send your therapy bills... :hysterical2:

I went through exactly the same process as he is, but I did it in private not on the forum. I do not regret the choice.

Archived