TEAM SHELBY FORUM

It has now been 4-5 Track Tests for this car that say the Brakes SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know when the first review came out putting the ZL1 over the GT500 due to the brakes everyone thought it was just that car or that they never heard anything bad about the brakes before that. Now almost every magazine around has the same problem, how can this happen in a $65K car, to me this is not acceptable. The latest Motor Trend pretty much said if you want the best Mustang ever get the Boss 302.

I just do not get how Ford lets this happen, this car should smoke the competition and it should do it stock, you should not have to change your brakes if you are just an enthusiast.

I am trying to figure out why the GT500 is having a problem with the brakes and the Boss 302 apparently doesn't. Is the true? Could it be the traction control causing the problem? Does the traction control only affect the rear brakes?

The answer to this is simple. Its A LOT easier to stop a car with 440 hp and 400 pounds less weight. Think about how much more force is required to stop a 662 hp car going into corners than a 444 hp car. Especially when one weighs a whole lot less.

And I have to agree with Devious I have only seen motortrend complain about the brakes and I believe one other. Maybe road and track or car and driver don't remember which. Plus the most recent motortrend article for drivers car of 2012 was done at the exact same time as the gt500 vs zl1 article. So they are just reusing the video and throwing in parts they didn't show us previously.

Though I agree Ford should have got off their lazy asses and found a way to make a 4 piston rear from Brembo work regardless of what problems the SRA causes, because even the aftermarket can come up with 4 and 6 piston rears to work just fine.

Hopefully wilwood will come out with a front and rear set that has at least the same rotor size and 6 and 4 piston that are properly balanced.

No problems here and I push the car hard in the twisties. I think the car motor-trend keeps using has a brake problem, I say this cause Van at Revan racing has tracked his car several times and has never gave a inclination that the factory brakes are bad. I think all he did was change the brake fluid.

My fault

I just looked back, it was Motortrend twice and it appears to be the same car so maybe it is the car. Car and Driver was actually the Oil Temp getting to high on the track. I could have sworn I read somewhere else, but maybe it was me reading the same article twice. For some stupid reason I get articles via e-mail and mail so I tend to read the same ones multiple times.

Good to hear no one is having issues.

No motortrend was the same car at the same time both times.

But for the street these brakes are fine. Bigger rear would just look nicer

No, The first car was Candy Red with White Stripes, The second was Blue w/ White Stripes. My Sister is a photographer for motor trend.

Oh that car. I thought your talking about the gt500 vs zl1 then again when they did the motortrend drivers car of the year award. Those 2 were at the exact same time.

The candy red car you are talking about when they tried to go for 200. Yes that one too they complained about smell and how each time it took longer and longer to stop 60-0. I think an easy way to prove this is for someone to take their car set up the 60-0 countdown on their dash and do it like 5 times back to back and see what the difference is.

I'm not a great fan of Randy Pobst, but I believe him to be fair in his assessment of vehicles. He gives the 2013 Shelby GT500 appropriate credit where it's due, but he is critical of it's brakes. Ford should take notice...

I felt the same way, that multiple articles were not happy with the brakes. I think Pobst in that Hot Lap video actually says the brakes are gone! sooo..... I was hoping this forum would point out where that weak point is and what are the steps to improve upon them:

1. is it the fluid?

2. is it a larger rear brake caliper?

3. Is it just a different brake compound (Hawk or EBC?)

4. Is it slotted / dimpled rotors?

Combination of the above depending on budget...

Or perhaps even better what are the steps in what order to improve upon the factory system... aside from spending $3k+ on new brakes front and rear

I felt the same way, that multiple articles were not happy with the brakes. I think Pobst in that Hot Lap video actually says the brakes are gone! sooo..... I was hoping this forum would point out where that weak point is and what are the steps to improve upon them:

1. is it the fluid?

2. is it a larger rear brake caliper?

3. Is it just a different brake compound (Hawk or EBC?)

4. Is it slotted / dimpled rotors?

Combination of the above depending on budget...

Or perhaps even better what are the steps in what order to improve upon the factory system... aside from spending $3k+ on new brakes front and rear

My questions too. Of course, i can't answer any of them yet, but once I get my car, my thoughts are to do the following:

1) Change fluid, and replace any lines that aren't stainless while I'm at it.

2) If that doesn't work, then probably new pads, at least on the rears (not sure if it carries through to the SN197s, but on older Mustangs the rears are essentially added weight; they don't do ANYTHING to help stop the car. I guess I'm operating under an unproven assumption that the problem is attributable to weak rear brakes, but don't have anything to base that on... By the time next spring rolls around and I've got the car back out of storage, I'm assuming a lot more will be written, if it's a real problem.

The only issues I've heard of are in reference to fade. The '13 doesnt not have any brake cooling where the ZL1 does. There is your answer.

At 101ft vs 108ft (per Motortrend) the GT500 out brakes the ZL1, even with it's single piston rear calipers.

If you read the MT article carefully, it says that the GT500 as tested was priced at $63,080. That being said, try to price one up on Ford.com and include the track package - you can't do it for that price. If I recall correctly, the track package includes additional brake cooling ducts, and the article specifically says that the one they tested had none.

I think if you are going to road test and compare cars on the track, you should include any options packages that would be suggested. Hint: "track package" seems pretty intuitive to me when testing on the track.

Price difference is notable, yes. But this article is not about price comparisons. It's about two cars in the same class with a road test. If you are going to spend $60K + on a muscle car and plan to use it on the track, you're probably going to spring for the track package.

See heres the thing to add 100 hp or more to a zl1 requires you upgrade the engine. So thats why lingenfelter and other companies have those packages costing 11k. So for less money the zl1 does give all the coolers plus a suspension that we won't ever be able to replicate.

So really it comes down to what suspension parts can we add to at least make the feel of these cars similar on the street.

Yesterday I did some spirited driving and I was going pretty fast in some corners and as stock this car actually made me nervous a bit that it was going to lose control. It feels planted doing normal driving but once you start pushing it like going 50 mph around turns you start feeling less in control. The understeer kicks in and it just doesn't feel like there is a whole bunch of traction as it stands.

So if say watts link,springs, and UCA/LCA fix that total cost 1k. And we can make this car turn 1g then really we can have a ride as well as a zl1 for a lot less money. Then that MR system will only yield a little bit more benefit rather than tons as it stands now.

And brakes at most front and rear cost 4k. So you spend a total of 5k to REALLY beat a zl1 (not just by 1 second) as oppose to 11k which is what the ZL1 needs to pay to beat the shelby every single time on every track and in every environment. Or if you add the track pack cost for the shelby then 2.5k so a total of 7.5k to beat the zl1. Or 8k if you pay full price for your car.

If you want to go further you could use the extra 3k saved for power mods and really put an ass whooping on everything.

A previous MT article (August 2012 - Power to the People article) references "new front-brake dustshields provide maximum cooling airflow". Does anyone have any detailed information on that, and if that is installed as a standard option? I wonder if they are effective and if the one they track tested had them?

Also, I still keep finding conflicting information on the cooling ducts. It would be nice to get a definitive answer from someone on them, if they exist, and if not whether there is any difference in brake cooling between a base model and one with the SVT pack and/or Track pack.

All with almost 100 less HP in the ZL1. :-)

I was just pointing out what Ford did to match the ZL1's base price. Putting the additional 81 hp aside, the ZL1 is a better balanced car for the money. The local dealer got one in April and he was selling it for MSRP. I would have bought it, but I just couldn't get past the claustrophobic interior, the Cheshire cat grinning grill and the bubble butt rear end. I was also a little disappointed to see that they were still using a pushrod engine.

I am very happy that I decided to get a 2013 GT500, in spite of the very frustrating ordering process. Ford sucks when it comes to answering questions.

I was just pointing out what Ford did to match the ZL1's base price. Putting the additional 81 hp aside, the ZL1 is a better balanced car for the money.

A more balanced Track Car I would tend to agree, but Ford made those options for just that reason. Personally I've never experienced brake fade on my GT500 because I'm not hard accelerating and stopping for prolonged periods of time. I would say with that in mind the GT500 is a more balanced daily driver and cruiser...and it looks so much better to boot.

The article I read showed a picture of the 2013 brake shield and stated that Ford removed some material to aid brake cooling. I haven't read the the MT article you referenced, so I can't comment on it. Maybe they are referring to the same thing I read in another article?

This is from the 2013 GT500 Owners Manual Supplement - Page 6

Shelby GT500 Unique Features

Front brakes: Brembo™ six-piston aluminum calipers with 15 inch x

1.3 inch (380 mm x 32 mm) vented disc, high air flow shields and

high-performance friction material pads

Archived