TEAM SHELBY FORUM

KR stock exhaust set-up question

Ford Fest

Curious what the KR stock exhaust setup is? My local dealer finally sold their 09 KR after all this time, $69,000. The new owner says the exhaust is to loud.

My thought was maybe we could swap my stock x-pipe from my 40th for whatever is on the KR. The KR would still have its sweet sounding mufflers and my Borlas might tame the KR pipe.

Thoughts?

That's about it. The stock GT500 "X" pipe was modified by Shelby basically by cutting the "X" section out and inserting a "H" section. Then the other difference was the mufflers which can be changed at your leisure.

Too me, seems pretty generous of the dealer to let you swap pipes, so if that's the case, get the whole system if possible. The mufflers alone are round $400 in value.

Man if the new owner thinks the exhaust is too loud, he or she bought the wrong car. Changing the exhaust on a KR is insane...it has to be the best sounding exhaust on any car I've ever hear. It doesn't drone at low RPMs or resonate badly in the cabin, but it barks out at higher RPMs...I don't get it. But to each their own I suppose.

Man if the new owner thinks the exhaust is too loud, he or she bought the wrong car. Changing the exhaust on a KR is insane...it has to be the best sounding exhaust on any car I've ever hear. It doesn't drone at low RPMs or resonate badly in the cabin, but it barks out at higher RPMs...I don't get it. But to each their own I suppose.

+1. KR exhaust note is amazing. This was one of the key aspects that attracted me to this car. It seems a bit weird to me that someone would buy this car instead of a regular GT500 if he doesn't like how the car sounds...

So, swapping the stock x-pipe with the KR h-pipe would not really reduce the volume on the KR? Would the KR h-pipe help with the volume on my Borlas touring cat-back system?

I have a set of KR mufflers to put on my 40th, but really like the looks of the Borla tips.

So, swapping the stock x-pipe with the KR h-pipe would not really reduce the volume on the KR? Would the KR h-pipe help with the volume on my Borlas touring cat-back system?

I have a set of KR mufflers to put on my 40th, but really like the looks of the Borla tips.

Volume of sound - No!, it would change the tone (different decibel note). Most likely from raspy to throaty.

+1. KR exhaust note is amazing. This was one of the key aspects that attracted me to this car. It seems a bit weird to me that someone would buy this car instead of a regular GT500 if he doesn't like how the car sounds...

+2

Ford and Shelby worked very hard for that sound.......................The best exhaust sound IMO. :worship:

The KR came stock with high flow cats?

I'll reach out to the new owner to see if he wants to swap my stock catted x-pipe for the high flow catted have-pipe. It could solve both of our problems. He's looking to take and I'm looking to open up the exhaust.

the KR does NOT have hi-flow cats from the factory. it has a custom shelby h-pipe and ford racing mufflers (part# m-5230-s). it has to be one of the best sounding setups for the '07-09 GT500s around. like others have said, why you would want to change it is beyond me.

i have those same mufflers and installed a hi-flow catted x-pipe and it was stupid, obnoxious loud. so perhaps there is an aftermarket cat setup on that particular vehicle? salesman should have shown him the ford fusion...pretty sure that's not too loud.

Not sure why he wants to change it out??? He took it on a six hour road trip and said it was to loud.

I lucked in to a set of KRs and plan to get them on, but need to pick up the H-pipe section and have it welded in. Unless I can buy a clamp on piece from SAI.

Yeah, that baffles me (no pun intended) on why someone would buy a KR - especially for $69K - and NOT love the sound. Like others, that sound is better music to my ears than the radio and I often wish I could be outside the car hearing it as it drives down the street.

I'm actually a little surprised the dealer found someone willing to pay that much for even a still new KR. Glad to see that data point on the car holding value though. Maybe I missed it, but what color was it?

Even a stock x-pipe?

fyi, you don't really need the h-pipe in my opinion. it sounds killer with an x-pipe, which is more efficient anyway.

Yeah, that baffles me (no pun intended) on why someone would buy a KR - especially for $69K - and NOT love the sound. Like others, that sound is better music to my ears than the radio and I often wish I could be outside the car hearing it as it drives down the street.

I'm actually a little surprised the dealer found someone willing to pay that much for even a still new KR. Glad to see that data point on the car holding value though. Maybe I missed it, but what color was it?

I'm glad to see they were able to fetch the money. I connected a couple of TS members with the dealer in the Spring and they offered $60,000 and the dealer wouldn't budge. The KR is triple black and is a daily driver for the new owner. Nice

fyi, you don't really need the h-pipe in my opinion. it sounds killer with an x-pipe, which is more efficient anyway.

Even with the 07 stock x-pipe? Looks like I'm going to swap out my Borlas for the KR mufflers this weekend. Would really like to keep the Borlas, but get more volume. I know it's just exhaust tips, but the Borlas look great and I'm big on keeping the car true to the 40th package that Shelby designed. Call me a purist, lol.

I heard the KR mufflers on a KR with 600 miles on the odometer at the once a month Caffine and Octane show here in Atlanta, and knew that was the sound I wanted. I installed the KR mufflers on my SGT and showed up the next month at the C&O show. The owner of the KR was impressed with how close it sounds on the SGT to the KR...not exactly the same, but very darn close. I've been in love with the sound ever since.

My guess on the "too loud" part is probably from when the new owner took the 6 hr ride home (if I interpreted that part correctly). Shortly after adding the KR mufflers to mine, I took it on a trip to Florida over July 4th, and I noticed that at 80 to 85 mph on the highway there was a large increase in the volume from the KRs that I didn't have from the GTAs (I think that is what the Stock mufflers on the SGT were called). Anything below 80 and it was not there...RPMs were in the 2000 to 2500 range if I remember correctly, and at lower speeds in same RPM range it was not present either. I was puzzled by this fact, and thought it was my imagination, but I noticed it both coming and going to FL on the trip.

For me...I didn't mind one bit the increased volume and I rarely drive that fast on the highway. When I was, there were plenty (and I mean plenty) of cars doing that and faster on the highway in optimum conditions.

That is about all I can imagine...you guys with the real KR set up on a KR may be able to try and replicate that scenario safely to see if you get the same results....I figured that I should have the same volume given the same RPM range, but I noticed a difference (even had to adjust the radio some).

Andy.

You're probably correct on the increase volume with speed. If the new owner took the common route it is a turnpike with posted 75 mph and you would get ran over if you observed the posted speed limit. Makes sense. Bet it sounded great to the rest of us.

Even with the 07 stock x-pipe? Looks like I'm going to swap out my Borlas for the KR mufflers this weekend. Would really like to keep the Borlas, but get more volume. I know it's just exhaust tips, but the Borlas look great and I'm big on keeping the car true to the 40th package that Shelby designed. Call me a purist, lol.

Yes, even with the stock x-pipe. I've had 2 sets of Borlas and personally, I don't care for them. My #1 setup was stock x-pipe with KR mufflers. When I added hi-flow catted x I had to revisit the muffler decision as the KRs just amplified the much louder system - to the point of ear pain. I'm now running hi-flow catted x-pipe with FRPP GTAs, which is a close #2.

Archived