TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Front License Plate

Some of you are concerned about installing a front license plate when you live in a State that requires them. Since the front flip out system is not available for the GT350 2011-2013, I decided to have a standard front Mustang license plate frame painted to match the front valence with stripes and install my personal plate and have it mounted. It works quite well.

100_1679.jpg

I did drill and screw the front plate on. No big deal as it is a street car and is required anyway in this State and 30 others with more trying to add the requirement each year. Like some other specialty car owners, I tried keeping the front plate on top of the dash, but it affects visibility and looks like crap.

With the plate up front I don't think the airflow drag will matter!

Since the car attracts a crowd when ever I park it, I personalized the front frame with: "My Other Car Is A Shelby GT350" to honor my 1966 toy as well.

Car nuts also love the tag I put on top of the supercharger designating it as a "Leaf Blower" (with all disrespect to Nissan and other plug-in rides).

Some of you are concerned about installing a front license plate when you live in a State that requires them. Since the front flip out system is not available for the GT350 2011-2013, I decided to have a standard front Mustang license plate frame painted to match the front valence with stripes and install my personal plate and have it mounted. It works quite well.

100_1679.jpg

I still find it ridiculous why some states require front license plates??? The worst is Texas as they require both plus make you put this big ugly sticker on your windshield! Florida, 1 plate plus renewal sticker is on plate so no reason at all except to rip everyone off on more taxes

It is so the police can identify the car from either direction as being legal on the road, or if stolen, etc. I do not understand what the big deal is as cars have had them at both ends for decades. So what if you cannot put your own NASCAR fan number up front! Big deal. I find the same complaint about as useless as not wanting to wear a seatbelt because it might wrinkle your clothes (more so without one in a crash). Anyway, the front plate issue is still with

us. We also have to have the annual registration sticker on the plate as they don't change the plate design or color every year and a vehicle safety sticker on the rear bumper or special holder showing the car had its annual inspection for working lights, horn, signals, legal tintv(no blackout), bumper/ride height, etc. Makes for a messy bumper and is pretty useless.

B)

Hopefully I won't jinks myself, but I have been driving my 65' stang with a GT 350 plate " not a personal plate" on the front of mine and have not been stopped. Even when I got my car 6 years ago I ran it around town for a while without front plates and never got stopped. I like your Idea of painting the bracket, it looks great!. Besides, just imagine everything people of done to the classic Shelbys over the years and even the worst basket case of a Shelby can bring in a healthy amount money, so I would not worry about the two holes you drilled.

It is so the police can identify the car from either direction as being legal on the road, or if stolen, etc. I do not understand what the big deal is as cars have had them at both ends for decades. So what if you cannot put your own NASCAR fan number up front! Big deal. I find the same complaint about as useless as not wanting to wear a seatbelt because it might wrinkle your clothes (more so without one in a crash). Anyway, the front plate issue is still with

us. We also have to have the annual registration sticker on the plate as they don't change the plate design or color every year and a vehicle safety sticker on the rear bumper or special holder showing the car had its annual inspection for working lights, horn, signals, legal tintv(no blackout), bumper/ride height, etc. Makes for a messy bumper and is pretty useless.

B)

Sounds like you have the dealers sticker on the rear of the car, since its no big deal. :finger: At least you made the bracket tasteful....good job.

Thanks for the responses. Having the front frame painted (it is a standard 2011 Mustang frond end license frame that is free from any dealer) was a small challenge as I needed to have the painter check the colors and stripe measurements. Since he was near the dealer and the dealer had another GT350 in the showroom, I had him go check that one so that I didn't have to drive my car to his his shop with the two mile pot holed and gravel road. Most of his painted cars have to come and go by transport! Anyway, it was quick and inexpensive. The dealer marked and drilled the holes and used the correct Mustang bolts.

Thanks for the responses. Having the front frame painted (it is a standard 2011 Mustang frond end license frame that is free from any dealer) was a small challenge as I needed to have the painter check the colors and stripe measurements. Since he was near the dealer and the dealer had another GT350 in the showroom, I had him go check that one so that I didn't have to drive my car to his his shop with the two mile pot holed and gravel road. Most of his painted cars have to come and go by transport! Anyway, it was quick and inexpensive. The dealer marked and drilled the holes and used the correct Mustang bolts.

How often police in Hawaii pulling you over if no front license plate? Considering the thousands in military with their own cars from other states I don't see that as a major concern

Actually it does happen. Military have 30 days to register for Hawaii plates, but they pay a very low fee. Frequently a one time warning is given. If the computer (each cop has one in the car, motorcycle cops call in) shows you have already been given a warning, you lose! Even if you have the tag on the fron dash or on the seat, there is no appeal. Cars that do not have the front palte holder, such as the GT350, Roush and Sallen cars,and a bunch of exotic imports, always have the challenge. How ofet they are given tickets or the amount of the fine, I do not know. I may have to ask for more information at car shows and cruises. The guys that really are annoyed are the Corvette and Ferrari owners who don't like the look. I just tell them to get a personalized (i.e., "vanity") plate like I did to soften the blow.

B)

• 2 weeks later...

There is a better solution. A retractable motorized license plate holder. Retract it so it's not displayed, then if you get pulled over, flip it up prior to stopping and then politely say to the Officer that you do have a front plate , and ask "What did it fall off or something?" and then he'll walk up to the front and then see it.. Then drive away happy with out a tag, unless you have a suspended license or something else wrong.... here is the link to it:

Front Plate Only...

To order it:

http://www.rpidesign...spx?itemid=1411

Video demonstration:

Or if you want to hide both plates like if you were showing your vehicle at a car show and you don't want anyone taking pictures of your plate here is the link for that product:

http://www.hideplate...nd-canada-model

Every retractable front license plate system that I contacted a year ago could not do it for the GT350 and the Boss 302 LS because of the bumper valance design. I am not sure if that has changed. All other models (GT500, GTS, GT, GT-H, Boss 302, etc.) were okay with the systems.

Archived