TEAM SHELBY FORUM

KR Prototypes

S8MS-01904

KR Prototypes:

Can I get some help understanding the “Prototypes”? I’m trying to understand the “early days” of the KR build. Might make for some good reading.

I’m aware of a few of the prototypes as listed below:

08KR003: Pre-production

08KR0010P: Driving Prototype – current owner R. Lane.

08KR01EPA: Used for CARB /CAFÉ federal regulations – current owner R. Lane.

Are there more than these three? What or where are the other ones if any? What are some of the differences and / or unique history of these prototypes. I’m sure one or more were used for tire testing, styling, or body fitment, but which ones? What kind of build dates and timing of these specials done before launch time?

The more we “capture” the uniqueness now will give us a better understanding when we tell the KR story to the public. I’ll have more questions once this thread gets input plus I’ll have another topic or two on the “KR specials” and “KR production changes thru the build”.

Thanks.

Boy that's an early build! Wonder what time frame this was? I'm sure it was rode hard, but you can't tell by these pictures.

Some notes about this GT500KR:

• Dev #2 Was built at AAI on 31 August 2007 and was the second oldest date that a KR was produced.

• Dev #2 Was never sent to Shelby for finishing, rather it used Roush carbon fiber pieces.

• Dev #2 Doesn't have a title and is destined to be scrapped at the end of its life.

• Dev #2 Was the only GT500KR destined as a "durability" vehicle for the program.

What about 08KR0006P. What was that used for.

milandragway015.jpg

Was there a 08KR0001C 1ZVHT88S975293079

If so what was it used for.

Also were these counted in the production number 1,011 or are they additional to that number.

According to the VIN# you supplied, it comes up as a 2007 Vista Blue GT-500.

Perhaps Robert or Steve can shed some light.

I don't believe that 1C (vista blue) was counted in the total KR production run, however, I could be wrong. It's not counted in the prototype and pre-production manifest.

There were a total of 15 test/prototype KRs assigned for the KR program. Five (5) will or have been destroyed at the end of life. One (1) was assigned to the program, but not used and three (3) have been sold off.

I hope this helps explain the KR program somewhat.

So...I've been building my GT500 to look like the Vista Blue prototype car...using the 20" Alcoa's, the standard GT500 deck wing, standard GT500 front splitter (it might be carbon fiber...looks like a wrap), standard rocker panels, and a KR hood that doesn't have the windshield washer squirters. Did this KR prototype survive?

08 Shelby GT 500 KR_09a.jpg

08 Shelby GT 500 KR_05.jpg

08 Shelby GT 500 KR_09a.jpg

08 Shelby GT 500 KR_05.jpg

89Saleen215, unless sent back to SAI for the KR Upfit Pkg. all '08 and '09 KRs have the standard GT500 unpainted rockers. BTW you've got a neat project there. Post some pics when you get it completed.

The KR numbers that have been given out previously include production cars only.

We also have to remember the crash test KR's. I'm not sure if those cars are part of the 15.

Steve

The crash cars were not included in the 15.

So...I've been building my GT500 to look like the Vista Blue prototype car...using the 20" Alcoa's, the standard GT500 deck wing, standard GT500 front splitter (it might be carbon fiber...looks like a wrap), standard rocker panels, and a KR hood that doesn't have the windshield washer squirters. Did this KR prototype survive?

Yes, it's in the CS museum in Las Vegas.

I rode in a black KR during the 'Hot Laps' at the Team Mustang Alley track event last Friday at the DDC, I was told it was a prototype. I didn't have time to make a mental note of the CSM# on the dash plaque and they wouldn't let us use our cell phones to take pictures.

So what's the KR number of this Vista Blue prototype? Looks like standard mirror caps as well.

post-10785-0-20051100-1345859193_thumb.jpg

post-10785-0-58323600-1345859205_thumb.jpg

post-10785-0-20051100-1345859193_thumb.jpg

post-10785-0-58323600-1345859205_thumb.jpg

I rode in a black KR during the 'Hot Laps' at the Team Mustang Alley track event last Friday at the DDC, I was told it was a prototype. I didn't have time to make a mental note of the CSM# on the dash plaque and they wouldn't let us use our cell phones to take pictures.

The black KR was 5P. It's a high mileage durability car.

So what's the KR number of this Vista Blue prototype? Looks like standard mirror caps as well.

If you zoom in on those pics you'll notice that they have the carbon fiber mirror caps and a standard GT500 splitter in carbon fiber and it doesn't appear to be the same as what the Super Snakes use...that's why I question if the splitter was just a carbon fiber "wrap."

• 2 weeks later...

Robert - here's one I've never been able to get an answer to,The KR Procal tune. Normally, FRPP ships a Procal tuner/tune for each vehicle. That would imply that SAI ended up with quite a few tuners that had the OE tune locked into them. Was the KR tune uploaded into the factory PCM via Ford service equipment that would allow all the KR vehicles to have a tune flashed to them or is there a box at SAI somewhere that is chock full of Procal tuners?

In addition, there has been little mention of the flashing of the ABS system unique to the KR as well. Does the KR utilize the FR500S ABS module? Here is one next to my stock '09 module...

IMG_8211copy.jpg?t=1303941910

No box full of tuners at SAI. Like the SGT the KR's used a tool that had multiple KR tunes that could be uploaded before needing the tool sent back to Ford/FRPP for more KR tunes to be added after the first batch were used up.

By multiple tunes I'm meaning one KR tune that is loaded into the tool multiple times for use on multiple cars.

Steve

Archived