TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Reflashing PCM

08krrick

A discussion ensued in my post on clutch mod regarding "don't let ford reflash the pcm". I contacted the service tech who did the clutch mod and he stated he did not relash the pcm. but, then he told me that they can't access the tune on a KR and they only reflash stock gt500s. which prompts another question. what if the pcm needs to be replaced? or another repair absolutely requires relashing the pcm? Is the tune still available from shelby and how would one get it? i'm only 450 miles from vegas, but.....

... they can't access the tune on a KR and they only reflash stock gt500s. which prompts another question. what if the pcm needs to be replaced? or another repair absolutely requires relashing the pcm? Is the tune still available from shelby and how would one get it? i'm only 450 miles from vegas, but.....

I suspect that if the computer needs to be replaced, a standard GT500 unit could be used, along with the FRPP ProCal tune for your CAI. I understand that Shelby also made tweaks on the traction control and possibly the ABS. Anyone know what-all was changed for the KR, in the way of programming?

• 3 weeks later...

A discussion ensued in my post on clutch mod regarding "don't let ford reflash the pcm". I contacted the service tech who did the clutch mod and he stated he did not relash the pcm. but, then he told me that they can't access the tune on a KR and they only reflash stock gt500s. which prompts another question. what if the pcm needs to be replaced? or another repair absolutely requires relashing the pcm? Is the tune still available from shelby and how would one get it? i'm only 450 miles from vegas, but.....

I see a problem here.

Because the KR is a PRE title car (modified PRIOR to sale), the Ford Motor Company HAS TO be able to reflash the PCM on it.

By Federal (Emissions) Law.

You didn't buy this car from Shelby, you bought it from Ford (or whomever the original buyer was). Hence, FORD has to repair it, not Shelby.

I've heard the same goes for the hood, wheels, splitter, etc...That when you go to a dealer to get any of those parts they try to send you to Shelby.

Nope, SORRY FORD! YOU sold the car like that so by law, YOU must be able to provide me with the parts (for 10 years post production).

It's a OE part, not a Shelby part.

Someone PLEASE tell me how Ford is getting away with this!

Phill

I see a problem here...

You didn't buy this car from Shelby, you bought it from Ford (or whomever the original buyer was).

Actually, you kind of did. I'm not arguing the point about flashing the PCM (if ever necessary) or the portion of the vehicle as manufactured by Ford. But the KR brings with it certain unique caveats. My understanding is that SAI was the manufacturer of record - not FoMoCo. Note a KR window sticker as applied by Ford and delivered to SAI in Las Vegas...

GT500KRwindowsticker.jpg?t=1346600231

SAI installed their own Munroney sticker (in addition the Ford's)

DSC08463.jpg?t=1346599823

SAI also applied a sticker over the 'NOT LGAL FOR SALE' portion of Ford's sticker, on the outside of the window (not all vehicles had the sticker installed according to some KR owners)

img_0197.jpg?t=1346599825

The vehicle was not legal until a specific list of modifications took place. Note who is on the certification sticker...

DSC08416.jpg?t=1346599819

Very interesting. As I have the same major complaint against all O.E.M. manufactures not having a open architecture for the programming of the P.C.M..

If anyone does "capture" the KR tune, they will have themselves a money maker down the road.

Keep us posted......

Hehe. I just asked a similar question regarding the ABS seconds ago in another thread. I've read (as has most everyone else) that there was a reflash to the ABS module as well.

Since I upgraded to the FR500S ABS module (very similar to OEM but tuned for aggressive on-track braking, etc) I'm beginning to wonder if SAI simply did the same.

And Lugs, I love the car in your sig. As time passes and the newest models continue to improve, I'm still impressed by it. I hope you are enjoying the crap out of it.

Tob

...And Lugs, I love the car in your sig. As time passes and the newest models continue to improve, I'm still impressed by it. I hope you are enjoying the crap out of it.

Tob

Still loving my KR, but haven't been driving it lately... Been playing with other toys, so the KR hasn't been out for a while. :)

• 2 weeks later...

OK guys, guess what happened to me today???? Well, I took my KR in to have them assess my intermittent clutch chattering and requested the 4th revision TSB. In the end, they said the clutch chatter is normal and I didn't get the TSB done. Then, they tell me. "But we re-flashed your PCM with an update" I Fn freaked out!! I told them that was for the GT500, not the KR. They said that it was just a software update that runs the computer. So, I drive it out of there and In one mile I get an engine code P0171, which means the engine is too lean. And of course, they haven't returned my call. Aghhhh.... :censored:

Shelbypt;

Hope the Dealer can make it right, that is always one of my BIG concerns about the Stealerships wanting to "do the right" thing.

Yeah, me too... I will keep this thread up to date on the outcome. I still have the KR, and Pro-Cal tune in my tuner. I would think that all I have to do, is insert the Pro-Cal tune back in? I'm going to make a few calls.

Guess I dodged a bullit. I just got my car back from dealer for my clutch TSB. I had them call the technician out so we could discuss the repair. At the end of the coversation I asked "Did you reflash the ECM?" He looked at me and smiled and said "No way, that thing is a KR and I know better."

OK guys, guess what happened to me today???? Well, I took my KR in to have them assess my intermittent clutch chattering and requested the 4th revision TSB. In the end, they said the clutch chatter is normal and I didn't get the TSB done. Then, they tell me. "But we re-flashed your PCM with an update" I Fn freaked out!! I told them that was for the GT500, not the KR. They said that it was just a software update that runs the computer. So, I drive it out of there and In one mile I get an engine code P0171, which means the engine is too lean. And of course, they haven't returned my call. Aghhhh.... :censored:

UGHHH.... I had my 4th revision TSB done with no questions or problems from the dealership (They already knew about the clutch problems). I spoke with my service guy, the technician and even the service manager. Even they understood NO Reflashing of the PCM because it was a KR and didnt want it to return to stock tune.

Mac

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have to say that the dealer here has done nothing, I even wrote an email to the vice president and haven't heard a word! No Reply!! I can't figure that out for the life of me. I sent the tuner to SCT where I have the stock KR tune, VMP tune, and Pro Cal tune in. They unlocked the tuner last week and I will re-install it my self later this week when it arrives by FedEx. Hopefully that goes well.

Archived