TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Super snake wheels would be made if Shelby performance ordered more? Every body wants super snake wheels, let us buy them from Alcoa ourselves.

SS730HP

:lurk:

2-3K wheels is a lot of wheels and a lot of coin.....

Are there 500-750 interested buyers? We are talking in the neigborhood of $.5M or more investment by Shelby America and thats assuming there is roughly a 50% mark-up.

More power to you if can be made to happen. I'll keep my fingers crossed for all those interested.

It can be done alcoa is clearly interested. The question is what is stopping shelby from doing this? Something shady going on here.....

• Replies 643
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jer,

You are going to destroy your credibility by repeating this line.

I know for FACT that the Dura-Bright process is alive and well. By repeating the hym "Dura-bright is dead", you are just digging a hole you will soon not be able to climb out of.

The reasons for the discontinuation of the Shelby Alcoa wheels is very obviously a business decision on either Shelby's part or Alcoa's part but knowing what we (the public) knows, that the tooling is still intact and the process is still available, tells me that the possibility to manufacture Shelby Super Snake style Alcoa Dura-Bright wheels still exists.

Phill

Unfortunately, Phill is right.

If it's strategic or financial, just say it and it will end the whole story.

Guys, don't shoot the messenger.

Your right I completely forgot the super snakes say super snake on them

The Super Snake logo is milled into the rim with a end mill. I can have the same Super Snake logo milled into my wheels if I so chose.

Shelby could buy X blanks in the standard wheel and have a milling/drilling machine set up to CNC the Super Snake logo on them, at will. That way when they get a SS order they just pull 4 wheels from inventory, clamp them in the milling machine (they actually have a "wheel machine", see OCC program for a view) and mill the Super Snake words into the rim. That would keep them from needing to have a double inventory, one for Super Snake wheels and one for non Super Snake wheels.

Too easy.

Phill

Too much of a risk for Shelby to take that size of an order and get stuck with inventory. If they were going on a current model car that would make more sense.

What exactly is the risk if they have deposits? The Alcoas are classics, already. You're suggesting people who are ordering new Super Snakes would actually prefer the new wheel vs the Alcoa? I think the majority of the people on this site would disagree.

Lastly look at the vendors on this site? Shelby is not the only who would have to stock this wheel. Others have stocked it in the past, why wouldn't they stock it again? Every vendor that has carried this wheel knows the demand still exists.

If Shelby can't or won't place a 2-3 thousand wheel order with Alcoa, than they need to give their design info to True Forged. The wheel needs to be made again by someone, and if that means someone other than Alcoa, so be it. The new manufacture can re-tool it and perfect the offset this time around. That opens up the entire market again for this wheel, including those who already have a set. Who wouldn't want the wheel in a perfect offset?

Too much of a risk for Shelby to take that size of an order and get stuck with inventory. If they were going on a current model car that would make more sense.

There is no risk with deposits that is why I recommended that. Do a 50% deposit. Make the wheels 3000 a set. So if someone backs out shelby just made 1500 dollars and has an extra set of wheels to sell or turn into super snake by milling the name in just like how Phil explained. I doubt anyone is going to back out of 1500 dollars. I understand invantory is the death of this business because of how much wasted money it is. No one is telling shelby to order 10,000 wheels and sell only 5,000. You make as many as people have deposits for and THATS IT. You won't lose a penny for holding extra invantory because you won't have any extra!

Are they going to sell 500 super snake hoods? No. Are they going to sell 500 watts links? No. Are they going to immediately sell 500 of ANYTHING ON THEIR WEBSITE? No. Are they going to sell out of alcoas almost immediately after posting them? YES!!!!

Unless there is some crazy reason no one is telling us this is so extremely stupid of shelby not to do. It would be TOO EASY and so stupid from a business perspective. You guys have a MONOPOLY on this market take god damn advantage of it. Why would a company say no to money. They have created a crazy ass environment by discontinueing these wheels.

What they are doing is the equivalent of not selling a dieing man in the desert a glass of water when that dieing man will pay big bucks for that glass of water.

We are in a desert and the alcoa wheels are our water. So shelby don't let us die.

There is no risk with deposits that is why I recommended that. Do a 50% deposit. Make the wheels 3000 a set.

No reason to make them $3000 per set, keep normal profit margins and reasonable prices and demand will be higher, more difficult to find buyers at $3K a set.

The Super Snake logo is milled into the rim with a end mill. I can have the same Super Snake logo milled into my wheels if I so chose.

Shelby could buy X blanks in the standard wheel and have a milling/drilling machine set up to CNC the Super Snake logo on them, at will. That way when they get a SS order they just pull 4 wheels from inventory, clamp them in the milling machine (they actually have a "wheel machine", see OCC program for a view) and mill the Super Snake words into the rim. That would keep them from needing to have a double inventory, one for Super Snake wheels and one for non Super Snake wheels.

Too easy.

Phill

I questioned this at a time when I had two spare front 9's (original Super Snake), and two spare 10's (Shelby Forged only). My machine shop guy said that it is a ball mill that was originally used for the letters and if it were a flat surface, no problem, the issues is, the surface is not flat, it is a curved lip and an articulating ball mill would have to be used. He said that few machine shops have the articulating feature that can follow the curve of the lip.

He also said that it "appears" that the wheel was Durabrighted, after the engraving to seal the natural/bare aluminum from the elements. If I were to have the letters machined into my wheel lips, without some sort of protective Durabright finish, the "after the fact" engraved letters would quickly begin to oxidize. There was also mention of the Durabright chipping on the edges around the "after the fact" engraved area. He also mentioned possible clearcoating, but it would really need to be just the letters............Sounded like a PITA to me, and shortly after I found a correct set of Alcoa's for my Super Snake wheel widening project.

The ball mill engraving below......

Picture1730-3.jpg

R

There is no risk with deposits that is why I recommended that. Do a 50% deposit. Make the wheels 3000 a set. So if someone backs out shelby just made 1500 dollars and has an extra set of wheels to sell or turn into super snake by milling the name in just like how Phil explained. I doubt anyone is going to back out of 1500 dollars. I understand invantory is the death of this business because of how much wasted money it is. No one is telling shelby to order 10,000 wheels and sell only 5,000. You make as many as people have deposits for and THATS IT. You won't lose a penny for holding extra invantory because you won't have any extra!

Are they going to sell 500 super snake hoods? No. Are they going to sell 500 watts links? No. Are they going to immediately sell 500 of ANYTHING ON THEIR WEBSITE? No. Are they going to sell out of alcoas almost immediately after posting them? YES!!!!

Unless there is some crazy reason no one is telling us this is so extremely stupid of shelby not to do. It would be TOO EASY and so stupid from a business perspective. You guys have a MONOPOLY on this market take god damn advantage of it. Why would a company say no to money. They have created a crazy ass environment by discontinueing these wheels.

What they are doing is the equivalent of not selling a dieing man in the desert a glass of water when that dieing man will pay big bucks for that glass of water.

We are in a desert and the alcoa wheels are our water. So shelby don't let us die.

In a simple world your theory make sense assuming there 500 takers for a set of four for an order of 2k wheels. Or, let's assume every taker wants a set of 6, are there ~333 buyers? Someone starting taking a count of all those willing to poney up a deposit. I'll be surprised if there are enough buyers to commit an order of 2-3k wheels. I would be surprised there would be enough up front deposits to fill an order of 400-600 wheels let alone 2-3k.

No question these wheels are beautiful, but as best as I can see there is a very small vocal group (a few dozen at best) begging for these wheels to be produced. I'll be happy to be proven wrong.

As for having True Forged produce the wheels, I'm pretty sure they do not have the capability to actually forge a wheel. True Forge mills/machines all of their wheels. Now that doesn't mean True Forge couldn't mill a wheel that very closely resembles the Alcoa but it will not have the Dura-Bright finish as the process is patented by Alcoa.

There is so much info here for me to comment on:

For now:

1. I only have the info I'm given. I wasn't here during the cancellation. With that in mind, my Durabrite info was not 100% accurate. The last thing I want to do is misinform. I'll continue to get more background.

2. 2000 wheels is a huge commitment for a wheel that would only be sold as a PART, and not be used to produce cars. I posted early on that the lack of volume from SA was a contributor to Alcoa's decision. I've got some ideas to pursue, I'm not out of the game yet.

3. Like most businesses, we operate to a budget. I'm trying to improve ALL off SPP's offerings, and you will see the difference soon. I have a few cool new ideas in the works, and will also be bringing back products that have been hard (or impossible) to get in the past.

4. If getting one fact wrong damages my credibility to anyone here, it will only be someone who doesn't know me. I humbly believe I've earned a few "mulligans".

5. Two weeks ago I was in exactly the same position you are all in, wanting SA to deliver the products I wanted. Again, as I've said, I "get" it.

6. I asked for feedback (maybe some other options: how about a cast wheel, or a different finish, what about pricing, etc...?), but I'm seeing a lot of people just pushing for the old wheel, no changes. Help me out, people, I'm TRYING HERE.

7. If there really is anyone thinking we have an ulterior motive (because "we have a different wheel we'd rather sell"), I can't help you. That's just not true.

8. If you want me to be here as a part of your conversation, let's keep it positive. I really am trying to do the right thing for SA AND all of you.

Let me keep working on this, please.

Jer

I think this is going nowhere...

SA does not want to have those wheels again (who cares why...?).

The REAL potential buyers are too few to make it happen.

There would be endless discussions about the retail price, the offered offsets, etc...

Have a damaged Alcoa? Sell the three remaining to a buddy as spares.

Like the new SS wheels? Buy them!

Don't like them? Go elsewhere...there are nice other ones.

In a simple world your theory make sense assuming there 500 takers for a set of four for an order of 2k wheels. Or, let's assume every taker wants a set of 6, are there ~333 buyers? Someone starting taking a count of all those willing to poney up a deposit. I'll be surprised if there are enough buyers to commit an order of 2-3k wheels. I would be surprised there would be enough up front deposits to fill an order of 400-600 wheels let alone 2-3k.

No question these wheels are beautiful, but as best as I can see there is a very small vocal group (a few dozen at best) begging for these wheels to be produced. I'll be happy to be proven wrong.

As for having True Forged produce the wheels, I'm pretty sure they do not have the capability to actually forge a wheel. True Forge mills/machines all of their wheels. Now that doesn't mean True Forge couldn't mill a wheel that very closely resembles the Alcoa but it will not have the Dura-Bright finish as the process is patented by Alcoa.

I was before forget about the durabright finish. But again we don't know who would pay. Clearly there are people because if a set of these wheels are on ebay they go for 4-5k so there is interest.

For now:

1. I only have the info I'm given. I wasn't here during the cancellation. With that in mind, my Durabrite info was not 100% accurate. The last thing I want to do is misinform. I'll continue to get more background.

2. 2000 wheels is a huge commitment for a wheel that would only be sold as a PART, and not be used to produce cars. I posted early on that the lack of volume from SA was a contributor to Alcoa's decision. I've got some ideas to pursue, I'm not out of the game yet.

3. Like most businesses, we operate to a budget. I'm trying to improve ALL off SPP's offerings, and you will see the difference soon. I have a few cool new ideas in the works, and will also be bringing back products that have been hard (or impossible) to get in the past.

4. If getting one fact wrong damages my credibility to anyone here, it will only be someone who doesn't know me. I humbly believe I've earned a few "mulligans".

5. Two weeks ago I was in exactly the same position you are all in, wanting SA to deliver the products I wanted. Again, as I've said, I "get" it.

6. I asked for feedback (maybe some other options: how about a cast wheel, or a different finish, what about pricing, etc...?), but I'm seeing a lot of people just pushing for the old wheel, no changes. Help me out, people, I'm TRYING HERE.

7. If there really is anyone thinking we have an ulterior motive (because "we have a different wheel we'd rather sell"), I can't help you. That's just not true.

8. If you want me to be here as a part of your conversation, let's keep it positive. I really am trying to do the right thing for SA AND all of you.

Jer

Jer as far as the old wheel I agree it may be too much trouble to get it. As I said before I feel a compromise would be best. Give us the old design but forget about the durabright finish. That is why I suggested true forge do the job if it falls in your budget since I'm assuming you have a contract with them now and that is why they are making all your wheels. You could even use this on the super snake. The super snake released was just a prototype that means nothing has to be final. Make a new true forged "alcoa" clone and make it the super snake wheel AND sell it as a part. Like you guys did with the actual alcoas.

Do it in the 3 finishes true forged offers. Powder coated black, polished, and satin or whatever finishes they have, just make sure black and polished are among them. I feel this could work and would make people happy. It shouldn't be so much of a problem because you guys are already having trueforged make new wheels and hopefully you have not ordered a large stock of those SS wheels that you have now.

For now:

Jer

Let's keep it simple then.

It has to be the real thing.

Same Alcoa wheel, same price, same sizes, same offsets, same finishes, same everything!

Start a thread ONLY for pre-orders, open to all.

Spread the word around, through sub dealers, other forums, etc....

Give a deadline to post (like a month or so) and evaluate just after it.

If enough people pre-ordered, get a production schedule from Alcoa.

Ask for cash from customers.

Order and deliver.

Does not implies much to try that.

Trying to keep up with the conversation here...however Im one of those people who would buy a set of black alcoas if they brought them back. Hell they dont have to engrave super snake or shelby forged on them if it will keep costs down and or make it easier to sell as not to piss of SA and the super snake owners. So make them again but if you want to put lettering on them then it should read" alcoa forged , or forged alcoa or nothing at all" hell I can buy a set of cool center caps, just give me the damn wheels in black! 20x9 front, 20x11 rear would be ideal....

the current SS wheels?? pure garbage in my opinion

Guys, thanks for cooling off a few notches, I really appreciate the more recent posts. Some good ideas there.

BTW, we have several wheel suppliers, not just TrueForged. And I will be talking to them all.

Thanks again,

Jer

Guys, thanks for cooling off a few notches, I really appreciate the more recent posts. Some good ideas there.

BTW, we have several wheel suppliers, not just TrueForged. And I will be talking to them all.

Thanks again,

Jer

My thoughts are to find a supplier that is willing to make 200-400 sets of the exact wheel without the Super Snake logo. Just have the Shelby logo in there. These wheels sell for so much on ebay and the other sites I can't believe you would not be able to sell a couple hundred sets.

They are selling for so much on eBay because you can't get them any longer. Supply and demand. Pretty simple, IMHO.

I like the design of the Alcoa wheels. I do not want super snake on my wheels because I don't have a super snake. Shoot,I'd be happy with no logo milled into the wheel. Just a nice center cap would be fine.

I'm on a budget, some of you aren't, but I can't swing $3000+ for a set of wheels. $2Gs would be pushing it for me at this time. Keep the price reasonable and offer a good looking product and you'll have a winner.

Trying to keep up with the conversation here...however Im one of those people who would buy a set of black alcoas if they brought them back. Hell they dont have to engrave super snake or shelby forged on them if it will keep costs down and or make it easier to sell as not to piss of SA and the super snake owners. So make them again but if you want to put lettering on them then it should read" alcoa forged , or forged alcoa or nothing at all" hell I can buy a set of cool center caps, just give me the damn wheels in black! 20x9 front, 20x11 rear would be ideal....

the current SS wheels?? pure garbage in my opinion

+ 1

I'd be interested in a second set. I have a widened and powdercoated set but would like a second set for daily driving. I don't really care what finish you offer - I'll custom powdercoat them anyway :)

I do not need any engraving on the wheel but would prefer at least Shelby...not a deal breaker though.

Consider that people by this wheel for other vehicles too, not just the GT500 series. Look at how you are marketing the product and fitmemt you describe on your website.

Do you own the design to the wheel or does Alcoa? If SAI maintained rights to the wheel, contact True Forged and contract with them.

They are selling for so much on eBay because you can't get them any longer. Supply and demand. Pretty simple, IMHO.

I like the design of the Alcoa wheels. I do not want super snake on my wheels because I don't have a super snake. Shoot,I'd be happy with no logo milled into the wheel. Just a nice center cap would be fine.

I'm on a budget, some of you aren't, but I can't swing $3000+ for a set of wheels. $2Gs would be pushing it for me at this time. Keep the price reasonable and offer a good looking product and you'll have a winner.

Several good thoughts there.

No matter what, the wheels will NOT say "Super Snake"... I WOULD like the Shelby logo, and a tasteful center cap.

And I would also like to keep the price as reasonable as possible, while still making a quality wheel.

Jer

Several good thoughts there.

No matter what, the wheels will NOT say "Super Snake"... I WOULD like the Shelby logo, and a tasteful center cap.

And I would also like to keep the price as reasonable as possible, while still making a quality wheel.

Jer

If you can pull that off I believe you will please most people. Good luck ;)

i'm still baffled why shelby american doesn't offer an 11" wide rear wheel in a range of styles, given the obvious issue with traction these cars have had since day 1. i don't care for the alcoas myself. they look like wagon wheels to me. i prefer the razors, but they simply aren't wide enough in back. so i'm still looking for a set of oem-quality rims for a decent price that doesn't scream 'aftermarket'....this is where shelby american should stand out from the crowd from a brand perspective, as the 'go to' place for all your best mustang performance and appearance parts. just my opinion.

Let's keep it simple then.

It has to be the real thing.

Same Alcoa wheel, same price, same sizes, same offsets, same finishes, same everything!

Start a thread ONLY for pre-orders, open to all.

Spread the word around, through sub dealers, other forums, etc....

Give a deadline to post (like a month or so) and evaluate just after it.

If enough people pre-ordered, get a production schedule from Alcoa.

Ask for cash from customers.

Order and deliver.

Does not implies much to try that.

:yup:

This

i'm still baffled why shelby american doesn't offer an 11" wide rear wheel in a range of styles, given the obvious issue with traction these cars have had since day 1. i don't care for the alcoas myself. they look like wagon wheels to me. i prefer the razors, but they simply aren't wide enough in back. so i'm still looking for a set of oem-quality rims for a decent price that doesn't scream 'aftermarket'....this is where shelby american should stand out from the crowd from a brand perspective, as the 'go to' place for all your best mustang performance and appearance parts. just my opinion.

Agreed.

Jer

Archived