TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Super snake wheels would be made if Shelby performance ordered more? Every body wants super snake wheels, let us buy them from Alcoa ourselves.

SS730HP

• Replies 643
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I found the the Alcoa Design Patent...

(attached)

USD597919(Alcoa Shelby Wheel).pdf

Frankly, I'm not just surprised but I am *shocked* that Alcoa holds the design patent for these wheels rather than Shelby.

That means ALCOA is the one that designed them and not Shelby. I would have thought SA designed them but thinking about it, I will ASSUME that Ford Motor Company played some part in having Alcoa design them when the KR was being designed and had Alcoa draw them up.

I was always under the impression that Shelby designed them and owned the *design* portion of the patent on them.

That changes the whole ballgame. No one other than Alcoa can make these wheels, at least not without a license agreement (i.e. money) from Alcoa. That means no "clones" from any other Mfgr. now that we know the design patent is owned by Alcoa.

Surprise surprise surprise!

Phill

At the time the Alcoas were introduced there was a commercial video made by ??? (Shelby? Alcoa?) that you could find on Alcoa's website and on Youtube that explained the birth of the Shelby Alcoa wheel.

It's still on YouTube...

So I am not surprised to have confirmation ALCOA designed and own the patent.

Listen to what Gary says at 1.17 and you'll get it!

So if Alcoa is all for it then the problem with these wheels being made is price price price. Most likely shelby wants it done at a cheap price, but they don't want to hold any invantory. They will want to have these drop shipped from Alcoa. That means if this in the end is going to cost Alcoa money then they won't bother doing it and same as in shelby. They have to come to some aggreement most likely where the wheels are dropped shipped and enough are ordered to justify the expense.

Given their rocky relationship in the past and how this is a small set aside for Alcoa, this isn't looking very hopeful.

Though if Alcoa holds the patent I am still surprised no other company has teamed up with them to make these wheels.

So if Alcoa is all for it then the problem with these wheels being made is price price price. Most likely shelby wants it done at a cheap price, but they don't want to hold any invantory. They will want to have these drop shipped from Alcoa. That means if this in the end is going to cost Alcoa money then they won't bother doing it and same as in shelby. They have to come to some aggreement most likely where the wheels are dropped shipped and enough are ordered to justify the expense.

Given their rocky relationship in the past and how this is a small set aside for Alcoa, this isn't looking very hopeful.

Though if Alcoa holds the patent I am still surprised no other company has teamed up with them to make these wheels.

:boring::boring::boring:

Well I guess Alcoa can make them for anyone they want if they hold the design patent. Can't believe these two got together and made a commercial for you tube together...and them stopped producing the wheel. If only Shelby would continue to use these wheels or offer them as an option on the new Supersnakes. The wheel they are planning to use for the Super Snakes will limit sales.

With all the hand wringing over offset/back spacing and tire size, can't believe Alcoa scanned the wheel well before they made the wheel. Guess someone thought it was the best size for this body style.

Well I guess Alcoa can make them for anyone they want if they hold the design patent.

That's kind'a what I was thinkin' too. They couldn't keep the "Shelby" part of the "Shelby Forged" logo but still....

And there MUST be some kind of licensing agreement (w/Shelby) for them not to be making them, or they just don't think there is a large enough market to make them.

Still puzzled,

Phill

Well I guess Alcoa can make them for anyone they want if they hold the design patent. Can't believe these two got together and made a commercial for you tube together...and them stopped producing the wheel. If only Shelby would continue to use these wheels or offer them as an option on the new Supersnakes. The wheel they are planning to use for the Super Snakes will limit sales.

With all the hand wringing over offset/back spacing and tire size, can't believe Alcoa scanned the wheel well before they made the wheel. Guess someone thought it was the best size for this body style.

Yes the new wheel is probably one of the two key element that causes the problem of not having the Alcoa back...! (The other one being the volume IMO).

Yes they scanned the outside fender clearance (and the brakes) but there is room inside, even without taking brackets out...A rear can be widened, inside, to 11" with no other mods.

Everyone:

Even with Barrett-Jackson in town and the major time investment there, the Alcoa wheel project is still high on the priority list, and we're hammering away at it.

Thank you all SO MUCH for your patience with this.

Jer

Good to hear Jer. Thanks for keeping us informed.

You're VERY welcome.

Jer

I'm on-board for a set. I could kick myself in the ass for selling mine a few months back. I love the wheels, although I have to admit I wish the rears were wider and had the proper off-set. If I get the opertunity to buy another set at a reasonable price I will have the rears widened.

DSC02651RS.jpg

Everyone:

Even with Barrett-Jackson in town and the major time investment there, the Alcoa wheel project is still high on the priority list, and we're hammering away at it.

Thank you all SO MUCH for your patience with this.

Jer

Thanks for the update.

Is there something as a community that can help make the decision a little easier? Maybe a thread that can get people to sign up for a pre order set?

I realize its most likely OUT of our hands as consumers, just looking to help. I would love to get a set in black. 11" rears too :)

Thanks for the update.

Is there something as a community that can help make the decision a little easier? Maybe a thread that can get people to sign up for a pre order set?

I realize its most likely OUT of our hands as consumers, just looking to help. I would love to get a set in black. 11" rears too :)

Yes!

I proposed that in this thread a while ago.

A thread JUST to pre-order Alcoas.

But there must be more to it, otherwise Jer would have done it already.

Yes!

I proposed that in this thread a while ago.

A thread JUST to pre-order Alcoas.

But there must be more to it, otherwise Jer would have done it already.

Exactly, it's totally unnecessary. I hope to have more news in a few days, but we have no need for such a thread.

Thanks,

Jer

The $500 price was when they went on clearance after production stopped (there may have been other various sales where that was the price also). The regular prices were $609/$619 front/rear.

Archived