TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Is the GT500 a scam?

supe

Wow, Five Oh nailed it there! That's exactly what this car is IMHO.

I don't believe collectible cars are made - I think they just happen and there's no way to predict with 100% certainty which cars will be sought after 30-40 years from now. Who in the 1960's knew that the Hemi Cuda would be the most prized muscle car of that era in 2006? I doubt anyone gave it much thought. They just bought it because it was fast and looked cool.

Unfortunately, we live in a highly speculative society spurred on the WWW I think. Crazy stock speculation leads to crazy real estate speculation and a few of those with a bit of $$$ now are wildly speculating on this car.

"Classic" car values are generally determined by rarity, aren't they? Well, if all of the "investors" come in and pay $70-$80k for 2006-07 GT500's with the sole purpose of selling it in 25 years for huge profits... I'd think that there'll be a bit of a market glut at that time.

B)-->

QUOTE(Five Oh B @ Apr 17 2006, 08:44 AM) 8307[/snapback]

At the risk of diminishing the appeal of the 2007 Shelby GT500, allow me to repeat something that I posted oh so many months ago............

The 2007 Shelby GT500 is really just the natural evolution of the 2003-4 SVT Cobra Mustang. If we left the Shelby name off of it, it would still be an awesome Mustang at 485hp, but perhaps there would be fewer speculative buyers for it.

If you are buying this car only because the word "Shelby" is stamped on it, then I feel bad for you as you're missing the point. However, if you are buying it because you ache for 485hp in a "relatively" affordable musclecar, then bravo!

For me it boiled down to this.

The original GT350/GT500 were production Mustangs that were then shipped off to Shelby Automobiles and modified in a unique way. Every one carried an individualized door plate. Carol Shelby was VERY closely associated with these cars, and the SHELBY name was displayed prominantly on them. There were not production volume quantities of them made. It was a niche market and that was fine by all involved. Because of all of these things, they are very desirable and collectable cars.

The "new" GT500 is a ground pounding, high HP, thumper for sure. Of that there is little doubt. But the car which will be exiting the production line is not what we were lead to believe it was at its introduction nonetheless. Carol Shelby has somewhat distanced himself from this car in many peoples eyes. The SHELBY name is displayed only in a mediocre form, not any different than that of a simple model designation. Ford seems to be pushing this car more and more toward the mainstream market, an economic driver I'm sure. There is really no uniqueness to this car, other than engine size and output. There are no performance numbers, other than claimed horsepower, on this car available (I have been out of touch on this for a while, so if they are now available, please accept my appologies) which some people find curious and even a bit disturbing.

It is what it is, and if that's what your expectation is, then you aren't/won't be dissapointed. I think the discussion comes in because that isn't the expectation that a lot of people had at the introduction of this car. It wasn't mine, so I moved on.

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Five Oh B @ Apr 17 2006, 09:44 AM) 8307[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

...in one eye I see 485+ HP in the other I see around $45000... :happy feet:

Hey, that's less than $100 per horse. I challenge anyone to find a horse that costs less than $100. :D

Sorry, it's late in the day and I'm getting a little goofy.

"The original GT350/GT500 were production Mustangs that were then shipped off to Shelby Automobiles and modified in a unique way. Every one carried an individualized door plate. Carol Shelby was VERY closely associated with these cars, and the SHELBY name was displayed prominantly on them."

This is only partially correct. Those who remember better than me can correct me but I believe Shelby started to loose control in 68 when prduction was moved.

"The original GT350/GT500 were production Mustangs that were then shipped off to Shelby Automobiles and modified in a unique way. Every one carried an individualized door plate. Carol Shelby was VERY closely associated with these cars, and the SHELBY name was displayed prominantly on them."

This is only partially correct. Those who remember better than me can correct me but I believe Shelby started to loose control in 68 when prduction was moved.

Yes, you are quite correct. 68' was the year the "bean counters" at Ford directed the production of the cars from Los Angeles back to Detroit, and then the cars got fat with options, cuz that's where the dealers make their money. Carroll essentally licensed his name and likeness to FoMoCo after 68'.

BTW a little trivia for you: Shelby's "plant" was on Imperial Hwy right next to the South runway of LAX. The building is now the FedEx termanal. Shelby and the boys would do speed "test" runs on the airport tarmac late at night. Don't forget this was 1965 through 1967; The airport was a completely different enviorment back then.

Archived