TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Test driving a SGT this week... opinions?

SaintnDE

http://www.willissmyrna.com/used-Dover-2007-Ford-Mustang-GT-1ZVHT82H075306024

I will be heading to test drive this in a couple of days. I have always dreamed of owning one, but I am new to the forum and Shelby's so just a couple of quick questions.

1. This appears, for all intents and purposes, to be a legitimate Shelby GT, but I am in no way an expert. Thoughts?

2. In you expert opinions, what would be a fair game price range for this? They are asking $24,900. Low mileage and it's basically spotless.

I stopped and peeked at it on Sunday while they were closed to avoid the sales hassle, but now I'm OCD'ing about it and can't get the damn car out of my head!

Thanks in advance!

*EDIT: also, any advice on what to look for in the way of flaws/problems while I am there would be a great help!

--Chad

Looks pretty clean but you could likely find one with less miles for the same money. I'd offer 23000 max for it. I know what you mean by OCD'ing on it. I did the same thing.

Pretty much the same car with MT on ebay with 1400 miles for 26k. Don't buy too quick, wait for the right car at the right price.

Get the VIN and check with the registrar for SGT authenticity. The most common problems with the '07 SGT's were the hood scoop not fitting exactly right onto the hood and small wrinkles or tears in the vinyl stripes around the hood scoop. good luck and have fun with the car when you buy it!

Chad:

Been there and done there so know what you are going through.

Great looking car with the best color combo (black with silver stripes). Check the stripes for spotting (a common problem on some cars).

Buy the car and you won't regret it. The only problem will be how to get the smile off your face.

Don

For what its worth, this one has the basic instrument cluster, not the Upgraded Instrument package (4 gauges instead of just 2). Make sure you get the options and features that you want.

Here is a quick summary for you:

2007 - Black & White

Hardtop only

Both Automatic and Manual (5spd) Transmission

Most were Black interiors, few had tan interior

2008 - Vista Blue Hardtop

Vista Blue Convertible

Grabber Orange Hardtop (limited numbers)

Black w/Red stripes (BJ Edition) extremely rare only 100 made (Hardtop & Convertibles)

Both Automatic and Manuel (5spd) Transmission

Black interior

2008 gained HID headlights

2008 Interior Upgrade Package included - MyColor Dashpanel colors (125 total color combinations) and other interior upgrades and included the deluxe 6-gauge package with message center (I think 2007 did have this as well)

2008 Ambient Lighting for front & rear footwells/cup holders (not sure if on 2007)

Hope that helps to let you know what was available on which years....can't go wrong either way, but get the one you absolutely prefer!

Andy.

Thank you all for the great reply's; great community thus far!

I am very anxious to get this test drive in and see what pricing numbers I can get. Might just be a new owner by the weekend.

Appreciate all of the tips, please add any more that you may think of. I still have a couple of days to sit here and wait... :wub:

For what its worth, this one has the basic instrument cluster, not the Upgraded Instrument package (4 gauges instead of just 2). Make sure you get the options and features that you want.

2008 gained HID headlights

2008 Interior Upgrade Package included - MyColor Dashpanel colors (125 total color combinations) and other interior upgrades and included the deluxe 6-gauge package with message center (I think 2007 did have this as well)

2008 Ambient Lighting for front & rear footwells/cup holders (not sure if on 2007)

Hope that helps to let you know what was available on which years....can't go wrong either way, but get the one you absolutely prefer!

Andy.

Are these mods/items that I can install afterwards? I assume the lights and such can be, but what about the upgraded instrument panel? I though I saw someone's SGT that had one that sat up on the dash?

The other thing you need to look out for especially with the 2007 MY is the aluminum 'rust' around the hood pins because of the use of stainless steel screws. You need to look for bubbling paint around the hood pins pucks.

Not sure if you're interested in a 'brand new' 2007, here's one for sale at a classic car dealer in Wake Forest NC with 199 miles still in the 'wrapper':

http://www.southernclassiccarsnc.com/index.php?action=view_automobile&id=645&module=automobilemodule&src=%40random471f92a174a84

There have been several for sale lately, I would just say buy the one with the options you want. Do you want an Automatic? If so this seems like a nice car, I would never buy this car with an Auto, but that is my opinion. Also to me the IUP is a must. Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!!

Do not settle for less than perfect. If it is not perfect, get the price reduced enough so that you can make it perfect(new stripes). There are many nice ones out there and you will want to take your Shelby GT to show and shines.

I love my automatic. I drive it to work in traffic often and this old left leg is getting tired. But then againI I have another Mustang to get my shifting fix.

It looks like an awesome car to me. Its a S H E L B Y.

From what I understand, you can do some of those upgrades after the fact, but it is very pricy so best to buy it with what you want on it and save the money for mods that will get you performance gains under the hood or under the rear axle. :happy feet:

Good Luck!!

Andy

Thanks for all the reply, gang. Really appreciate it. Bank is only valuing this at $21,000 so I have so work cut out for me.

Probably because they ran the VIN which goes back to the mustang gt it started out as. Most banks are not familiar with the Shelby GT package installed at SAI. I had to inform my bank about the shelby package so they would approve the loan at the higher amount.

Jeff

Probably because they ran the VIN which goes back to the mustang gt it started out as. Most banks are not familiar with the Shelby GT package installed at SAI. I had to inform my bank about the shelby package so they would approve the loan at the higher amount.

Jeff

How did you descibe it to them? I tried to while I was on the phone w/them but they didn't understand either. Is it something they could find?

Oh, she did ask me if it was considered a "kit" car, I responded with "no". Correct answer?

It is at a dealer and they probably have no idea what they have. I would offer $20K. You can always go up. Mine was at a Ford dealer in Delaware also. Sitting outside while road construction ws going on. Covered with dirt when I first saw it. Enjoy whatever you get.

How did you descibe it to them? I tried to while I was on the phone w/them but they didn't understand either. Is it something they could find?

Oh, she did ask me if it was considered a "kit" car, I responded with "no". Correct answer?

I don't remember what I said exactly but it took a little bit for me to get them to understand. I explained how the process of the Shelby GT was built/manufactured and they added the additional money to the loan. I paid 32,900 almost 3 years ago for a VB coupe with 500 miles on it.

and no it's not considered a kit car, you were correct answering no

Hope it works out for you.

Jeff

I don't remember what I said exactly but it took a little bit for me to get them to understand. I explained how the process of the Shelby GT was built/manufactured and they added the additional money to the loan.

This was GREAT advice. I just did so; explained the process and that they were tagging the VIN back to it's original "GT" state from the factory. The underwriter did his homework and now I have another $4K to play with.

Thanks a TON, Jeff! Hollowed ground for you, partner!

Try to explain to the bank that it is an available package from Ford. Explain that the car was completed as a Premium Mustang GT, shipped to Shelby for modification before being sold at the Ford dealership. If they look at Kelly Blue Book or other, Shelby is usually a "Package" option now. Looking at KBB it looks like it is a $4K add over an equally equipt Premium Mustang GT. I know that KBB values are normally not worth much, but hopefully it will help you get the loan value up.

Never mind. Looks like you just got that taken care of while I was typing! :)

Are these mods/items that I can install afterwards? I assume the lights and such can be, but what about the upgraded instrument panel? I though I saw someone's SGT that had one that sat up on the dash?

As Andy stated many mods can be made after it's "in your garage". First off make sure the dash plaque and underhood plaque are in place, these may not be replacable!

Thanks for all the reply, gang. Really appreciate it. Bank is only valuing this at $21,000 so I have so work cut out for me.

I would tell them (the stealership that is) just this.... the bank will only give me $21.... that's my offer, take it or leave it! If they want to sell the car they will work with you. My guess is they don't know what it is.

I think it is great that Team Shelby Members are able to tell Chad things to look for on HIS DREAM CAR. However you members that are Poo Pooing the price - You wouldn't sell yours that cheap - remember LOW MILES and AUTOMATIC - ONLY 508 made of the Black 07's with automatic. The 07 GTH's go for 37 - 38K at the auctions and the last 07 SGT that crossed the block (that I have found) was a #2 condition standard tranny and it sold for 24K. Chad - i think it is a good deal and if it fullfills a dream of yours and it checks out - BE HAPPY - like others have said "your smile won't go away". Just my $0.02 from a NJ KNOW IT ALL :burnout:

I would have paid $25K if I wanted it, but no sense not trying to get a better deal. I paid a little more for my white/tan 08 than I should have but I fell in love with the tan interior. A few thousand means nothing if you find the right car. You'll soon be WAY OVER that with mods, especially if the SC bug gets a hold of you! OH BABY!

I think it is great that Team Shelby Members are able to tell Chad things to look for on HIS DREAM CAR. However you members that are Poo Pooing the price - You wouldn't sell yours that cheap - remember LOW MILES and AUTOMATIC - ONLY 508 made of the Black 07's with automatic. The 07 GTH's go for 37 - 38K at the auctions and the last 07 SGT that crossed the block (that I have found) was a #2 condition standard tranny and it sold for 24K. Chad - i think it is a good deal and if it fullfills a dream of yours and it checks out - BE HAPPY - like others have said "your smile won't go away". Just my $0.02 from a NJ KNOW IT ALL :burnout:

I for one wasn't poo-pooing the price, I was telling him to try to get it as cheap as he could.

Archived