TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Pro Audio

Madlock

I have to admit, the $1,295 Shaker Pro Audio option is a quantum improvement from the system navigation-equipped GT500 owners were previously consigned to endure.

It's more than just the trunk-mounted sub (which I'm already swapping for the Shelby Kicker unit). All of the interior speakers are either up-rated from the standard set or simply sound better by virtue of much better power being supplied to them.

Even so, despite looking to the Ford parts catalog where I'd expect the individual speakers to be disproportionately expensive, I can't believe how inexpensive they actually are. It makes me wonder how "cheap" they may also be.

Does anybody know whether these actually differ from the baseline Kicker system and if moving up the Kicker totem pole would considerably improve them further? If so, what retail model of Kicker speakers come with Shaker Pro, and what does the baseline Kicker Audio system use?

Does the comprehensive Shelby upgrade improve upon the non-trunk Kicker speakers for the Shaker Pro system too?

Thanks to anybody who can offer any specific information.

What are you talking about? The shaker pro for 13 is ONLY an upgraded sub. I did lots of research on this talking with SVT, ford, my dealership, and Jamaal when I ran into him at an auto show where I specifically asked him about it. If you get the shaker pro you are paying 1300 dollars for a sub. The reason you think it sounds better is because there is more power. The shaker system also are sony speakers. The same as in other ford cars they just decided to call it shaker to be sneaky and attempt to sell a different appearing product.

If you really want good sound go look at JL audio they have a bigger sub with a built in enclosure so it looks way nicer than the factory one, and upgrade your speakers to alpines, boston acoustic, harmon kardon, bose, etc. I wouldn't go with kicker. I heard a pair and they aren't that great. But unless your an audiphile like me you won't notice the difference I really wouldn't change anything if I were you. Especially your sub because then you literally just wasted 1300 dollars.

If your going to do an upgrade you shouldn't have gotten the upgraded sound system and used that money for a jl sub with mini amp then upgraded all speakers to one of the mentioned brands. But If i was you I'd stay with the stock set up you have

I'm not an audiphile by any means, but that being said, I have no complaints with my Shaker Pro system. It's loud enough that I can feel the bass pumped out from the sub through the floor while I am in the drivers seat. I have a vert so even with the top down I can drown out most traffic noise and not hear my exaust except when I floor it. $1300 does sound like a lot especially when you look in the trunk and see this sub that takes up a quarter of the trunk space.

I'm not an audiphile by any means, but that being said, I have no complaints with my Shaker Pro system. It's loud enough that I can feel the bass pumped out from the sub through the floor while I am in the drivers seat. I have a vert so even with the top down I can drown out most traffic noise and not hear my exaust except when I floor it. $1300 does sound like a lot especially when you look in the trunk and see this sub that takes up a quarter of the trunk space.

Thats why I recommended the jl audi sub because it fits better and in an enclosure that blends in. Plus its cheaper I believe or close to the same price. Looks a hell of a lot better too.

That being said big subs in the trunk are not for me. Now if I could fit them in a corner or something like how people do it in corvette trunks well then I am game.

Actually Sony does not have anything to do with the shaker sound systems. The shaker sound systems are made by Ford audiopile brand. Ford had to redesign the door panels and the interior to handle the new highs and lows. They also improved the clarity which you will not hear listening to MP3's or the radio you need to put a CD in the radio or make an audio DVD of your hits in wave format to hear the improvements.

http://media.ford.com/images/10031/2013_Mustang_Callouts.pdf

http://media.ford.com/images/10031/M...hakerAudio.pdf

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/03/19/2...iew/#continued

I've upgraded both my 08 GT500 (Shaker 1000), and my '12 (Nav) with Kickers, which greatly improved overall acoustics... Not sure what type of equipment the Pro has, but I'd bet it's the same cheap paper comb Mexican-made speakers that its predecessors were equipped with… The Pro may sound better, but for $1,300 I guarantee that you could build a better sounding system. I learned my lesson with the 1000 on my '08, which is why I elected for the Nav on my '12.

I hope Ford conducts additional R&D for the '15s. Two key factors have been overlooked on the S197:

1) Speaker placement- If you had ears at your knees it might sound better, otherwise they should have installed components in the A-pillar or dash; and

2) Quality components- Remember, it’s a $1,300 upgrade (Shaker 1000 and Pro)… so what is the cost of the basic equipment? If you purchased the items through Ford, then tack on another $1,300.00- minimum! So… for $2,600+ (what Ford is basically charging you) what do have…? Definitely not at $2,600+ sound system, that's for sure.

Yeah, I know, some will say that they bought the car for the sound of the exhaust… performance… bla, bla, bla. So did I, but for $50-60K+, I think the car should have a quality sound system to match its performance. OK, I’m done…

I had the electronics package in my '10 and '12, which meant I didn't have the shaker 1000 with sub. I have the pro audio in my '13 and it seems that the highs are a bit better than the previous models. I have no idea if the speakers have changed or if the amount of power being sent to them is different, but the overall quality of the sound is better.

I've upgraded both my 08 GT500 (Shaker 1000), and my '12 (Nav) with Kickers, which greatly improved overall acoustics... Not sure what type of equipment the Pro has, but I'd bet it's the same cheap paper comb Mexican-made speakers that its predecessors were equipped with… The Pro may sound better, but for $1,300 I guarantee that you could build a better sounding system. I learned my lesson with the 1000 on my '08, which is why I elected for the Nav on my '12.

I hope Ford conducts additional R&D for the '15s. Two key factors have been overlooked on the S197:

1) Speaker placement- If you had ears at your knees it might sound better, otherwise they should have installed components in the A-pillar or dash; and

2) Quality components- Remember, it’s a $1,300 upgrade (Shaker 1000 and Pro)… so what is the cost of the basic equipment? If you purchased the items through Ford, then tack on another $1,300.00- minimum! So… for $2,600+ (what Ford is basically charging you) what to do have…? Definitely not at $2,600+ sound system, that for sure.

Yeah, I know, some will say that they bought the car for the sound of the exhaust… performance… bla, bla, bla. So did I, but for $50-60K+, I think the car should have a quality sound system to match its performance. OK, I’m done…

I agree with you on the last part though a lot of people think for 60k we should just accept low quality because it's fast

Here is something to think about and I learned it the hard way with my Boss. Ford uses really cheap speakers. The fronts are better than the base stereo in the Boss but even the Shaker uses the same speakers in the rear deck. The signal coming out of the factory head unit has been optimized to make the stock speakers sound as good as they can...or at least what Ford thinks sounds good. Just slapping in new speakers isn't going to help. The signal coming to the head unit will not take full advantage of the additional capabilities of a new speaker. You really need something like a JL Cleansweep to clean up the factory signal. If not you'e just throwing money away. Just adding speakers might sound a little better but you're not taking full advantage of your investment.

Here is something to think about and I learned it the hard way with my Boss. Ford uses really cheap speakers. The fronts are better than the base stereo in the Boss but even the Shaker uses the same speakers in the rear deck. The signal coming out of the factory head unit has been optimized to make the stock speakers sound as good as they can...or at least what Ford thinks sounds good. Just slapping in new speakers isn't going to help. The signal coming to the head unit will not take full advantage of the additional capabilities of a new speaker. You really need something like a JL Cleansweep to clean up the factory signal. If not you'e just throwing money away. Just adding speakers might sound a little better but you're not taking full advantage of your investment.

What is the JL cleansweep?

I agree with you on the last part though a lot of people think for 60k we should just accept low quality because it's fast

Yes, and complaining about it in the forumn is going to get you somewhere...

While Alan Muhalaly sits down in his executive chair with dollar signs in his eyes, please....

If you know someone to make the change then good, get it started, otherwise, it gets to sounding more like a support group.

Don't accept anything, just focus on the positives, because the little you can change do so and be happy, but don't dwell on why or how. It'll just piss you off more.

Yes, and complaining about it in the forumn is going to get you somewhere...

While Alan Muhalaly sits down in his executive chair with dollar signs in his eyes, please....

If you know someone to make the change then good, get it started, otherwise, it gets to sounding more like a support group.

Don't accept anything, just focus on the positives, because the little you can change do so and be happy, but don't dwell on why or how. It'll just piss you off more.

Oh I've always wished I could talk to the engineers and see what was their mind set on this crap but its whatever lol. I will just fix what is wrong myself. Already been in the process of doing that.

Fellas:

i had a complete JLAudio system upgrade in my 2012 GT350 Vert before it left SAI in Vegas

system works with the Ford Factory Head (so Sync, nav, etc. all still work) - completely stealth

sound is incredible!

if you want a parts list, etc. PM me

Pat

So the JL cleansweep says from what I can gather that it allows aftermarket systems to work with the factory system?

I've never upgraded speakers in a car so I have NO knowledge or experience in this field, I just know about how the speakers sound from the ones I have listened to in cars, but why would there be a problem with just switching out speakers and the components?

Also how does the cleansweep utilize the system more? It just seems like this allows the system to not interfere with the OEM head unit.

Well thank God SOMEBODY is keeping his eye on the ball after the embarrassments at GM and Chrysler. Were it not for Mulally and Bill Ford who had the stones to hire him, entrust him with his namesake legacy, dismiss the ignorant who claimed no "outsider" could POSSIBLY understand how to run a car maker - or Ford would've been just as expensive a national embarrassment churning the same kind of dreck as GM with other people's money and at the expense of every legitimate car making company,

Given the hundreds of billions in wealth he's responsible for creating or preserving, not to mention the taxes he pays, nobody's happier than me for him to go home as stinking rich ad possible each payday. Forget Ford. Nobody in the whole of Detroit has managed to be so productive and create as much value.

If that leaves me diddling with a great-but-not-superb sound system in the meantime as Ford copes with political favoritism and conflicts of interest that impose upon it North America's highest cost structure by far, I'm perfectly fine with where Ford's (and Mulally's) priorities are.

Well thank God SOMEBODY is keeping his eye on the ball after the embarrassments at GM and Chrysler. Were it not for Mulally and Bill Ford who had the stones to hire him, entrust him with his namesake legacy, dismiss the ignorant who claimed no "outsider" could POSSIBLY understand how to run a car maker - or Ford would've been just as expensive a national embarrassment churning the same kind of dreck as GM with other people's money and at the expense of every legitimate car making company,

Given the hundreds of billions in wealth he's responsible for creating or preserving, not to mention the taxes he pays, nobody's happier than me for him to go home as stinking rich ad possible each payday. Forget Ford. Nobody in the whole of Detroit has managed to be so productive and create as much value.

If that leaves me diddling with a great-but-not-superb sound system in the meantime as Ford copes with political favoritism and conflicts of interest that impose upon it North America's highest cost structure by far, I'm perfectly fine with where Ford's (and Mulally's) priorities are.

I totally agree with your statement. That is the reason why there are nothing but Fords in my driveway. They have made great strides in the quality of their cars and trucks in recent years. Yes there are hickups on the way, but those are taken care of by the recalls.

I totally agree with your statement. That is the reason why there are nothing but Fords in my driveway. They have made great strides in the quality of their cars and trucks in recent years. Yes there are hickups on the way, but those are taken care of by the recalls.

+1... Go Ford!!!

Don't mistake my statements for being critical towards him. I was saying his job is to make money, not solve nitpicky details. That was my point, my apologies if it was misunderstood. I am not brand loyal so I can't hop on any band wagon.

The Shelby is a very fine automobile, and I have no complaints or reservations. I made the right decision, with no compromise.

With regards to the stereo though, some are audiophiles, I don't quite understand all that, but it makes sense that others senses are more fine tuned.

• 9 months later...

I will chime in hear and say most factory cars will have poor to descent sound systems except the Lexus Mark Levinson system. I have the pro audio because it just came that way and I would prefer not to change much (maybe a cosmetic thing or two) I agree it could be better, but I bought the car for its engine, looks and just overall muscle car feel. If you go and get Steely Dan "Gaucho" DVD audio it might change your mind. I am not a super high end audiophile but have built Hafler systems, use Sonus Faber speakers played with Emotiva amps and Marantz processor.

Even my home system can not play all music, especially poorly recorded music. Forget Sirrus, the bandwidth will not support great playback.

If I could I would put my rhythmic sub in my car, but at 130lb its a little much. BTW its a great sub. I met with the fellow who invented the sub. A PHD in EE from UT, He actually deliver my sub to a gas station in Austin on a Saturday. Looked like a big drug deal I am sure, as I was waiting for cops to show!!!

http://rythmikaudio.com/products.html

I will chime in hear and say most factory cars will have poor to descent sound systems except the Lexus Mark Levinson system. I have the pro audio because it just came that way and I would prefer not to change much (maybe a cosmetic thing or two) I agree it could be better, but I bought the car for its engine, looks and just overall muscle car feel. If you go and get Steely Dan "Gaucho" DVD audio it might change your mind. I am not a super high end audiophile but have built Hafler systems, use Sonus Faber speakers played with Emotiva amps and Marantz processor.

Even my home system can not play all music, especially poorly recorded music. Forget Sirrus, the bandwidth will not support great playback.

If I could I would put my rhythmic sub in my car, but at 130lb its a little much. BTW its a great sub. I met with the fellow who invented the sub. A PHD in EE from UT, He actually deliver my sub to a gas station in Austin on a Saturday. Looked like a big drug deal I am sure, as I was waiting for cops to show!!!

http://rythmikaudio.com/products.html

On the other hand, 100-plus pounds of rear ballast probably wouldn't hurt the weight distribution.. :)

Archived