TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Insurance and OEM PARTS....

art4tees

When it comes to insuring my new 2007 Shelby GT, how critical is it to use a company that uses OEM parts for repairs? A fellow Shelby owner friend says it is important, but others say it is not that critical nowadays. I've been with GEICO for 10 years with another car and was just going to add the GT to the policy, but I heard they do not use OEM parts. I appreciate any advice on this subject. Thanks!

I don't know of any regular Insurance Company (State Farm, Allstate, Geico,etc....) that will use OEM Parts FIRST, if the Vehicle is 3 or more Years Old. You may have to use one of those specialty Companies.

State Farm does only OEM parts....regardless of age.

Kind of...

New OEM for NEW model years.

USED or RECON OEM parts for all others

Or Aftermarket parts after the first two choices are run through.

FROM the State Farm body shop checklist.

Parts Requirements .no model year or mileage restrictions for LKQ or Recond. Repair quality and cycle time should be considered in part selection. Use discretion. Example: don.t use an LKQ quarter if all that is needed is the outer panel.

.LKQ are applied first if applicable. Search 2 yards and document with quote numbers or who you spoke with

.Reconditioned OEM parts are applied second if applicable. Search all recond vendors for parts like bumpers, wheels, or headlamps. RPW search for reconditioned headlamps

.Aftermarket ONLY to be used for rads /conds /suspension/exhaust parts/mechanical/Chrome bumpers .NO CRASH PARTS. Document Vendor/Address/Phone #

.Glass .call After Hours Glass for price, markup %25 on estimate.

.OEM parts to be utilized after any and all alternative part searches have been exhausted

.A/M crash parts can be utilized with customer permission if the vehicle would otherwise be a total loss.

And from the company site itself

http://www.statefarm.com/insurance/claim-center/auto/replacement-parts-promises.asp

In reality, most of the bodyshops, from what I'm told by the shop managers, will use the new OEM parts because the added labor required to reuse a reconditioned part (like a hood) versus a totally new OEM part ready to be applied makes it cheaper to go that route. Also, parts availability can be an issued from what I hear for some models....just what I've been told by some. I'll ask the shops my customers frequently use again to verify, but from what I've been told this is the way things usually go.

In reality, most of the bodyshops, from what I'm told by the shop managers, will use the new OEM parts because the added labor required to reuse a reconditioned part (like a hood) versus a totally new OEM part ready to be applied makes it cheaper to go that route.

This has been true for me as well..

I have had GREAT luck with my insurance company, but they do have a non mandatory OEM parts policy for cars more then 5 MY old... BUT when my body shop has repaired my 2005 GT Mustang three times now, all three times they were able to reject the initial adjustment calling for used or reman parts do to quality issues and add a supplemental for NEW OEM parts.

Same deal for our 2003 F350, which just had front end body work on due to a deer strike...

Hopefully this isnt changing topic too much, but does anyone know of an insurance company that will do stated value for other than a non-daily driver collector car? I had my GTS built and want to get it fully insured for what I have into it, but my insurance won't cover the full value because they don't recognize the GTS and the collector insurance company I spoke with said I cannot go through them because I drive it daily...

Archived