TEAM SHELBY FORUM

What's the best tuner out there

Chance.316

OK so I've been good for a month or so but I'm starting to itch for some more mods. So I'm thinking of getting a tuner for the 07 SGT. What are some options I have out there and why is it the best in your opinions. No blower, and I'm not planning to get one so that's not important to me right now. Just basically stock with some dress ups and few minor tweeks here and there.

I think most people realize that one way to gain power is to re-tune your stock engine. And one way for the tuner to gain HP is to lean the fuel mixture. But leaning the mixture too much will add additional heat to the engine and to the combustion chamber and piston in particular. It is a slippery slope. Yes you can gain power but too much leaning will melt a piston. That is why I have also recommended using 93 octane, if at all possible - people on the west one third of the country do not have access to 93 on a regular basis and are limited to 91 octane, and having a 91 octane tune. Just an extra cushion of safety.

You MUST go to a reputable tuner! My advice is to talk with Justin at VMP Tuning, (Main page under the Sponsors thread), He can probably set you up via the phone/US mail/e-mail, but it'a always best to "do it on the dyno!"

Sam

Here is something to think about before having anyone tune your SGT.

http://stangsunited....tune-read-this!

That's a very interesting article. Do you have a personal recommendation for a tuner? My car is at Tasca right now for my GT/SC upgrade and it will be going back in late winter when I have the bottom end built up. The guys at Tasca have been tied in with Ford Racing for a long time, so I would presume that they know not to "cheat" the engine.

Archived