TEAM SHELBY FORUM

How Long Until We See Knock-Off 20' Alcoa Wheels?

The tooling wasn't destroyed, so it still exists. We don't when/if we'll produce them again though.

After all the hate for the new wheels across this and every other forum I suggest it would be extremely profitable for you guys to make the old alcoas again. Especially when the moment someon sells them they are gone within a week. You guys could have all that business instead of us just recycling the wheels essentially and wasting money on each other.

The tooling wasn't destroyed, so it still exists. We don't when/if we'll produce them again though.

I'm not sure why Shelby would let everyone who is re-selling their wheels capitalize on the Alcoa wheel market, and not get back in the game. Perhaps it is the same reason they have discontinued selling the high maintence SS splitters. I guess I just don't understand the car part business. It doesn't make a lot of sense having more security driving a classic Shelby, knowing if it got bumped or dinged, aftermarket parts are readily available, but if you wreck a simple splitter or curb a wheel on a 08/09 you're SOL. I wonder who makes all these decisions on Shelby's behalf and if they look at customer feedback?

I'm not sure why Shelby would let everyone who is re-selling their wheels capitalize on the Alcoa wheel market, and not get back in the game. Perhaps it is the same reason they have discontinued selling the high maintence SS splitters. I guess I just don't understand the car part business. It doesn't make a lot of sense having more security driving a classic Shelby, knowing if it got bumped or dinged, aftermarket parts are readily available, but if you wreck a simple splitter or curb a wheel on a 08/09 you're SOL. I wonder who makes all these decisions on Shelby's behalf and if they look at customer feedback?

They offer the ss cf splitter for 2010+ now again. Already ordered one. I just don't understand either why they don't offer the wheels. I wish Robert or Roger would chime in and explain. People want those wheels more than any other shelby part.

They offer the ss cf splitter for 2010+ now again. Already ordered one. I just don't understand either why they don't offer the wheels. I wish Robert or Roger would chime in and explain. People want those wheels more than any other shelby part.

I'd suggest buying more than one. You can no longer buy them for pre - 2010's. One day soon, if history proves correct, you won't be able to buy them for post 2010's.

I'd suggest buying more than one. You can no longer buy them for pre - 2010's. One day soon, if history proves correct, you won't be able to buy them for post 2010's.

Well its 750 and costed 150 for shipping so it cost me 900 dollars. Maybe I will buy a 2nd one if they offer a sale but not buying multiple ones at 900 dollars. I have a curb alert and from driving now around my area there is nothing really that hits my splitter. And the 13 splitter is lower than the carbon fiber ss splitter so I think it will be fine.

Plus from what they told me the reason it took them so long is because they couldn't decide on how they were going to make this splitter or who would make it. Apparently this one is not fiberglass then CF laid on top of it like the past ones. They said this one is a true 100% carbon fiber splitter.

I'm wondering for your splitter has it faded or changed color at all since you've had it for a while?

Mine is an '07 and the end/tip clearcoat is separating from the carbonfiber and has fallen off in one side leaving bare carbonfiber. Not good.

I called them and they told me their older splitters with the clear coats were having problems which is why they went with a UV gel coat this time. Idk we'll see how it holds up. They told me if it fades or anything within a year they will take care of me.

I called them and they told me their older splitters with the clear coats were having problems which is why they went with a UV gel coat this time. Idk we'll see how it holds up. They told me if it fades or anything within a year they will take care of me.

Interesting, I've been in contact with Wendy at SA about this and am waiting on a return call.

I hope they have the problem resolved on the earlier splitters as well.

Thanks for the info.

Interesting, I've been in contact with Wendy at SA about this and am waiting on a return call.

I hope they have the problem resolved on the earlier splitters as well.

Thanks for the info.

The earlier ones probably the customers are tough out of luck. Though I wonder how this gel coat will hold up. I don't know why they don't get OEM grade clear coat and throw like 4 coats on it so it will last years without fading like the clear coat on our cars or OEM cf parts. But I am glad they are now doing true CF parts as oppose to fiberglass ones with cf over it.

I think SA or an aftermarket co. is sure missing the boat by not making these wheels. If not SA having the original wheels made again or an aftermarket co. making a very similar clone. With demand for the old 20" SS wheels and the 18" KR wheels so high..... it seems like a no-brainer to me! $$$$$$$$!!!!! ?????

• 2 weeks later...

There isn't enough of a gap between the spokes for it to look like the alcoas. There is an even amount of space between every spoke. There are lots of wheels that do that. None I've seen do 2 spokes then a gap then 2 spokes again like the alcoas do.

Well... how long before we see wheel makers producing knock-offs? Anyone know the wheel industry?

Ford has a factory wheel that looks an awful lot like a Alcoa right now. I've seen a couple on a dealership lot that I had to take a second look at to be sure they weren't Alcoa wheels. The first time I saw them, I had to get up close to the car and really look at 'em.

Not as wide though....

Phill

Ford has a factory wheel that looks an awful lot like a Alcoa right now. I've seen a couple on a dealership lot that I had to take a second look at to be sure they weren't Alcoa wheels. The first time I saw them, I had to get up close to the car and really look at 'em.

Not as wide though....

Phill

5 bucks says you're talking about the wheels that come with the brembo package on the GT's. They have a very similar look.

If you go to SA's home page and click on VEHICLES, then click on 2011-2012 SHELBY GTS, the car has these wheels on it. I beleive they came on 2010-2011 & maybe 2012 Mustangs. They are great looking wheels! only problem they are only 8 inches wide... 18 x 8...... and cost about $325 which includes a core charge. ???

I have ordered a set of the 9.5 X 20 lorenzo wheels, If i do not like them I can send them back, I talked to the dealer and he said the wheels are very high end, they will be here friday and we shall see

They had better be... If you lose a car show because of chintzy wheels, you'll break your streak!

How many in a row now?

Jer

There isn't enough of a gap between the spokes for it to look like the alcoas. There is an even amount of space between every spoke. There are lots of wheels that do that. None I've seen do 2 spokes then a gap then 2 spokes again like the alcoas do.

I told Rick that, but he likes to spend money :hysterical:

Jer

They had better be... If you lose a car show because of chintzy wheels, you'll break your streak!

How many in a row now?

People line up to take pics of my car with them posing in front of it. I never won a show yet. I get the thumbs up everywhere I go and people stop and talk to me all the time. Guess judges don't like grabber blue. It seems 5.0 are more desirable then shelbys where I am to judges.

Jer

image.jpg

I'am well aware they are not Alcoa's, they are pretty close, 1/4 in space between the wheel and calipers, 91/2 all 4 corners, 40 mil off set, 285/30/ZR20, Tires on soon and yes I will be keeping the Alcoa's that I have.

image.jpg

I'am well aware they are not Alcoa's, they are pretty close, 1/4 in space between the wheel and calipers, 91/2 all 4 corners, 40 mil off set, 285/30/ZR20, Tires on soon and yes I will be keeping the Alcoa's that I have.

Alcoas are overrated I think you should sell yours to me :). I'll make it worth it for you

Archived