TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Owners of 05/06 Mustangs

orange whip 04

2005-6 Mustang GT's very, very rarely come through our service department.

Also, we are the only Ford dealership in Washington authorized to repair "reacquired vehicles" (lemons), so all the dealers within a couple hundred mile radius send their problem cars for our techs to fix. Mustang GT's just don't ever seem to be a problem.

The 2004 Mustang was rated the most reliable Ford (maybe even domestic) by Consumer Reports in their 2005 Buying Guide.

• 3 weeks later...

I have had my 06 for a month. A couple of problems have popped up. First, passenger door handle is loose (minor). Second, I have a noticable knocking noise from the engine on acceleration and sometimes at idle (major). Willl fix the first problem myself. Second one is beyond my ability and so it will go to the shop.

Single biggest problem with mine is keeping my foot out of it :)

I HAD gas fillup issues, but oddly it quit? I even filled up next to dealership- first fillup was there and blew gas all over the place- was running low and had to buy there again, no problems at all. another station that burped gas all over I tried again last week and it also was OK...very odd indeed.

gripes:

1) seatbelt hits cellphone- they need to extend latch up another inch or so, as its kinda hard to find...I'm not THAT fat.

2) drive by wire has exactly 6 second delay from lifting until engine braking- kinda silly. (hate hitting brakes when rolling past a cop...good way to get pulled over for sure).

3) seatlatch upper release should NOT affect setting, but every single time the kids get in or out, gotta readjust seat...should have separate pawl for upper latch.

4) think I blew a speaker already- pass door sounds messed up- non shaker here, dont usually play loud- just a couple times, apparently once too many times.

5) console makes knee kinda sore on a long trip- pretty hard plastic interior...still glad the extra money went in more important things underhood :)

6) cant powershift into third reliably- sloppy gate at 3rd, miss half the time. will get rubber the other half though :)

1) brakes are incredible. if the cars got 300 hp of 'go', its gotta have 600hp of 'whoa'.

2) power- but wish it had more bottomend...400-450 ft-lb would rock.

3) looks- my favorite looking ford ever second to 69 fastback.

4) sound- actually maybe that should be #1...it is perfect to my ear. sounds like a buddies old 327 vette w/fact sidepipes- best sounding car I ever rode in till I finally got this. tiny motor- very healthy sounding.

5) feel- best 'driving feel' I could have ever imagined in any car- except for the STUPID gas pedal. the car begs to be driven, and it fits like an old pair of boots...took about 30 seconds to lose that 'new car feel'. perfect layout/driving position.

6) the 5 speed. aside from kinda noisy, and kinda vague around third, the gear ratios 'feel right'. 5th is a bit of a turd, but heck, for 25mpg in a mid 13 second car, it works quite well...still drive highway in 4th sometimes as it just sounds so cool :) the stick adds so much to the fun I cant describe...every other car Ive ever had was auto...the extra interaction and control just adds another dimension. my trucks were always sticks, but they dont scoot like this car :)

7) price. I got 3 kids, other things to pay for...at 26k this car was not out of line, and worth every penny.

no regrets whatsoever here. just wish I'd have got an 05 earlier to have had another year of driving it. 3000 miles since december, and havent even gone anywhere...just drive for the fun of it.

I'm sorta qualified to respond to this thread. I am currently "between 'Stangs!" I had an '05, but I sold it a couple of months ago and now I'm pining over getting an '07. I may order one within the next few months. Have to wait and see how my budget looks.

I never had the gas fill up problem until about two months before getting rid of the car, then it gave me all sorts of headaches. I could fill my tank...3 cents worth of gas at a time. It was infuriating, and I intended to address the problem with my local dealer, but then I had to sell the car because I had a cashflow problem. As in, no cash was flowing! ha ha

I agree with the seat belt causing fit problems with hip-mounted cell phones. I'd get in and the seat belt would literally pop my cell phone off my belt! Kind of annoying. Never tried putting my cell on my left side. Perhaps that would work? It would feel weird, though.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I was the only one! I too had the Gas Tank Fill-up Phantom for three or four weeks :cry: . I never did figure out what the problem was, but I didn't change gas stations, the station didn't change pumps, and it hasn't happened in months. No other problems with my 2005 Mustang GT Premium with a manual transmission in 1 year and 6500 miles. Of course, I am 1st on the list for a Shelby GT500 at a local dealer, so I will have to part with my GT soon.... :woohoo:

Guest markham51

Got one of the very first GTs available. Only had one minor problem, CD player ocassionaly skipped and had replaced. Very reliable and fun car! No other problems.

I have had my car since June of 05 and its awesome to me !!! :rockon: 10K miles troulbe free!!! :shift: What a pony!!! This coming from a convert Chevy guy as of June 05. What was i thinking all those years!!! :finger:

post-4943-1148387668_thumb.jpg

post-4943-1148387712_thumb.jpg

post-4943-1148387668_thumb.jpg

post-4943-1148387712_thumb.jpg

I had the same gas problem. There is a TSB for the fill up problem, take it in, they can fix it. It's just the way the earlier cars' tanks were vented, made the pump think it was full. Hence the $.03 per squeeze. Also had a banging noice from control arm while turning lock to lock. Another TSB for that found online, took it in got it replaced.

Great car, had it hesitate once after turning a corner, 3/4 tank, so I don't know what happened.

Just picked up an 06 Torch Red GT 5 Speed. Whata kick in the a** (literally)! My son got his 2 weeks ago. First look was at a GTO, what a disappointment.......Certainly a difference from my 99 Expy (which I kept). Looking forward to alot of wisdom and recommendations from everyone here.

Keith

I have had my 06 for a month. A couple of problems have popped up. First, passenger door handle is loose (minor). Second, I have a noticable knocking noise from the engine on acceleration and sometimes at idle (major). Willl fix the first problem myself. Second one is beyond my ability and so it will go to the shop.

As far as the knocking noise is comcerned: when you open up the throttle make sure your a/c is off. We get a rateling noise when the a/c is on, but we turn it off and its gone. Try that.

I love my '05 GT!

That being said, I have had mine for 16 months and have noticed only the following:

CD player will skip now and then - This was only on the early '05s, I think and Ford will replace

The front end has a noticable "click" while turning into or out of a drive way, you know, going over the gutter - Ford knows about this and is fixing them. I am sure it is not a problem in the '06.

Dash rattle - Seems like it is coming from the air duct on the far passenger side.

Outside door handle will not normally return to flush

This is the most fun car I have ever had!

I've only had the slow fuel fill problem once,it was raining of course, and that time it only read 3/4 tank on the guage, said something like 190 miles to empty and then after I got where I was going, shut the car off and when I started it again it went to full and hasn't been a problem since. Other than that it's been very trouble free and a blast to own and drive.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived