TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Plastic Cap on shift lever came off...

stpracer43

The polished silver plastic cap on the shift lever came off in my hand while driving today... Anyone else have this problem?

The cap was held in place by a small circular piece of soft adhesive which seems to have lost it's sticky qualities...

Suppose I could just superglue it back in place, since I don't want it coming off again. Or take it to the dealer and let them handle it.

Keith

I would do both. Take it to the local dealer for a look and let them order you a new handle and then glue it on. I don't think superglue will hold for long in that application due to the shock loads and vibration but might get you by until the new part comes in. Very doubtful any dealer will have this just sitting around....

The polished silver plastic cap on the shift lever came off in my hand while driving today... Anyone else have this problem?

The cap was held in place by a small circular piece of soft adhesive which seems to have lost it's sticky qualities...

Suppose I could just superglue it back in place, since I don't want it coming off again. Or take it to the dealer and let them handle it.

Keith

Just glue it back with rubber cement, that way if you ever need to take it off you can.

I think taking it to the dealership is a waste of time, as this is such a relatively minor and insignificant issue.

Now if the snakes fall off the sides of the car when you accelerate, you may have a bigger problem.

-DC

Keith

dbl post

Keith

You should immediately call Ford Roadside Assist and have them take your car to the nearest SVT certified dealer. Make absolutely certain that you are on a flatbed and under NO circumstances should you allow them to lift the front end of the car. The built in gyro will sense this and really screw things up.

Once it's at the dealer, it is your responsibility to call the HAZ-MAT team and notify them. It's unlikely that the dealer will do this and if they don't you'll be left holding the bag for the cleanup and fines associated with this disaster.

I wish you well. And, for God's sake, DO NOT push down on the innocent looking circular piece of adhesive. I've seen what can happen and it's not pretty.

bj

I would do both. Take it to the local dealer for a look and let them order you a new handle and then glue it on. I don't think superglue will hold for long in that application due to the shock loads and vibration but might get you by until the new part comes in. Very doubtful any dealer will have this just sitting around....

The Superglue won't hold?! You mean to tell me that the guy in a hard hat hanging from a steel girder all those years was nothing more than a cheap advertising ploy??

bj

You should immediately call Ford Roadside Assist and have them take your car to the nearest SVT certified dealer. Make absolutely certain that you are on a flatbed and under NO circumstances should you allow them to lift the front end of the car. The built in gyro will sense this and really screw things up.

Once it's at the dealer, it is your responsibility to call the HAZ-MAT team and notify them. It's unlikely that the dealer will do this and if they don't you'll be left holding the bag for the cleanup and fines associated with this disaster.

I wish you well. And, for God's sake, DO NOT push down on the innocent looking circular piece of adhesive. I've seen what can happen and it's not pretty.

bj

Part out the car on Ebay imo - it's not safe anymore.

The Superglue won't hold?! You mean to tell me that the guy in a hard hat hanging from a steel girder all those years was nothing more than a cheap advertising ploy??

bj

Part out the car on Ebay imo - it's not safe anymore.

You two are bad, BAD, BAD!!

Keith

Mine came off also a while back. After cleaning ,I used a light coating of 3M trim adhesive on both surfaces, haven't had any problem since.

Mike

Archived