TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Fuel Rail Install Help

Guest MTYQIN

Guest MTYQIN

Hey Guys,

At the last SPP sale I picked up some Shelby billet fuel rails to install in my 2012 GT500. Got the connectors and hose from Lethal Performance (Division X). My problem is I'm getting my butt kicked by the darned fuel line quick disconnect fitting. I started with a set of the plastic, split sleeve tools, but no joy. I pulled the fuel pump fuse, ran the car to stall, and pulled associated intake lines before getting to the quick disconnect, but I have been unsuccessful in getting that sucker to release. I opened the tab on the outer plastic, and tried to insert the tool, but nothing "popped" open to let me release the fitting.

If anyone out there has some insight into the correct tool (split sleeve or the "scissors") and what motion to make with the female end (where the fitting is) to get the line to release, I would very much appreciate the help.

Thanks in advance to anyone who might be able to take a moment to get me back on track here.

Ed

Guest MTYQIN

Guys,

I swallowed my pride and just went to my dealer and asked one of the techs who services my vehicle what the procedure was. Turns out Ford did it right; the quick disconnect releases without any tool intervention. After releasing the catch on the bottom, squeeze both sides together and the green plastic inner cap moves up. With the inner piece up, twist slightly, very slightly, and the fuel line releases. Putting the new fuel rail adaptor in was just a matter of insert fitting, pop the green cliip down and hear it latch. Close the clatch, and get on to another part of the job. So now, it's on to a pressure check on the various fittings. When that looks tight and dry, the next stop is light the engine off, road test, re-check.

Shelby fuel rails (Metco) look great, and were themselves a straightforward install.

Take it easy,

Ed

Turns out Ford did it right; the quick disconnect releases without any tool intervention.

Yeah, I was gonna say....TOOL???

Mine popped right off after I pulled the locking piece.

Phill

Archived