TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Clutch drag TSB 4th revision - $1,438.18 if you have to pay for it

Grabber

....on the royal Purple, I had it pumped into my wifes transmission yesterday when she was getting her free oil change at my dealership from my Tech. ( I won 5 free FORD oil changes at a car show). When Tana got in her car to drive it home I was in the passenger seat. She told me that the car shifted smoother and that she could feel the difference. She has the 2010 clutch too. 3.65 QTs is basically fill to spill on the fill bolt.

Rob - Did they do the PCM programming on your or Tana's GT500 after the clutch assembly replacement or is it only required if the tranny work is done as well? If I understand correctly it's only if tranny work is performed.

Thanks for all the information & keep it coming!

Regards,

Ray

Edited by Moncho

Ordered all my parts from TASCA for the complete clutch change out. All the goodies are on the truck somewhere. Now I have to find someone I am comfortable with to do the job. When I talked with my local Ford adviser and his recommended tech I was really disappointed with their knowledge or experience with the GT500.

Rob - Did they do the PCM programming on your or Tana's GT500 after the clutch assembly replacement or is it only required if the tranny work is done as well? If I understand correctly it's only if tranny work is performed.

Thanks for all the information & keep it coming!

Regards,

Ray

The tranny work has nothing to do with the re-programming. No they did not reprogram our cars. I made sure of it. I did not want our tunes wiped out.

The tranny work has nothing to do with the re-programming. No they did not reprogram our cars. I made sure of it. I did not want our tunes wiped out.

That's interesting as the PCM programming is a bullet point under the "Transmission Repair" in the TSB. Anyway if I go this route it would only be the clutch assembly and not any tranny work.

Edited by Moncho

Ordered all my parts from TASCA for the complete clutch change out. All the goodies are on the truck somewhere. Now I have to find someone I am comfortable with to do the job. When I talked with my local Ford adviser and his recommended tech I was really disappointed with their knowledge or experience with the GT500.

I've been disappointed with the responses from several FORD dealerships as well. However, there are several locally owned shops that work on our cars so that will be more than likely the way I go. Besides the FORD hourly rates are way up there.

Cheers,

Ray

That's interesting as the PCM programming is a bullet point under the "Transmission Repair" in the TSB. Anyway if I go this route it would only be the clutch assembly and not any tranny work.

They will re program you car when they do the clutch work and wipe out your tune....unless you talk to them and tape a sign / cover over your PCM plug in port saying "don't touch my tune !!!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Grabber,

I used the 2010 clutch set up that you mentioned here in your post and it is beautiful, so much smoother!!!

I did notice that it is still a little hard to get it into 1st gear and reverse, I just got the car back today though. Do I have to give the car a little time for this new clutch to settle? Were your gears kind of hard to go into at first as well? My mechanic is really good, he said if it continues to feel this way after a week to bring it back and we will figure out what is wrong.

Grabber,

I used the 2010 clutch set up that you mentioned here in your post and it is beautiful, so much smoother!!!

I did notice that it is still a little hard to get it into 1st gear and reverse, I just got the car back today though. Do I have to give the car a little time for this new clutch to settle? Were your gears kind of hard to go into at first as well? My mechanic is really good, he said if it continues to feel this way after a week to bring it back and we will figure out what is wrong.

It should not be doing that. Maybe he did not bleed the clutch completely. Did he hook it up to a vaccume pump and pump the pedal and at the same time open the vaccume pump bleed valve to get all the air out of the hydronic lines ? Did he replace the hydrolic line per the part number in my parts list ? The next several times you use the car, before you start it up pump the clutch pedal 10 times and the brake pedal 4-5 times until you feel it get hard. Drive the car, then do that again. This will possibly help get some air out of the hydrolic lines....if there is some in there. We're your syncros ok ?

Grabber,

I will rely all that you told me here to my mechanic, I left the car with him since I didnt want to drive it like that. He did replace the hydrolic line because I took all the parts to him according to the list you had provided. Although I am not 100% sure if he took all the air out of the line correctly, would that cause the problem that I am having? The clutch was extremely soft though! Either way I will pass on this info to him.

Thank you for your time and knowledge!!!

Air in the line could be a problem. It takes two people to bleed the clutch properly. It takes about 15 to 20 minutes to bleed the clutch. I know this because I helped the Ford mechanic do it three times on three different cars.

I asked him, he said he bleeded it like 3 times already. He said he is going to take everything apart all over because he thinks is the clutch slave. I took him all the parts that I had recieved from Tasca Ford and I ordered the parts just like you had them posted. My mechanic thinks that Tasca might have send me the ('08) wrong slave and not the 2010 like I ordered but he wont kno until he takes it apart again.

I will keep you posted!!

All the part numbers are on the parts with numbers. Sounds like perhaps no one checked the part numbers prior to installing the parts. If this is indeed true, it will be a real learning lesson for all parties. Sorry your having so much trouble.

Grabber,

My mechanic has dismounted the whole thing again and all the parts are the right ones as he checked them with a Ford dealership. He ended up ordering a clutch master cylinder because this was the only part we had not replaced. He put everything back together again and the car was still having the same problem (hard to get into 1st and reverse, only posible with excesive force). We cant figure out what is causing the problem and my mechanic has been very helpful in trying to figure out what is the issue.

He thinks it might be one last thing that he thought of, he said when he took the car apart the first time he noticed that it was missing a Shim spacer that goes between the flywheel and the crankshaft (he has seen this in other mustangs he has worked on)...do you recall or can you ask your mechanic if your car had this shim/spacer in your car???

Unfortunately this car had an aftermarket clutch set up from the previous owner and was a single disk, it was toasted! And all the parts that we took off it were completely different from the stock 2008 clutch setup, so we think they might have taken out that shim/spacer that goes between the flywheel and the crankshaft.

Sorry to keep bothering my friend I just want to get this car right and be able to enjoy it!

Thank you!

You need to take a look at my thread about the 2nd generation flywheel and nickel hub clutch. I just bumped the thread for you. I am on a mobile device right now and can not attach it for you. The thread shows good photos of the flywheel removed from the crankshaft. I do not see a shim. And I watched the installation myself and the mechanic did not mess with any shims.

Edited by Grabber

Is there any way you can provide the # and the name to your mechanic so that I can pass that to my mechanic? Maybe talking to your mechanic, since he has dealt with these cars before, they can figure this out. He still has my car and is trying to figure this out because he wants the job done right as well.

I will take a look at the thread you are talking about...Thank you for all the help Grabber, at least we have people like you out here that are willing to help out!

Since he is not a Ford mechanic, the Ford SVT hotline will not help him. He does not have access to all the Ford information. Ford has complete instruction manuals online Through the oasis system that is only available to the ford technicians.

Did you look at my pictures and that other thread? There are no shims. It sounds like you may have a transmission problem. Since you are the second owner and the aftermarket clutch went out , who knows what kind of shape the syncros are in. Sorry you are having these problems.

He is not a Ford mechanic, he works on everything. I'll let him kno about the SVT hotline!

one other thing. The sequence of tightening the bolts and the torque spec is very critical. Fords site that is available to the for mechanics has the most current procedures. Not all mechanics can work on these transmissions and clutches and flywheels. I look at it like a medical operation. I will not let just any good doctor work on me.

I hear you, the old clucth set up might have damaged something in the transmission or even the syncros, that would definitely suck! I will tell him about the flywheel torque and the specs on it and see if that does anything. I will definitely let you know what the outcome is!

Thanks again for all the good info as always!!

We finally found what the problem was!!!!

Tasca Ford send me the wrong flywheel part!!

Instead of sending me AR3Z-6375-A which was what i ordered, they send me

an AR3V-6375-AA. I have to get with Tasca Ford tomorrow and talk about this!

We finally found what the problem was!!!!

Tasca Ford send me the wrong flywheel part!!

Instead of sending me AR3Z-6375-A which was what i ordered, they send me

an AR3V-6375-AA. I have to get with Tasca Ford tomorrow and talk about this!

ok, now we are getting somewhere. You still need to ask your non Ford Mechanic what installation instructions he is following. He needs to be following the 2010 Ford WSM instructions when he performs the re installation.

I'll tell him about the 2010 Ford WSM, which I believe he did follow, but He had already called the locsl Ford dealer to get the part number for the 2010 shelby flywheel, that is how we found out we had the wrong one. On my order there was also the right part number is just the flywheel that they sent was the wrong one. Funny how one letter on one part can throw everything off!!