TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Clutch drag TSB 4th revision - $1,438.18 if you have to pay for it

Grabber

Few minutes ago I have bought the new (second) Clutch Set for my Snake, now from TASCA PARTS - I´m waiting now for arrival to AUSTRIA, hope I get it soon...

This is the bent spring from the pressure plate...so it doesn´t declutch enough, because pressure plat doesn´t rest flat!!

post-41841-0-17531600-1379231498_thumb.jpg

post-41841-0-17531600-1379231498_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Unbelievable !!! - We installed the new Clutch set (pressure plate + discs) today but it´s the same problem again - I can´t shift into the 1. gear and reverse gear when engine is running!!

Flywheel - Pressure plate - Discs - Slave - Tube Line / everything is new and changed - it doesn´t work!!

The Slave cylinder press only 1 cm into the pressure plate - is this enought, or is this the problem? But why? Is there air in the system...? Anybody an idea, please help....

• 2 weeks later...

Make sure you bleed the slave cylinder. There are instructions posted here somewhere. As I recall, you essentially grab the clutch pedal and pull it back towards the seat several times, then fully depress the pedal, repeat as necessary to pull all air out of the system.

Hello on everybody!

The problems are solved! Unbelievable what happened - this is a long story, but let me tell you:

After removing the gearbox for the third time we also removed the flywheel. Then we bolt the pressure plate on the flywheel and simulate the lift from the slave cylinder - we saw now that the first disc in the pressure plate goes free (declutch) but the second one on flywheel side not!! But why? We don´t know - there are 6 springs outside the pressure plate - three on the top and three on the bottom - this springs connect the two parts from the pressure plate (between them there is one disc) If this items work correct both discs are "free" during declutch...

So we bent (!!!!) this three springs on the bottom with a tire lever (!!!) till such time we think it works...after this we installed all the parts again and unbelievable - it wooooooooooooooooooooooorks!!!

I have bought 2 brand new clutch kits and both are damaged?? Unbelievable - I am really amazed about the quality of the parts I have ordered from US. Two pressure plates and both doesn´t work - Certainly we have also adjusted the second pressure plate - so I have a second one in stock!

Thanks for all your help and tips - but the fault was only the quality from the (US) parts....unbelievable!!!

Best regards from AUSTRIA

Hannes

Hannes,

I have been monitoring the clutch problems since 2007. I am on this site everyday for the last 6 years. I have never seen anyone have this problem. You are a very special instance and I do not believe you can judge USA parts from this one of a kind issue. If this was something that happened often....then you have every right to slam our USA parts.

My 2 cents.

I also have this thread tagged and read every post. I too have the 07 and have had an 08 clutch installed at eleven thousand miles along with transmission, now have 38,000 still no issues but very heavy clutch pedal as it was when new . I'll go with a after market parts when I need to have a new clutch. nothing worst than to be in a different country and have to order parts over seas and wait, only to find them to be defective. First time I have read about the Ford clutch being new in box defective :headscratch:

Glad it all good :kookie:

I had my clutch upgraded to the 2010 system. My 2008 has 14,000 miles(22900 Kms). I am happy with the results, here's what I have noticed so far:

- Softer peddle as everyone has indicated

- Easier starting, less drag

- Shifter is smoother

- Engine speed between shifts is lower, part of re-tune in TSB

- Smoother engage from take off

- No hiss from under car

All together I am pleased.

Hello on everybody!

Please don´t misunderstand me - this is no attack to somebody, but I have wasted a lot money about this stupid fault! I have bought 2 clutch kits and both doesn´t work? So what would you say if this happens to you? We tried a lot of things (new hydraulic tube line, bleed for hours,....) but nothing helps!!

And after asking TASCA PARTS the only answer was that we have made a mistake during installation!! This isn´t a prudent answer - it makes me angry, because if you know how the parts are build then you also know that it isn´t possible to install them wrong!

But now it works and I´m happy - but afterwards again - I don´t understand why this happens....

Best regards from AUSTRIA!

Hannes

Thanks all again for help!!

@grabber: it is not really necessary to change the tube line, believe me - now I have a lot of experience .... ;)

I´m happy that my snake bites again.....

Edited by rosso400

• 5 months later...

Just wanted to let everyone know if you still need to do this upgrade. I just ordered my parts today through Tasca, (BTW thanks for this info!), my price shipped came out to $984.82. My local shop price would have been $1360.51 PLUS another $115 for taxes. Needless to say this is a HUGE savings! Plus the guy at Tasco already had the parts list in front of him because they get so many orders and knew what he was talking about. Also as a plus in case your interested, they take payments through Paypal which allows you to take advantage of 6 months no payments/no interest which gives you time to pay on it if you need to.

My 09 had a clutch upgrade done in May of 2011 by the previous owner but at that time the dealer was working off an older tech bulletin and used the original parts for the car and not the 2010 upgraded parts. The factory clutch went out at 20k miles and now this one that was installed back then is slipping out at 36k miles. Hopefully this one, now that it's the correct upgrade, will be much better!

• 4 weeks later...

I am assuming this is still the current fix ..*Clutch Drag TSB 10-3-8 (4th revision 2010 clutch set up)* -

Just took my '07 GT500 into shop 5/5/14 and told them to check for the TBS on the clutch. Told them I was experiencing clutch chatter when warm. Having to feather it with rpm's ...especially bad when pulling into driveway. Showed dealer my extended warranty. ..still in force till 6/14. I think they are going to replace under warranty. Fingers crossed!

I am assuming this is still the current fix ..*Clutch Drag TSB 10-3-8 (4th revision 2010 clutch set up)* -

Just took my '07 GT500 into shop 5/5/14 and told them to check for the TBS on the clutch. Told them I was experiencing clutch chatter when warm. Having to feather it with rpm's ...especially bad when pulling into driveway. Showed dealer my extended warranty. ..still in force till 6/14. I think they are going to replace under warranty. Fingers crossed!

yes this is still the current fix and parts list.

I just had this done to my car at our local Ford dealer in CT (Recently bought out by TASCA Ford!). The car feels more nimble and pleasant to drive. Much easier than before. Pedal effort is greatly reduced and there is no chatter. The clutch starts to grab lifting the pedal about 1/3 from the floor and engages very smoothly- and before you know it, the transmission is completely engaged to the engine without issue. My original clutch (build date 12/06) lasted 35K miles before it started slipping. Grabber, thank you for your research and posting the info and pics/videos, and thank you all for your contributions here. :yahoo:

Grabber, thanks for all the information you have provided over the past few years on this subject. I have read many of the posts related to this TSB.. I own a 08 KR with only 800 miles. I don't have the clutch issues some of the other owners have. For now, I think I am OK, however, I probably will down the road. Based on your experience, should I pursue this before it is too late? If so, what approach would you recommend I take with my dealer? Thanks again.

Grabber, thanks for all the information you have provided over the past few years on this subject. I have read many of the posts related to this TSB.. I own a 08 KR with only 800 miles. I don't have the clutch issues some of the other owners have. For now, I think I am OK, however, I probably will down the road. Based on your experience, should I pursue this before it is too late? If so, what approach would you recommend I take with my dealer? Thanks again.

Bill,

I inquired about this for my '09 and they quickly pointed out that I'm past my 5 year warranty. I don't have the problem either, so I'm using the "If it ain't broke don't fix it" strategy. Jer just released Shelby's new clutch assembly anyway and when my clutch finally gives up the ghost... I know what I'm getting to replace it.

Your 5 year warranty is up and since your miles are so low I would just drive the car and enjoy it. Once you start to experience any transmission syncro issues then you should do the TSB before any damage is done. If you feel your transmission slightly bumping the syncros in between gears then you know you have a issue. Or if you feel your clutch slipping, you have a issue. Edited by Grabber

Your 5 year warranty is up and since your miles are so low I would just drive the car and enjoy it. Once you start to experience any transmission syncro issues then you should do the TSB before any damage is done. If you feel your transmission slightly bumping the syncros in between gears then you know you have a issue. Or if you feel your clutch slipping, you have a issue.

I will certainly enjoy driving it. I have several trips and shows planned this spring and summer. I also plan to put it on the track. I will certainly pay attention to the shifts and take your advice. Thanks

Update...to my clutch issue. Dealer called and says my clutch needs to be replaced. They said they need to pull the transmission etc... and have the insurance guy look to see if it's normal wear!!!???!!! The dealer has asked for $400 to do this work. If insurance covers clutch repair, I pay nothing but the deductible. I have about 15,000 miles on my 07 GT600. The dealers says clutchs only last about 20k miles on these cars??? Is that right?? So I find out next week who pays for this repair.

Update...to my clutch issue. Dealer called and says my clutch needs to be replaced. They said they need to pull the transmission etc... and have the insurance guy look to see if it's normal wear!!!???!!! The dealer has asked for $400 to do this work. If insurance covers clutch repair, I pay nothing but the deductible. I have about 15,000 miles on my 07 GT600. The dealers says clutchs only last about 20k miles on these cars??? Is that right?? So I find out next week who pays for this repair.

The tranny always has to be removed to get to the clutch. The flywheel has caused excessive heat due to the fact that it is made out of a material that does not dissipate the heat transfer well at all. It then heats up the clutch and toasts it prematurely. The new flywheel in the TSB is made out of a better material to transfer the heat and the clutch pads are now made out of organic material which is more forgiving and can take the heat better. Some of the stock clutches last 35k and some 2k. Just depends on the driver.

18K+ and counting... No issues. Although I guess you could liken this to a ticking time bomb. I'm waiting for the slip which is going to happen at some point.

I got a new clutch under warranty, with a new transmission (08) when my car had 11,000 miles. This has lasted me 8 years and twenty eight thousand miles with a dozen track days and some hard street driving. I'm going with the Mcleoyd RST street twin disk and all the other parts, lines and bearings. Going in the shop ASAP, AS the clutch is now slipping.

Not surprised. They hooked you in. $400 to take it apart and see if it was covered? Now they have your car disassembled knowing you will probably cave and pay them to do the work. Pisses me off every time I hear this BS. Never, ever will I purchase another new Ford. Never.

Chip

Edited by wingsnut

I posted back on April 7th that I ordered my parts from Tasca. Thought I would give an update. If any of you guys are out of warranty DON'T get hoodwinked into thinking you have to have this work done by a Ford dealer service department! IF they are honest they will charge you the 5.1 book hours at $99 an hour which is a little over $500 just for the install. I had contacted two different dealer service departments in my area. Got the run around from one who said they couldn't tell me exactly how long the work would take so I wouldn't know about the charges until AFTER the work was complete. I'm not stupid, not doing that. The second tried telling me it would take 12 HOURS AT $1,200 FOR THE WORK! When I told them the Ford book and the TSB calls for 5.1 hours he lied to me and gave me some crap that there is different repair times for warranty work vs. non warranty work. Total BS! So I just went down to a local shop where I know the mechanic very well who works on race cars and owns several hot rods and asked him to do the work. Brought him the parts from Tasca and the TSB info. He said no problem, his computer told him it was a 5.1 hour job, and since it wasn't a dealer rapeing you on labor charges I ended up paying him a whopping $330 total for the install! And it runs top notch. Just like everyone described, softer feel, smoother engage, feels much more solid with all the HP it's holding. So my total for the repair with parts and labor was $1314. Not complaining about that.

I posted back on April 7th that I ordered my parts from Tasca. Thought I would give an update. If any of you guys are out of warranty DON'T get hoodwinked into thinking you have to have this work done by a Ford dealer service department! IF they are honest they will charge you the 5.1 book hours at $99 an hour which is a little over $500 just for the install. I had contacted two different dealer service departments in my area. Got the run around from one who said they couldn't tell me exactly how long the work would take so I wouldn't know about the charges until AFTER the work was complete. I'm not stupid, not doing that. The second tried telling me it would take 12 HOURS AT $1,200 FOR THE WORK! When I told them the Ford book and the TSB calls for 5.1 hours he lied to me and gave me some crap that there is different repair times for warranty work vs. non warranty work. Total BS! So I just went down to a local shop where I know the mechanic very well who works on race cars and owns several hot rods and asked him to do the work. Brought him the parts from Tasca and the TSB info. He said no problem, his computer told him it was a 5.1 hour job, and since it wasn't a dealer rapeing you on labor charges I ended up paying him a whopping $330 total for the install! And it runs top notch. Just like everyone described, softer feel, smoother engage, feels much more solid with all the HP it's holding. So my total for the repair with parts and labor was $1314. Not complaining about that.

That is why I did this thread. To tell people what it should cost you. The TSB hours are only slightly different than the Ford book hours. Unfortunately the consumer needs to do his homework on this so they do not end up paying T & M (open checkbook).

That is why I did this thread. To tell people what it should cost you. The TSB hours are only slightly different than the Ford book hours. Unfortunately the consumer needs to do his homework on this so they do not end up paying T & M (open checkbook).

And I have to give you a big thanks for posting this info! If you hadn't taken the time to make everyone aware of this I wouldn't have known better, and would have gotten sucked into a repair that would have cost easily 2 or 2 1/2 times as much. From pointing us to Tasca for the parts savings to the info on the repair costs and time you came through for several of us on here big time! If I ever end up in your direction, or meet at a Shelby event, cold beers are on me....

• 1 month later...

The transmission and old parts came out pretty quickly013-1.jpg014-1.jpg015-1.jpg016-1.jpg017-1.jpg018-1.jpg019-1.jpg020-1.jpg021-2.jpg022-2.jpg

Grabber,

Sorry for asking the same question as on another post, but do you recall how many miles you had on this clutch. I can see one of the clutch discs through the inspection port on the bell housing and it looks as if it has about the same thickness of material left. I am estimating its a tad less than 2/16 of an inch.

Dan

Grabber,

Sorry for asking the same question as on another post, but do you recall how many miles you had on this clutch. I can see one of the clutch discs through the inspection port on the bell housing and it looks as if it has about the same thickness of material left. I am estimating its a tad less than 2/16 of an inch.

Dan

3 or 4K miles if I recall.