TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Trueforged or Polished Aluminum wheel owners in here

venom

I absolutely Love my Trueforged Speed 5s but absolutely hate to clean the car and the wheels. Car stays relatively clean so I have been using Poorboy's waterless wash (spray) with a mircrofiber towel manually clean the wheels. It's a tedious job! I use Adams polish when the rims start to lose their luster but again major pain in the arse!

I'm just wondering how often you clean your TF and what you use? I find that when I wash the car it's very hard to dry the wheels to avoid water spots since the water pools up in the voide between the hub and the lip!

You could buy a cheap hand truck, rent a water softener bottle and put together a portable soft water system just for washing your cars. No more water spots and 1 bottle should last a year or more.

There's still that biotch of problem of getting all the standing water out of the middle of the rim after washing. It's like all the water sits under the spokes in the middle of the wheel where the 2 -pieces meet. Major pain in the butt. I've taken several dry rags per wheel and I wedge them under the seam, 1 by 1 exchanging wet towels until all the water is gone. That's why I don't like to wash the car anymore!

Sounds intriguing, waiting for pictures and additional information. How thick is the coating and what temperatures are involved in the processing?

Pics in a day or so. The coating is thin at .25-.5 mils. Most of the ceramic coatings I do on exhaust components are a 500-700* cure for an hour in my oven. This particular clear ceramic coating is a air cure product. The part is able to be handled 24 hrs after application, and is fully cured in 6 days. Parts can be installed after the first 24hrs.

The gloss on this stuff is unreal. You don't have to worry about spraying the wrong wheel cleaner on your aluminum wheels and it turning them black anymore. Like I said, you'll never polish them again.

-Brian

Plus 2 on the leaf blower. In fact, I dry my entire car with mine to make sure I get all the water out of the hard to reach places and then come back with a soft towel. Same deal on the wheels. Polish them up and just use car wash soap to clean.

Plus 2 on the leaf blower. In fact, I dry my entire car with mine to make sure I get all the water out of the hard to reach places and then come back with a soft towel. Same deal on the wheels. Polish them up and just use car wash soap to clean.

Love your rims do you have a pic. With a good side view of your car?

I use a clean shop vac. Mine has an attachment that looks like a funnel that narrows down to about a 1 inch opening. Great for drying the car, wheels and especially motorcycles. Also works great for blowing off the driveway and patio after mowing. Cheaper than going out and buying a leaf blower!

• 4 weeks later...

Pics in a day or so. The coating is thin at .25-.5 mils. Most of the ceramic coatings I do on exhaust components are a 500-700* cure for an hour in my oven. This particular clear ceramic coating is a air cure product. The part is able to be handled 24 hrs after application, and is fully cured in 6 days. Parts can be installed after the first 24hrs.

The gloss on this stuff is unreal. You don't have to worry about spraying the wrong wheel cleaner on your aluminum wheels and it turning them black anymore. Like I said, you'll never polish them again.

-Brian

I might need this...can you provide me more details and a cost? I'll know more hopefully soon....

• 2 weeks later...

well I used the Leaf Blower and it worked pretty well. Problem is I had to polish the wheels up again using Adam's polish.

I had etched water stains on all 4 wheels. I remember driving one night and the road was still a little damp from the an earlier rain. That was enough to leave brown water spots all over the wheels! What a PITA to get them off. Most of it is gone but my fingers are sore from polishing!

Anyone else have the same problem driving their polished rims through rain? Glad that my ride is mostly a weekend warrior and almost never sees rain or road grime..

Those wheels look ABSOLUTELY great!

Yes, show us more pictures of your beautiful car!

BTW: See why Durabright is so much of a wanted feature in the Alcoa thread?...

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the compliments. This is my interpretation of how the car should have come from the factory. More pictures:

2012_06_16_8500.jpg

2012_06_16_8503.jpg

2012_06_16_8498.jpg

Archived