TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Octane Boosters? Yay or Nay? Which brands?

My 2011 Snake is heavily modified. I'm not even certain of half of the modifications that were done but it has 796 rwhp from the dyno. I feel a bit silly just rolling up to a shell and putting 91 octane in. That's the highest that's offered around these parts.

Should I stock up and keep octane boosters in the trunk. Are they just a gimmick?

If they are any good, are there any preferable brands I should look for?

Josh

depends on what tune you have. If the timing is advanced for race fuel- then yes you need higher octane. if it was designed for pump gas then no. who is the tuner?

I have an 800HP tune (Jon Lund) that requires race gas- so i just make sure I fill with race gas when I use that tune. Fortunately race fuel is available at the race tracks I use. Otherwise I have a 750 (or so) HP tune that is pump gas tune.

Torco is a popular octane booster additive but you better ask someone else- i never use any octane booster.

Ron

I have used the Torco additive in my snake with the 93 octane tune that I have. It works great and no pinging with that in the tank. I order a case from them online and put one bottle in per tank. We only have 91 octane gas where I live. Try it you will like it!

• 1 month later...

I have read reports that boosters found at the local parts stores can coat the 02 sensors giving false readings. Many of the heavily modified Terminator folks buy Torco in 55 gallon drums so it must be a better product than typical octane boosters.

Archived