TEAM SHELBY FORUM

clutch mod

ford replaced my clutch on 08kr under tsb. WOW! what a difference. almost put my foot thru the floor the first time i depressed the clutch pedal. chatter is gone. it is so smooth now on launch that it's like i've been to a driving school. made me a much better driver. even shifts smoother. never realised how much i hated that dual disk ceramic clutch. i highly recommend it to all.

i think clutches are only good for 1yr/12000 miles but because there is a tsb, a cooperative ford dealer can get it covered under warranty. i think it's a $2300 fix. they replaced the flywheel, clutch assembly and a new hydtraulic cylinder, thus the ease of depressing the clutch now.

It's 4.2 hours labor. Make sure they don't touch your tune. Tell them and tape up your PCM port and put a note on it or you will loose your KR tune.

The parts are as follows:

Item Description

Fulfillment

Price Per Item

Quantity

Subtotal

SLEEVE

Part #: F6ZZ7600A

Pack Qty: 1

Shippable

$13.20

Update

Remove

$13.20

CYLINDER ASY - CLUTCH SLAVE

Part #: AR3Z7A508A

Shippable

$221.81

Update

Remove

$221.81

BOLT

Part #: N808969S100

Pack Qty: 6

Shippable

$22.00

Update

Remove

$22.00

FLYWHEEL ASY

Part #: AR3Z6375A

Shippable

$253.60

Update

Remove

$253.60

CLUTCH ASY

Part #: CR3Z7B546A

Shippable

$601.20

Update

Remove

$601.20

LUBRICANT - TEFLON

Part #: XG8

Shippable

$7.92

Update

Remove

$7.92

TUBE

Part #: AR3Z7A512A

Shippable

$76.81

Update

Remove

$76.81

FLUID - BRAKE

Part #: PM1C

Shippable

$4.78

Update

Remove

$4.78

BOLT - HEX.HEAD

Part #: F6ZZ6379AA

Pack Qty: 3

Shippable

$11.17

Update

Remove

$33.51

Apply

Parts Subtotal:

$1,234.83

Total:

$1,234.83

Had mine done also under TSB prior to the 3 year warranty expiring... The dealership and my advisor was very helpful and understood the clutch problems and honored the TSB with no questions. Glad I was in contact with Grabber about the Tune and not to touch it otherwise I'm sure the tech would have reflashed the tune with a GT500 tune instead of the KR tune. The clutch is awesome and so smooth. Still breaking it in slowly but no problems at all....

Mac

Had mine done also under TSB prior to the 3 year warranty expiring... The dealership and my advisor was very helpful and understood the clutch problems and honored the TSB with no questions. Glad I was in contact with Grabber about the Tune and not to touch it otherwise I'm sure the tech would have reflashed the tune with a GT500 tune instead of the KR tune. The clutch is awesome and so smooth. Still breaking it in slowly but no problems at all....

Mac

I am having my dealer install this same 2010 clutch set up in my 2007 GT500 this Thursday. My wife has the same set up that was just put into her 2009 GT500 under the TSB and I drove it and love the feel of it. Every clutch release is perfect. There is no trying. Every release is spot on.

By the way...the ford book time is 5.1 hours for this job. The TSB hours are 4.2.

My labor cost will be $500 bucks. My 5 year warranty is gone.

Are 2009's affected by this?

Any 2009 KR built prior to 8/19/08 has the old flywheel.

The ones built after that have a revised one that was again revised for the 2010 to go with the revised clutch.

why would they reflash the computer for a clutch mod? i didn't tell them not to and don't know if they did or not. how can you tell?

They reflash it because the Ford installation manual tells them to:

PCM Reprogramming

The PCM must be reprogrammed after the clutch is replaced. Reprogram the PCM to the latest calibration using IDS release 65.07 and higher. This new calibration is not included in the VCM 2010.1 DVD. Calibration files may also be obtained at www.motorcraft.com.

I would ask the tech if he did it. If he did it, you car will not preform as well because it will have the stock GT500 tune in it.

KR_Mac

What part of CA are you from. Possibly looking for a dealer (with experience) to do mine. What deler did you use

Thx

mrlane73

Northern Cali.... Capitol Ford in San Jose. There is quite a few dealerships around me but I found out this is one of the best IMO. The advisors and the tech said they have done many TSB's and is something they are familiar with.

Off the topic-They still have an 08 Silver/Blue KR sitting inside.

Mac

Any 2009 KR built prior to 8/19/08 has the old flywheel.

The ones built after that have a revised one that was again revised for the 2010 to go with the revised clutch.

That's what I thought Rob.

Thanks for the info

That's what I thought Rob.

Thanks for the info

I should look into having this done prior to warranty going out in October. Do you know who I should talk to at Sayville Ford?

talked to service about reflashing my PCM when the clutch was changed, and he said he only does this on GT500's since the KR prevents a reflash. he maintains that they cannot access the tune. so what happens if you have to change out the PCM or some other repair that does require a reflash? is the tune avail from shelby? wonder how one would get it. email? drive to vegas? do they sitll have it I wonder!! I understand that if the blower is changet out for a TVS that the KR tune would not need to be changed to handle the increased boost. is that right?

Archived