TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Just picked up a 2011 SS. What do I need? Tires?

Well, I thought that I would never have another Shelby but I just purchased my 4th. I've had a 08, 09, 10, and now a 2011 Super Snake. Found a great deal and couldn't pass it up. From what I understand, this is a lot different from my 3 previous GT500s. I will be receiving the car by the beginning of August but in the mean time, I wonder if I need to get some tires or anything else.

I've looked at the Michelin Pilot Cup tires. Those seem to be my best option for street legal grip. I spun the 08 Shelby off the road and wrecked it and that was much less power. I Don't want to do that again. I'm not going to the track. I'm just going to hammer on it on Texas highways in the middle of no where. Occasionally I like to break the tires loose for more old fashion fun. Would that completely destroy a pair of Pilot Cups?

J

Shame. I never actually looked up sizes. I didn't know that they wouldn't fit.

Have you got the Alcoa wheels? Have you got any other recommendations of any other tire comparable to the Pilot Cups that will fit?

Shelby has been using P-zero's on their Super Snakes for ages. I started looking for tires for my 20" Alcoa SS wheels but can't remember most of what I found. Go to places like tire rack dot com, discount tire dot com, etc. and you can find quite a few.

I think BFG KDW's are a big favorite although not quite what I was looking for. I need tires with a (Y) rating (sustained 186+ mph) for running my car on the mile and the tires I was looking at were all BIG BUCKS.

Phill

Shame. I never actually looked up sizes. I didn't know that they wouldn't fit.

Have you got the Alcoa wheels? Have you got any other recommendations of any other tire comparable to the Pilot Cups that will fit?

Some of the guys (including myself) have moved the 10" Alcoas to the front to support a decent size tire for grip, 275/35 etc., and then moved the 9" fronts to the rears and widened them to support a tire that supports the bigger hp. 305 is about the widest you will get to fit the 10" Alcoa, and a 305 will not go far in traction.........

R

I purchased my set of Alcoas online last fall with tires already installed. Tires are Toyo Proxes4 255/35/20 Front, 295/30/20 Rear on standard size wheels. after roughly 2,500 miles on this setup, I have no complaint.

I purchased my set of Alcoas online last fall with tires already installed. Tires are Toyo Proxes4 255/35/20 Front, 295/30/20 Rear on standard size wheels. after roughly 2,500 miles on this setup, I have no complaint.

From Greg, at Cruzin Concepts (cruzinconcepts.com)?

Phill

From Greg, at Cruzin Concepts (cruzinconcepts.com)?

Phill

Exactly. I bought them last October, shortly after it was announced they were being discontinued. I had some issues with shipping (apparently, there is another city call "Quebeck" in Tennessee, which got them confused). Other than that, wheels and tires were in perfect shape, and also a great deal. I'm so glad I pulled the trigger back then.

I have Alcoas in stock sizes (not widened) 20x9 & 20x10

I strongly recommend Michelin Super Sport tires

255/35/20 & 275/35/20 / Tire Rack has them

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Super+Sport

I think this is what comes std. now on the SS

If Pilot Cup were available in those sizes, I would get them immediately but the Super Sports are already a VERY good choice.

An alternative is the "old" MICHELIN PS2 or the PIRELLI P ZERO, which is not bad at all.

Of course if your style is more "drag race" and not "road race"... I would go to other manufacturers!

<p>Thanks guys. Ended up with 305s in the back and 275s in the front. A ton of other modifications have been made as well. A couple of aesthetic modifications but mainly mechanical. I'm not very savvy with any of the components but I'm happy to hear that the guys were able to get 800 rwhp on a dyno. I was also told that If I had a 2013 Shelby, 900 rwhp would have been possible with this setup. At this point, I'm just looking at getting the larger rear brakes and a couple of other things to help keep me from killing myself.</p>

<div id="myEventWatcherDiv" style="display:none;"> </div>

I strongly recommend Michelin Super Sport tires

255/35/20 & 275/35/20

I think this is what comes std. now on the SS

Blackout's 2012 Super Snake just came with Pirelli P-zero's on it. And that wasn't that long ago.

I noticed the 2013 Boss 302 has them from the factory too, but in 19's.

Phill

Blackout's 2012 Super Snake just came with Pirelli P-zero's on it. And that wasn't that long ago.

I noticed the 2013 Boss 302 has them from the factory too, but in 19's.

Phill

OK, my wrong. :finger:

Saw pictures of new 12' SS's with Michelin tires, that's why I thought they switched lately...

But your words make sense since all Boss come with Pirelli's (P-Zero or Corsa) and Shelby always had Pirelli's on the SS.

Archived