TEAM SHELBY FORUM

My New Boss 302 Laguna Seca Has Arrived!!

vapor08GT500

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

LOL...Wow...I don't come on here for a month and many think I am abandoning you all...I was kidding, for those of you that don't know me well and didn't get my joke. Sorry if anyone was offended. I was offered a huge amount of money for my Boss (well before I even posted), but did not take it, and didn't even consider it!! I really don't care about money like I do house money. Guess it's separate in my mind? Houses have no attachment in my mind. He then offered $20K more and showed up at SEMA with cash. Seriously...If I was offered $200K for the car I would't take it...I love the car and don't have the time to get another and duplicate it!! Look at my 67 Shelby I have owned for 22 years and my 03 Cobra with 1600 miles I bought new....still have them...among many others in my collection. $$ don't always get them. I know for each, if I ever would sell, where they are going. My 3 Cobra R's was a deal I COULD NOT refuse before that is brought up. That was just ridiculous...

I got several calls from friends and suppliers thinking I was selling the car and getting out of Mustangs. Guess I shouldn't joke (but probably still will..hehe)...Even though Mustangs do irritate me often, I don't know if it is possible to ever get them out of my bloodstream....been infused in me since I was 5 years old...

Montana plates? That's where I live, part time...!!! Gorgeous scenery and clean air. LOL....

What have I been doing and where have I been? I have been to FL 2X, Terlingua, SEMA, and finishing up my Mach 1 ($23,700, so far not including my time, on top of the $18.500 I paid for it, but that is another evening) bought and sold 6 cars, and building a new shop/museum that I have been wanting to do for many years and finally approved by county. Thanksgiving was spent with my family and was a mess as most of (not all) of my family want's to divide holidays up between different groups which I want no part of. I am supposed to say who goes with who, which I will not do, all voted me to be the moderator... Day after, I took my nieces to Knotts Berry Farm to ride the roller coasters. Day after that, back to FL, 4 days later back to PS, Finished Mach 1, black paint work on a 40th and GT/CS, bought another car that day.

See...I came on TS before midnight, clearly knowing it would take at least 3-5 hours to get caught up with all I missed not being on this long....and as I expected, it did, but, I did go through all 28 pages of posts....I responded to the ones I wanted to, and now it is past 6 am.

Boss is fine too. Now has a Kenne Bell, and apart now for some hydrocarbon and Hushmat. No time for it honestly. Will hopefully get some time soon to put it back together...

Alex

Wow, make sure and try to start a topic and post some pics of the Mach when you can. Would like to see what you have done. Alex, with no more Mustangs.....yea, that cracked me up!!! I know you have many that will never go anywhere!

Montana plates? That's where I live, part time...!!! Gorgeous scenery and clean air. LOL....

I want to live there part time too !!!! :)

Glad to see you back on TS.

One of these days I have to get to PS to check out your collection.

How much were you offered for your cobra Rs that if someone offered you 200k for the boss you would not accept it?

20k over is ridiculous. Where the hell do you find these people or where do they find you??? No one offered me 20k over my 13 shelby. Most I got offered was 8k over.

Posted Mach on Ebay, Jeff...will start a post on it in a bit, but here's a link here too:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=251195511628&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT#ht_151655wt_1084

Been driving it the last few days, runs, drives and sounds great. Really fun car. Trying not to get to attached to it like many of my others that I won't let go of...LOL

jnf: Hehe...it is beautiful in Montana. Let me know when you want to come to PS as I am in and out of town alot. I'll be happy to show you my collection.

svt13: Some cars I'd rather have than the money...I have customers all around the world.

Grabber: I come on here when I get the time, just been really hectic lately. Hope all is well with you and the family...

Alex

Next time you are on Alex can you give a detailed post on how you get those 335s in the rear to fit? Exactly what modifications did you have to make. Also I was looking into sound deadening material as well and was thinking dynamat but I like this hush mat better. I wanted to do floors,trunk, and possibly doors. Are you using their light weight foam, the mat, or a combination of both??

Also for your rear sway bar how come you went with steeda's 25mm rear bar instead of their 31mm bar they have on their own boss LS?

thanks

• 1 month later...

svt13: I am not going to do another detailed post on putting 33530ZR20's on these cars as I have covered it several times before in my other posts. The Steeda sway bars are necessary and engineered by Steeda to work together to be perfectly balanced with their watts link. Car handles like it is on rails now.

I haven't updated this build thread in quite some time as I have been very busy with customer builds. Before SEMA we installed the Kenne Bell 2.8 LC....here's a few pictures of that from late October of the install:

10-25-12001.jpg

10-25-12002.jpg

10-25-12003.jpg

10-25-12008.jpg

10-25-12009.jpg

10-25-12010.jpg

10-25-12011.jpg

10-25-12012.jpg

10-25-12013.jpg

10-25-12014.jpg

Alex

More...new heat exchanger being installed. Whole install of complete kit took around 20 hours:

10-25-12020.jpg

10-25-12022.jpg

10-25-12032.jpg

10-25-12034.jpg

10-25-12037.jpg

10-25-12038.jpg

Iphone058.jpg

And a few pictures of my Boss at SEMA. Car was in the North Hall at the main enterance where everyone passes to get into SEMA.

Iphone074.jpg

Iphone066.jpg

Iphone065.jpg

Iphone064.jpg

Alex

After SEMA, the entire interior was removed. I sent many body and interior items out to be hydrocarboned, and while interior was out, we installed Hush Mat under carpets, under rear seat delete area, inside of quarter panels and doors, and entire trunk. Car is much more solid and quieter now. I prefer Hush Mat over Dynamat as it is easier to form, lighter, and does not cut your hands up!! I was so happy with the results, that I am now a dealer for them.

IMG_20130117_1001351.jpg

IMG_20130117_100201.jpg

IMG_20130117_100232.jpg

IMG_20130117_135426.jpg

IMG_20130117_135441.jpg

IMG_20130117_163451.jpg

And a few from last week all back together with some subtle hydrocarbon:

1-31-13039.jpg

1-31-13040.jpg

1-31-13041.jpg

1-31-13042.jpg

1-31-13043.jpg

1-31-13044.jpg

1-31-13045.jpg

1-31-13046.jpg

1-31-13050.jpg

Alex

And a few of the engine box and interior...

1-31-13061.jpg

1-31-13062.jpg

1-31-13063.jpg

1-31-13064.jpg

1-31-13065.jpg

1-31-13066.jpg

1-31-13067.jpg

1-31-13068.jpg

1-31-13070.jpg

1-31-13071.jpg

1-31-13072.jpg

1-31-13073.jpg

Next up Tremec Magnum XL 6 speed transmission (the Chinease made MT-82 in the GT and Boss is a JOKE), Wilwood front and rear brakes, Kicker sub and amp, Some lightweight 18" wheels and R1's for the track, and some more tuning. Then the car is done (well they are never really done, but done for now...LOL).

Still looking for a '13 GT500 under MSRP if anyone knows of any: Must be a coupe with SVT package and Track pack, Recaro's, and preferably electronics package (although in my 10 it was garbage, I liked a few features on it). Any colors considered except Ignot Silver or black, unless really cheap, as I will then paint it yellow!! Prefer black stripes. Glass roof and Shaker Pro doesn't matter either way. Used is fine too if the price is right.

Alex

Awesome build Alex looks sweet!

Have to ask though on the CF dipped pices what color was used as a base coat you know? My local guy told me if he does a black base then the carbon pattern on top you can barley see the design. He does not like to do anything really darker then a dark grey base coat. I had it done on my valve covers on my Raptor when I had it and liked to but if had some items done on the Shelby I would like them to look like yours.

jnf: Thank you!! Car has turned out so far exactly how I want it...just a few things as described above left to do....Are you coming to the BASH? Love your new 13 by the way...what are your plans for it?

MJN: I appreciate your comments too, thanks!! My hydrocarboner used a Sterling Grey base (like the stripes and other misc trim pieces on the Laguna Seca) where the weave would show still, but in a subtle way. I have used a few great hydrocarboners and a few not so good. This new shop is local to me and saves me quite a bit of shipping costs and does a very nice job. It is an art you just can't trust anyone to do. Using top quality materials is a MUST. I think the Sterling Grey base would look fantastic on your black 12. I will get some better pictures in the light of my hydrocarbon next time I have the car out in the sun and post here, so stay tuned...

Grabber: Yes, a good bit of cash, Rob, but all well worth it. For my own cars, many of my suppliers do give me larger breaks on prices. The car is now the perfect balance of power, handling, and looks. I love the Boss platform as far as light weight and high revving. Even stock (for 300 miles), I was really impressed. Every GT500 I owned, I was rather disappointed in, honestly, when stock). The Boss is a blast to drive, but I still am looking for a 13 GT500 too if I find the right car, for the right price to add to the stable (then build up, of course). Not selling the Boss though...

B Shelby: Thanks Robert!!! I hope to see you and your beautiful Super Snake again this year in Dearborn. It is on my "Must do's" for 2013..

HiPerGT500: Thanks Tim!! Sorry I haven't updated my posts on this car and others for you all to get your "fix" lately, I have just been really busy!! LOL. Unless someone requests for me to do a build thread on their car when I have it at my shop, I just email them pictures due to limited time. Every car whether I post it or not gets the same attention to detail before it leaves. Hope you have been well and let me know when you need that 1 piece drive shaft or any more "winter" goodies. I'm glad your suspension is all done now, although I am sure with the weather you have been having lately isn't favorable for driving your Shelby!!

H0050; Thanks Harald!! The Boss is quite a bit different than when I saw you and Glenda up in Monterey!! I love how your Hertz turned out....WOW...hope to see it at the BASH...Say Hi to Glenda for me...

Blown Away: Haha Dan. thanks...you and Laura get the inside scoop and get to see many of the cars as you live so close, so not much is a surprise..LOL...Can't wait to see you both and others on the 23rd. Got the Blue Beauty back from clear bra today...they did an amazing job. Never seen such an amazing job, honestly. You can't even see it and no orange peel. I think I should hook you up with the owner for your car. I am going to have them redo the Boss. Glen and Lisa say Hi as they are here from Canada for 7 days. Jim and his wife are coming up for dinner tomorrow too..

And the Blue Beauty....I can't get 3K miles on it fast enough so I can do "my thing" to it. 860 miles as of tonight, so I am not even out of "break in, limp mode" I'm almost afraid to see what it will do when it is capable of its full potential....LOL

Alex

• 2 weeks later...

MJN: Thank you!! More pics to come soon. Did the billet engine caps and other engine box bling this week. In the next 2 weeks, I will install the new Tremec Magnum XL trans with 2.66 first gear, new clutch and flywheel, steel scatter shield, new aluminum driveshaft and yoke, the Kicker sub and amp, Kenne Bell throttle body and Boost a Pump, 12lb pulley, Dynatech longtubes, and a new Jon Lund tune. Hopefully this will all be done for the BASH. Have all the parts, just too many projects on other people''s cars to do, so my own stuff always gets "bumped" LOL. Maybe Wilwood front and rear brakes too if time allows, haven't ordered them yet...

Cali_KR: Thanks Tom!! Can't wait to see you at the BASH. The Blue Beauty just turned 1200 miles today. Can't seem to get enough seat time in it to drive it more. At 1003 miles a message came up on the cluster:" Break in complete, please refer to owner's manual for operating precautions and obey all traffic laws!!" Car is much quicker now. 0-60 in 3.8 seconds. With the new turbo downpipes, exhaust, and tuning, it is claimed to be 0-60 in 2.4 seconds. Not bad for a 4 door "family" car!! LOL...some pics below...car was well worth the 11 month wait, carbon fiber package and special order color is what made it take so long!!!!

IASHELBY GT and Denstang65: Thank you both!!! As I said, stay tuned, last round of mods to be completed soon.

Here are some pics, Tom, since the pictures were taken I have changed out the orange side markers for smoked ones...here comes the hate mail....LOL

1-31-13024.jpg

1-31-13025.jpg

1-31-13026.jpg

1-31-13027.jpg

1-31-13028.jpg

1-31-13029.jpg

1-31-13030.jpg

1-31-13031.jpg

1-31-13032.jpg

1-31-13033.jpg

1-31-13034.jpg

1-31-13035.jpg