TEAM SHELBY FORUM

My New Boss 302 Laguna Seca Has Arrived!!

vapor08GT500

Hello Alex, remember me 2007 Shelby GT white silver stripes that stopped by your shop in June with 2 gals on our way to Calif? You showed me some great cars that were in the shop. Just so happens I was getting an itch to get something else, and I did this weekend. It just turned out to be the same that you added to your stall.

2013 Boss LS school bus yellow, #213

I hope 13 is a lucky number. only 40 away from you. I will be watching your build.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alex when you check this thread again can you elaborate on how you got 335s to fit with the boss? What modifcations were needed to make it work? Same question for the larger front tires as well. Also how was the gas milage effected?

This is what he told me in another post on this thread.

Afdharley: I had to trim the bump stop bracket, trim the well liner, grind some seam sealer, repaint to look factory, and remove the shock boot. Worth the effort, car hooks up and handles amazing now.

This is what he told me in another post on this thread.

Afdharley: I had to trim the bump stop bracket, trim the well liner, grind some seam sealer, repaint to look factory, and remove the shock boot. Worth the effort, car hooks up and handles amazing now.

Are there any negatives to doing any of that stuff to the car?

I drove Alex's car on a segment back from Terlingua, probably 150 miles or so, and all I can I say is I love it. It was mostly all highway but there were some significant bumps and I don't think I heard the tires rub once. Getting on and off the highway was smooth too. After one rest stop Alex said to "see how it performs", So my wife drove our SGT and Rick Saute in his Super Snake went on ahead and Alex and I eventually caught up. :peelout:

The car wants to pull forever it seems like with the 7500 rpm redline. I think I shifted most times around 6k and it still had more to give. We eventually caught up and because Laura's back was killing her, we all switched cars again. Rick drove our auto SGT and I got to drive his SS convertible!!! :happy feet:

The only complaint about the Boss was the noise coming from the rear through the cabin as the LS has no back seat. Alex has plans to eliminate that too.

All in all I give the car a 9, as there's always room for improvement...lol

Dan

Alex im heading down to PS for some training sometime after we get moved into the new house get the second garage started . were moving back to orange county

probly be in a few months maybe we can get together for dinner?

great build on the LS love it

JIM

I drove Alex's car on a segment back from Terlingua, probably 150 miles or so, and all I can I say is I love it. It was mostly all highway but there were some significant bumps and I don't think I heard the tires rub once. Getting on and off the highway was smooth too. After one rest stop Alex said to "see how it performs", So my wife drove our SGT and Rick Saute in his Super Snake went on ahead and Alex and I eventually caught up. :peelout:

The car wants to pull forever it seems like with the 7500 rpm redline. I think I shifted most times around 6k and it still had more to give. We eventually caught up and because Laura's back was killing her, we all switched cars again. Rick drove our auto SGT and I got to drive his SS convertible!!! :happy feet:

The only complaint about the Boss was the noise coming from the rear through the cabin as the LS has no back seat. Alex has plans to eliminate that too.

All in all I give the car a 9, as there's always room for improvement...lol

Dan

What you say here is interesting because I finally got to drive in a bossLS my dealer had and the noise level from the rear at least was the exact same pretty much as my car. With a little bit of dynamat it would be the same if not better due to how dynamat is. Alex told me what makes noise in his car is the watts link and that it clunks a lot. Plus what I noticed is the boss is just louder because you basically have an exhaust pipe under your ear since its coming out from the side.

Why is he going to eliminate the x brace though?

Lots of recent discussion about the New Whiteline Watts Link, no clunk or noise...Lots of shops here in S. Ca. starting to carry their line. Am. Muscle also has it available nationally....

I will be getting this watts link soon and doing a review on it soon.

He said nothing about getting ridof the x brace. He said eliminate the noise.

I see. Its funny I wonder how come now he changed the sway bars becuase the boss LS has 26mm rear and 36mm front sway bars and the steedas are 35 front and 25 rear which is the same as the gt500 with SVTPP. Yet in the pictures the steedas actually look thicker. I don't quite understand that.

What you say here is interesting because I finally got to drive in a bossLS my dealer had and the noise level from the rear at least was the exact same pretty much as my car. With a little bit of dynamat it would be the same if not better due to how dynamat is. Alex told me what makes noise in his car is the watts link and that it clunks a lot. Plus what I noticed is the boss is just louder because you basically have an exhaust pipe under your ear since its coming out from the side.

Why is he going to eliminate the x brace though?

He said nothing about getting ridof the x brace. He said eliminate the noise.

Correct, it's the noise Alex plans on eliminating, not the xbrace.

Dan

i didnt get on the track but running around the socal freeways it handle really well . it was a noticable differnce betwween the roush stage 3 package and the white line parts

ill keep the whiteline on the car and save the roush parts incase i sell the 428 and someone wants the original parts

JIM

Great to see you back on here Jim!! Tell Donna I said Hi too.

4460 miles on the Boss now and still loving every minute of it. It is getting the Kenne Bell 2.8LC this week and then Willwood brakes in time for SEMA.

Here are some more pictures:

Gary Disney interior...black leather seats with yellow stitching, yellow leather stripe and "Boss 302" and black alcantera suede inserts. These are the prototype seats Gray did to get licensed with Ford. Also did the leater shift booth and parking brake boot, both in black leather with yellow leather stripes. Gary is also doing door panel inserts, rear panel inserts, floor mats, rear trunk mat, and bra for this car for SEMA. Seats are much better looking and now the car has that new leather smell. I am a dealer for him if any of you want to upgrade your Mustang, Shelby or Boss interiors.

10-3-12021.jpg

10-3-12005.jpg

A picture on the way to Telingua with Dan and Laura's Shelby GT and Rick's Super Snake in Tombstone, AZ

10-3-12060.jpg

and in front of the historical courthouse...

10-3-12094.jpg

Turning 4K miles....

T12180.jpg

4444.4 miles...almost back to Palm Springs...

T12241.jpg

and finally back home...38 hours and 08 minutes of driving, 112.1 gallons of gas, and 2231.4 miles round trip including all the scenic driving, drag racing, salom, and the high speed run. What an event. Car performed flawlessly and didn;t miss a beat!

T12242.jpg

Very dirty Boss (it is all cleaned up and detailed again now, including underside) you can also see Rick, Dan and Laura leaving in the background where we said our good byes at a gas station...

T12243.jpg

T12247.jpg

Here is a link to all 296 pictures from the Terlingua, Texas trip....

http://s664.photobucket.com/albums/vv3/vapor08GT500/T12/?start=all

and a few that John Albani (Landshark) took of the Boss at the event...

T12-529.jpg

T12-535.jpg

T12-700.jpg

T12-704.jpg

T12-709.jpg

T12-197.jpg

Before the speed run

T12-1299.jpg

and the beginning of the speed run...

T12-1300-Edit.jpg

Stay tuned for Supercharger and Brakes!!!

Alex

Peter (jerseygator): Thank you. I am glad you enjoyed the pictures of T12! I wish I had the time to explain what each picture was, but with my work schedule lately, it is impossible.

Color sanding and buffing is a process where you take very fine sand paper ( we start with 1200 grit then 1500 grit) to knoch down the high spots of the OEM paint to make it flush with the low spots, you then buff for a much more

uniform, high shine.All OEM paint jobs have orange peel, which looks like the peel of and orange with low and high spots. With some time and patience, you can make an OEM paint job look like a $10K+ paint job w/ an amazing

deep, shine. It does take a LONG time!! My paint guy spent around 150 hours on my car color sanding each panel one at a time.

patrickshelby: Thank you for the comments!!! Stay tuned...brakes and supercharger are next...

Alex

Helix: Ford gave us an AWESOME start car as I like to say, very hard to improve upon. I drove it for a few hundred miles, and documented what I thought was good (and a few bad) and what I felt it would take to make it great for my use. These cars (all Mustangs) are trial and error and sometimes take many, many attempts to get the right combo for our applications. We all expect different things from our cars. Of the 100's (probably 1000's by now) SN197 platform cars I have built for those all around the world, I wanted to make something I could do anything with where there were no adverse issues, or where I would dislike driving the car. Watch in the next week for what is happening next...

Peter (jerseygator): Love the Alcoa's by the way!! Yes, color sanding and buffing is VERY time consuming. Just in materials if you do it yourself, be prepared for at least $500 in materials alone (sand paper, compound, buffing pads, and finishing compound) assuming you have a good buffer and pads. None of this stuff is cheap!!! Use a new pad for every side of the car. I know, it sounds insane, but even with white, spend the time and materials.. Do it panel by panel, don't go to the next until you are happy with the last one. Take your time, or have someone with patience do it, and it will be well worth your $$ and time. Your car can look like a million dollars!! We did a black (worst color to do!!) Bugatti Veyron a few months ago that had tons of peel...it looked like a Macco paint job to start, it ended up being a show piece. Just takes a huge amount of patience and time!! Even months later you may find a swirl or area you missed. At the SMP show, Rick Yates (pottydr) didn't hesitate to point out 2 areas of my Boss that were missed and never showed up in my lights...LOL..all fixed now...

But it doesn't matter..the Boss LS is going to SEMA and then going to Europe...sold and done with Mustangs for a while....

Alex

Archived