TEAM SHELBY FORUM

My New Boss 302 Laguna Seca Has Arrived!!

vapor08GT500

New 1 piece driveshaft....I have installed over 300 of them in 05 Mustangs now....

7-31-12019.jpg

and the stocker removed....24lb difference in weight...less reciprocating mass=more power to the ground and faster accelleration....

7-31-12023.jpg

7-31-12024.jpg

7-31-12025.jpg

7-31-12026.jpg

7-31-12027.jpg

7-31-12028.jpg

7-31-12030.jpg

New one piece installed:

Alex

Hi Alex,

Never had a vibration issue with the Dynotech aluminium driveshaft? At high speed? (I do not talk about cruising around, I talk about flat out on the autobahn...!)

I bought one Dynotech sometime ago, but never installed it because I read so many bad things about those aftermarket one piece aluminium driveshafts that I did not want the trouble...

Now that I read you went through so many with no problems reported...I am wondering if...!?

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL...I love you all (at least those that respond to my posts!!) ....it is always funny to me when I don't come on here for a few days, I start getting phone calls and emails to see if I am OK...I am great, just really busy....I don't post builds for those not on TS and don't want to bore you all with cars/trucks I am buying and selling each week.

I no longer use Dynatech driveshafts. They were too hit and miss. Out of 30 I'd install, 2 would have a vibration, so I don't use them anymore. "Oh Well" and "did you install correctly" didn't work for me....I only sell and install what I use and and happy with and my customers are happy with. Dynatech was great in most cases, but, "MOST" is not good enough for me. I won't install anything again when I get complaints, so good bye Dynatech. Fix the issues, or close your doors!! "Oh Well" will hurt Dynatech here more than they seem to think!! " Oh Well" for them...LOL!!!!!

Here are some more Boss pics....

Color sanding the original paint....now it looks great....no more orange peel...

8-9-12007.jpg

8-9-12008.jpg

and my headlight covers....

8-9-12010.jpg

8-9-12009.jpg

8-9-12009.jpg

8-9-12019.jpg

More later...

Alex

Paint looks awesome I have always been thinking of doing that to my blk paint. For some reason with front quarter pannel pics, when you can see the front and rear wheels they always look so much wider then say even the GT500 ones. Not sure if the wheel design or tread or what it is but they look good.

LOL...I love you all (at least those that respond to my posts!!) ....it is always funny to me when I don't come on here for a few days, I start getting phone calls and emails to see if I am OK...I am great, just really busy....I don't post builds for those not on TS and don't want to bore you all with cars/trucks I am buying and selling each week.

I no longer use Dynatech driveshafts. They were too hit and miss. Out of 30 I'd install, 2 would have a vibration, so I don't use them anymore. "Oh Well" and "did you install correctly" didn't work for me....I only sell and install what I use and and happy with and my customers are happy with. Dynatech was great in most cases, but, "MOST" is not good enough for me. I won't install anything again when I get complaints, so good bye Dynatech. Fix the issues, or close your doors!! "Oh Well" will hurt Dynatech here more than they seem to think!! " Oh Well" for them...LOL!!!!!

Here are some more Boss pics....

Color sanding the original paint....now it looks great....no more orange peel...

and my headlight covers....

more later...

Alex

Hi Alex,

I do not quite get it.

You no longer use Dynothech? You write you installed about 30 of those...but you wrote you installed many more than 30 aluminium driveshafts...what were the others? What better brand have you found? What is the one you just installed on that beautiful LS?

Thx!

Patrick

jnf: Thanks Jim, as always...keep following along...lots more to come...

cobra567: Haha Ken, Just been busy. I was actually in San Diego last week picking up a 1 family owned 71 Mach 1, you probably saw it on the San Diego CL. The father (passed away) left it to his son when he turned 18. As soon as the son turned 18 (last week) he decided to sell it. It is a time capsule, everything original and some rare options including power windows, 4 sp, rear window defroster, rear spoiler, 15X7 wheels ( standard was 14X7) a/c etc...here are a few teaser pics. I knew if I didn't go get the car (at midnight) that some Australian exporter would swoop it up. Have pictures and receipts for the car since day one...3 plastic tubs worth!! The widow spent over an hour balling over the car going, but it was her son's choice..

8-9-12022.jpg

8-9-12023.jpg

8-9-12029.jpg

Drove like a dream back to PS. Almost identical to a Grabber Yellow 71 Mach 1, M code 4speed I had in high school, they were even built in the same month!! A drunk ran a red light and totalled that one, so I parted it out. I will most likely be going to Monterey...

MJN: Wheels and tires size is the same as the GT500, it is just the tread design that makes them look wider. The wheels are already off the car. Color sanding and buffing the factory paint is VERY time consuming, but well worth the effort. We are doing the same process to Rick's black 40th right now, panel by panel....really turning out nice!!

patrickshelby: I re-read what I wrote and should clarify...I have installed 100's of 1 piece driveshafts from all the manufacturers. Dynatech was getting to be hit and miss, so I no longer use them. Now I use a company called CCI out of MI. No issues so far and I have installed 80 or so of them so far..

H0050: Thanks Harald!! Yellow is my favorite color, so it works perfect for me!!

I will post more pics of my Boss build later....suspension is about 1/2 way done now and new rear wheels just got fitted (33530ZR20)

Alex

Nice 71 Alex. Sweet find indeed. Tana and I will be coming to PS in 2013 to visit. What is the best month to come ? My work has a condo in Laquinta I will be getting for a week. I have not picked the date yet.

BTW...see this:

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php/topic/31161-theres-a-new-pony-in-grabbers-stable/page__view__findpost__p__1340832

JeffJ: Thank you. It was never my favorite body style either, but the best driving of all the 641/2-73 Mustangs and I love the way this one looks and is optioned. It actually is alot of fun to drive, has plenty of power (last year of the high compression 351C) handles and stops well, and sounds awesome. It was featured in Mustang Monthly in October of 93 and has won 88 first place and best of show trophies over the years. Bob Perkins judged this car at a few MCA events and I have all the judging score cards. It really is a nice car.

Grabber: Thanks Rob! I read about David going into the National Guard and responded in that thread. Mid October to May is perfect weather in Palm Springs, usually mid 70's. Summer is brutal...over 115 each day. At 3 am this morning it was still over 100!! Can't wait for you and Tana to come visit...keep me posted on that. I will show you both around and we will have fun.

cobra567: I knew if I didn't go get it at midnight you would have got it, Ken, or the first person to look at it would have grabbed it. It's not usually my practice to call someone at midnight, but the kid posted it at 11:15 so I called as soon as it popped up. Paid more than I wanted to, but the car is worth every penny. I am going to keep it for a while, do a few things here and there, enjoy it for a bit, then re-sell it. Of course I love yellow!!! I usually have at least 3 yellow vehicles at a time. LOL...You forgot about my yellow Ranger Edge Tremor...

8-2-12030.jpg

8-2-12027.jpg

and for sale here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280940118398&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT#ht_80323wt_1084

Blown Away: Thanks Dan!! You'll have to check it out when you are here next.

Here are some more pics....

Hood struts on,and changed out all the engine box bolts for stainless steel....

8-9-12011.jpg

8-9-12004.jpg

8-9-12005.jpg

8-9-12006.jpg

8-9-12013.jpg

8-9-12014.jpg

8-9-12016.jpg

and a few while we were color sanding and buffing...

8-1-12003.jpg

8-1-12004.jpg

8-1-12005.jpg

I also had the whole front bumper clear bra-ed, the rockers, windshield pillars and the whole side of the car below the stripes

Now for the rear suspension, courtesy of Steeda....lower billet arms with urethane bushing on frame end, spherical bearing on axle end, adjustable upper arm and bracket, Watts link (chrome moly) rear sway bar with billet end links, and lower control arm relocation brackets...

8-11-12008.jpg

8-11-12009.jpg

8-11-12010.jpg

Stock parts coming off...

8-11-12011.jpg

8-11-12012.jpg

The wimpy upper control arm and bracket that comes on these cars. This is what causes all the wheel hop...you can see the huge difference between stock and the sturdy Steeda piece.

8-11-12013.jpg

8-11-12014.jpg

8-11-12015.jpg

and now the lower control arm relocation brackets before we welded them in....

8-11-12016.jpg

8-11-12017.jpg

Alex

Thanks Rob....keep following along...lots of pics are going to be posted tonight...

more of the rear arms and relocation brackets....

8-11-12018.jpg

8-11-12019.jpg

8-11-12020.jpg

Now for the Watts link...

8-11-12022.jpg

all the wimpy stock parts off...

8-11-12023.jpg

stock mufflers off...

8-11-12024.jpg

8-11-12025.jpg

And the Watts link installed...

8-11-12027.jpg

8-11-12028.jpg

8-11-12029.jpg

Alex

We then put the car on the weight of the suspension to adjust the Watts link and make sure the lower control arms were as parallel to the ground as possible. We also set the pinion angle at this time. My MMS mufflers are now installed and my widened 20X11.75" Shelby Alcoas with 33530ZR20 Micelin Pilots. Looks really mean now!!

8-11-12030.jpg

8-11-12031.jpg

8-11-12032.jpg

8-11-12033.jpg

8-11-12034.jpg

8-11-12035.jpg

8-11-12037.jpg

New Steeda Boss coil springs....

8-11-12039.jpg

8-11-12041.jpg

and now my MMS mufflers...car sounds like a Boss should now!!

8-11-12042.jpg

8-11-12043.jpg

Will tackle the front suspension tomorrow....

Alex

Alex,

Thank you for the "driveshaft answer" !

If you ever come to see a new (or like new) Alcoa 20x10 durabright rear rim for sale: I am a taker (I destroyed one on my car)...

I would even buy a full set of course.

I happen to be late on every Alcoas I see for sale... :banghead:

Excited to see your LS finished! Great work!

Best regards,

jnf: Thanks Jim, as always...keep following along...lots more to come...

cobra567: Haha Ken, Just been busy. I was actually in San Diego last week picking up a 1 family owned 71 Mach 1, you probably saw it on the San Diego CL. The father (passed away) left it to his son when he turned 18. As soon as the son turned 18 (last week) he decided to sell it. It is a time capsule, everything original and some rare options including power windows, 4 sp, rear window defroster, rear spoiler, 15X7 wheels ( standard was 14X7) a/c etc...here are a few teaser pics. I knew if I didn't go get the car (at midnight) that some Australian exporter would swoop it up. Have pictures and receipts for the car since day one...3 plastic tubs worth!! The widow spent over an hour balling over the car going, but it was her son's choice..

8-9-12022.jpg

8-9-12023.jpg

8-9-12029.jpg

Drove like a dream back to PS. Almost identical to a Grabber Yellow 71 Mach 1, M code 4speed I had in high school, they were even built in the same month!! A drunk ran a red light and totalled that one, so I parted it out. I will most likely be going to Monterey...

MJN: Wheels and tires size is the same as the GT500, it is just the tread design that makes them look wider. The wheels are already off the car. Color sanding and buffing the factory paint is VERY time consuming, but well worth the effort. We are doing the same process to Rick's black 40th right now, panel by panel....really turning out nice!!

patrickshelby: I re-read what I wrote and should clarify...I have installed 100's of 1 piece driveshafts from all the manufacturers. Dynatech was getting to be hit and miss, so I no longer use them. Now I use a company called CCI out of MI. No issues so far and I have installed 80 or so of them so far..

H0050: Thanks Harald!! Yellow is my favorite color, so it works perfect for me!!

I will post more pics of my Boss build later....suspension is about 1/2 way done now and new rear wheels just got fitted (33530ZR20)

Alex

Alex, your description on the phone the other day doesn't do her justice! what a treasure!!! Someday that kid is going to look back with regret............youth is wasted on the young :shrug:

We then put the car on the weight of the suspension to adjust the Watts link and make sure the lower control arms were as parallel to the ground as possible. We also set the pinion angle at this time. My MMS mufflers are now installed and my widened 20X11.75" Shelby Alcoas with 33530ZR20 Micelin Pilots. Looks really mean now!!

8-11-12030.jpg

8-11-12031.jpg

8-11-12032.jpg

8-11-12033.jpg

8-11-12034.jpg

8-11-12035.jpg

8-11-12037.jpg

New Steeda Boss coil springs....

8-11-12039.jpg

8-11-12041.jpg

and now my MMS mufflers...car sounds like a Boss should now!!

8-11-12042.jpg

8-11-12043.jpg

Will tackle the front suspension tomorrow....

Alex

What are your impressions on the steeda watts link? Hows the quality compared to fays2 or griggs? Why did you choose the steeda one over those and hows the NVH? Nice build by the way very entertaining.

msmap: Thanks Sherri!! It is a time capsule for sure. Haven't had time to do anything to it yet, but have a few odds and ends on order to install after Rick's 40th is done

B Shelby. Thanks Robert!! Started on the front today, and will finish tomorrow. Did you go to Woodward again this year?

Grabber: Glad you are following the thread, Rob. Probably around $7500 for all parts, labor, alignment, etc not including the Alocoa Forged Shelby wheels, widening, tires, mounting/balancing and sensors, which ended up being around $5500

H050: Thanks Harald!! See you in a few days in Monterey and you can check the car out in person...

patrickshelby; My pleasure Patrick and thank you for the comments. I got the last several sets of Alcoa's built, had 2 sets widened, and sold the other. I will keep my eyes and ears open for you if I find another set.

Green Mojavi: I know, Ben, the car is a stunner. Original owner won 88 first place and Best of Show trophies with the car and also was judged at several MCA events. I even got the score cards!! It is a REALLY nice car that I am going to make even nicer when I get some time. The kid knew what he had because of his mother (original owner's widow) and knew the value, but would have surely ruined the car if he drove it. Only 164 miles were put on the car since 1995 (until I got it, I have already put 100 on it!!) and car has never been driven in bad weather since new. It only has 70K original miles. I got your email and will respond tonight. I have been swamped to say the least...

svt13: I have installed all 3 brands you metioned and also the Saleen units when they were available and prefer the Steeda for 3 main reasons...very quiet, no failures, and chrome moly steel as opposed to mild steel which is double the weight. I have seen several of the other units break and it is not pretty.

Here are some pictures from today. Upper strut mounts didn't arrive today, so we couldn't install the front springs. I did take the car for a ride today to make sure there was no tire rubbing with my 33530ZR20's...None at all. I am very happy and the car now feels like it is on rails.

Here are some pictures of the car on the ground after I drove it about 20 miles...

8-13-12001.jpg

8-13-12002.jpg

And here's a nice shot of my MMS mufflers with 4" slash cut tips....It sounds incredible now...

8-13-12003.jpg

and look at how beefy the 11/3/4" wide wheels with 33535ZR20 tires look....its going to need every mm of width for the upcoming power "enhancments"

8-13-12004.jpg

Now for the front sway bar....The Steeda unit is much beefier and the end links speak for themselves....

8-13-12005.jpg

8-13-12006.jpg

8-13-12007.jpg

8-13-12008.jpg

More in a bit...

Alex

Ok...now many of you will think I am nuts on this one, but I make it a common practice on all my new cars. I always change the oil in the first 400-500 miles. The reason? The factory oil filter gets partially clogged with the assembly lube that that is used while the engines are being assembled. I did the proper break in procedure...I varied RPM's from 2000 to 5500 and gears for the first 300 miles with no cruise control and no wide open throttle jaunts. Now, it is broken in and has burned no oil. I used the correct Motorcraft Gold 5W50 synthetic. Original oil looked perfect when drained today and the original oil filer has FoMoCo on it and the silkscreened part #'s and date codes for its original fill, so I didn't use a oil filter wrench on it, removed it, drained it and put it in a ziplock bag too keep with all the other stock take off parts off this car for some collector to fret about 20 years from now...LOL. The Motorcraft Ford FL500s is larger than the factory fill filter.

8-13-12010.jpg

8-13-12011.jpg

And now you can see the new Steeda front sway bar installed too...

8-13-12012.jpg

8-13-12013.jpg

And a few of the rear suspension not sitting under it's own weight....

8-13-12014.jpg

8-13-12015.jpg

and another of my MMS polished mufflers...

8-13-12016.jpg

another of rear finished suspension...

8-13-12017.jpg

New oil filter my worker is installing, see how it is about 1/3 bigger than the original fill filter...

8-13-12018.jpg

8-13-12019.jpg

More to come...

Alex

That's not a car..............it's rolling Art. :wub:

She is stunning Alex. The rear stance is perfect and the widened Alcoas look fantastic on the BOSS. I thought the SBY looked great before, but know I see a whole new color once you're finished........absolutely beautiful my friend.

Congrats on the Mach. How on earth are you going to fit her in your warehouse...hmmm, let me think :idea: I know, sell you know what to me :D . She is a great find and will fit nicely in your stable of beautiful and rare cars.

I walked in to my local Ford dealer this morning and was surprised to see a school bus yellow Laguna Seca on the showroom floor.

It was cool to look it over from top to bottom and point out all of the parts that Alex has already swapped out. That color/stripe combo is beautiful in person! Great choice Alex!!!

Not sure what the going rate is on these cars, the dealer had it listed with $10,000 ADM

Archived