TEAM SHELBY FORUM

My New Boss 302 Laguna Seca Has Arrived!!

vapor08GT500

Big time CONGRATS Alex. :yahoo:

She is stunning my friend......Perfect color combo for the BOSS LS and the one I would choose if Marji let me get one.

I'm thinking we need a Palm Springs pizza party at Casa de Alex's. happy%20feet.gif

Hugs from Marji and I.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you for all your comments and questions, my friends!!

jerseygator: Yes, lots of yellow, black and Sterling Gray, Peter!! I love it, but will be doing many changes as time allows. The faux gas cap, no rear seat, rear pedestal wing In Sterling Gray, different stripes, and the wheels are the give-away that the car is an LS vs. a regular Boss 302 visually. Then the standard Recaro seats and 3.73 Torsen differential, and different suspension is the difference mechanically. Nothing is changed between standard and LS engine and transmission wise. The LS's also come with the larger front splitter, brake cooling ducts, and a transmission cooler scoop, all of which are shipped to the dealer before the car arrives by Ford. I will be putting those items on as time allows too.

jnf: Thanks Jim!! I don't want to spoil the surprises, so you and others will have to keep checking back on this thread for updates as time allows. Right now, I have my paint guy color sanding and buffing the paint, panel by panel, to get rid of the factory orange peel. I have had this done on many for myself and others and it really makes the paint look much more expensive and quality that factory paint. Then it will get some clear bra-ing.

Vorpal Bunny: Thank you David!! I love the colors too. Any of you that know me, know that yellow is my favorite color. I have owned over 100 yellow vehicles over the years. I look forward to seeing you and the group in Texas for Terlingua in October. Car will be done by then!!

IASHELBYGT: I already have my widened Alcoas for the street 20X11.75 with 33530ZR20 tires in the back, but will probably keep these for track time. I will let you know if I want to sell them.

tedj: Thanks Ted, build will not disappoint....just may take longer than I would like due to having so many customer builds at a time!!

MY500SS: Hugs to you and Marji too and thanks on the Congrats!!! I really love this car and the color. If Marji drove it (besides the horrible shifter) she would surely let you get one!! Not a perfect car (yet) but closer to perfect than you would think right out of the box. This weekend, I am probably doing the Mini-Nats, but the following weekend, you should both come over...we all have lots to get caught up with....LOL

cobra567: I know Ken...my painter has color sanded and buffed many stock Ford paint jobs with great success...can make the stock paint job look like a $10K custom paint job and look wet when dry. Hood catch drove me nuts as it was already scratched, so I grabbed a chrome one from upstairs and threw it on before my workers left late on Saturday night and also took the side exhaust baffles out to give it some sound until I get my MMS mufflers on as I wanted to drive it on Sunday. Don't worry...you will get to see plenty of mods, most of which I already have, its just a matter of time..." :worship:" :worship:

07SGT0547: Don't worry, Gregg, you will get to see some more goodies this week. Glad you are able to see my posts again, with out signing in as a guest!

Blown Away: My pleasure, Dan....glad you got to see it and drive it on Friday night. That was it's final drive, all stock...LOL. It is always great to see you.

Stay tuned, more mods to be installed soon... :happy feet: :happy feet:"" :camera:

Alex

Great looking new ride Alex, and you will make it much better, as you always do... Someone brought a New '13 Boss like yours to Cars on Sat, and also a New Black/Silver Boss LS... Noticed they took the 3 gauge on dash package out of the'13's, I guess because of the new LED screen...A friend of mine who has a '12 Boss LS will be watching your build with great interest.. As to the shifter, a few friends who have 5.0's have used the Barton shifter, and seem to like it a lot. Have you checked it out?? Just wondering..

Keep up the great work my friend...

Mac

Amazing Boss! I'll be watching this closely as well; it's fascinating that you can do so much to a car like that at that status already. I'm hooked to the amount of effort and precise intellectual mapping your using for this. Keep them coming, I want to hear every word!

Thank you my friends!!

Cali_KR: I hear you may be getting a Boss too Tom? You will love it if you do!! Sorry I won't be seeing you guys this weekend in Napa....my car just arrived too late to get it ready for this event. The weather has been so humid the last 2 days, that my clear bra guy could't even do the clear bra!!

HiPerGT500: Thanks Bill, Did you finish your header/muffler install yet from the package you got from me?

mywickedshelby: You will see her in Terlingua in person, Michael!! For now, you can watch the mods here...LOL. Can't wait to hear all the Europe stories....

VorpalBunny: Can't wait David!!

slabo: Don't worry, She'll be taken care of, but people keep wanting to buy it before I have even finished it yet!! Hope you, Pam, and the kids, have been well, Bob.

glroy: Hehe...I think you all want to fight over it....and its not even done yet....Hope you and Lisa are well and that the renovation is done on your bathroom by now!!

Ray Lucca: Thanks Mac! Yes, the 13 Laguna's don't have the center dash pod as all the temps, pressures, and apps are in the LCD screen, including G-meter, braking, acceleration, etc...I have used the Barton's before too, but still prefer the Steeda on the MT-82's...smoothest, quietest, easiest to put in reverse, and still best shifting position of the 3.

shelby001: Thank Jim!! Stay tuned....

Helix: It is amazing right out of the box, just like the '13 GT500, but everything has room for improvement!!

Like I said, it has been so humid the last two days, that the clear bra-ing couldn't be done, and the clear coating we have been doing on Rick's 40th wasn't drying properly, so we put the boss back on the lift to install the dirveshaft and paint a few things that Ford left bare metal. A note on the 2 piece drive shaft on these cars...I have had 2 customer's break their stock 2 piece shafts on the street in front of my shop in the past few months and about 10 total. I can not stress enough, what a joke the stock 2 piece shafts are, not to mention heavy!! Here are some pics of all the stock stickers and markings I could find while on the lift....

7-31-12002.jpg

7-31-12003.jpg

7-31-12004.jpg

7-31-12005.jpg

And the Ford Racing brake duct kit that comes with the Laguna Seca that will be put on tomorrow....

7-31-12006.jpg

7-31-12007.jpg

7-31-12008.jpg

7-31-12009.jpg

Then the stock 2 piece driveshaft....

7-31-12010.jpg

7-31-12011.jpg

More in a bit...

Alex

New 1 piece driveshaft....I have installed over 300 of them in 05 Mustangs now....

7-31-12019.jpg

and the stocker removed....24lb difference in weight...less reciprocating mass=more power to the ground and faster accelleration....

7-31-12023.jpg

7-31-12024.jpg

7-31-12025.jpg

7-31-12026.jpg

7-31-12027.jpg

7-31-12028.jpg

7-31-12030.jpg

New one piece installed:

7-31-12031.jpg

7-31-12032.jpg

Alex

And of course the stock, stamped steel upper and lower rear control arms which are going soon. These are what cause all the wheel hop in 05+ Mustangs as they flex alot and have spongy rubber bushings...

7-31-12012.jpg

7-31-12013.jpg

7-31-12014.jpg

the backing plate mounts and rear end isolators were already starting to rust, as Ford leaves them bare metal...

7-31-12015.jpg

and a few more underside shots...

7-31-12016.jpg

7-31-12017.jpg

7-31-12018.jpg

Then the Laguna Seca trans cooler scoop...1st picture shows the scoop before installed and the already removed cross member brace that it replaces...last 2 show the scoop installed.....

7-31-12020.jpg

7-31-12021.jpg

7-31-12022.jpg

Alex

And then the underside detail. Anything bare metal that was not rusted yet was clear coated with a matte clear. After everything was cleaned up, I sprayed the whole underside with Pig Spit. You can buy it at most Harley shops or order it by the case online like I do. Pig Spit comes in aerosol cans and adds a nice protective barrier to all painted surfaces, rubber, aluminum, pretty much anything but brakes. The nice thing about it is that it is not greasy and nothing sticks to it, so it is great for engine boxes and undersides. Even cars I take to the track, rubber doesn't stick to it, and if you get stuck in the rain, water and mud is repelled. Great stuff!!

7-31-12051.jpg

7-31-12052.jpg

7-31-12054.jpg

7-31-12055.jpg

7-31-12056.jpg

7-31-12057.jpg

7-31-12058.jpg

and the rusty backing plate brackets got painted black....

7-31-12041.jpg

7-31-12059.jpg

7-31-12060.jpg

Alex

Alex, the family is all well and SUPER busy as usual. You need to do the reality show....I gotta get off of Lynda's Food Network "Chopped" and the kids Pawn Stars. I gotta get out sometime and see this project for real. Based on your first picture of the odometer....does it have a bigger gas tank?? 300 on the odometer and 90 something to empty.

Alex,

Your threads are truly addictive. Beautiful car, glad to see your new ride has ignited another spark for you, easy to see the passion you have for the cars and your TS family. Thanks for sharing!

Does the Boss have electric cut-offs? It looks like there is both side pipes and rear mufflers.

Bob

Hi Alex,

I just purchased a 2013 Black Boss 302 LS and I will be flying to FL to pick it up next week. I have two questions:

1. The dealer is installing the track key software at the time of delivery, how can I check to make sure it was installed properly. I do not

want to leave the dealership and drive back to Georgia until I verify that it was installed correctly.

2. The LS literature states that it has break and oil coolers. Are they installed from the factory or do you have to get the dealership to

install them? Your pictures show that you are going to install them.

I love your car and wish you the very best with it. I appreciate any feedback on my questions above.

Thanks,

Dennis

Dennis the extra parts, front splitter, brake ducts and trans cooler are given to you to install. Ask the dealer if he will do this for you, they can't do it before the sale.

If the track key software is installed when you start with the red key you will see something on the dash that says track key active, track use only.....or something close to that anyway. After the car warms up the idle will change a little and another message that says track key idle enabled will show on the dash.

Hope that answers your questions ;)

Archived