TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2013 Shelby GT350 Prototype #1 Build

Frankly sir, your posts here are misconstrued and full of factual errors, I, and everyone else here, surely can't take anything you post as serious or genuine. By-the-way, Ford Racing superchargers are not made by Ford. They are manufactured by Belle and Whipple and sold by Ford Racing, which is the same superchargers used by Shelby American.

Don't forget the TVS is sourced from Roush. I know what I'm talking about...

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No offense, but you guys should let the formally-trained designers at Ford handle the aesthetics. These cars are looking worse and worse by the day. The retro badge is cool as a novelty, but doesn't belong with this design. Maybe an updated version of the retro badge would make more sense. Generally speaking, I believe you would add more credibility to the Shelby brand as a whole if you spent time developing a package that enhances the existing Mustang lineup and is more in line with Ford's marketing strategy. It makes no sense to offer a GT350 with 650hp that competes with a GT500. The value of all Shelby Mustangs are diluted every day as you shift the focus to customized, post-title packages and endless special editions.

You certainly are entitled to your opinion, but luckily for Shelby American, your opinion is not shared by a whole bunch of people with cars on the ground in Las Vegas waiting to be converted.

It always cracks me up that some people believe that SA should just close their doors so that their car will be worth more in the future. I'd rather see SA prosper and keep more people employed, and continue churning out Shelby cars for many people to enjoy. I can't wait to see what comes next!!!

You certainly are entitled to your opinion, but luckily for Shelby American, your opinion is not shared by a whole bunch of people with cars on the ground in Las Vegas waiting to be converted.

It always cracks me up that some people believe that SA should just close their doors so that their car will be worth more in the future. I'd rather see SA prosper and keep more people employed, and continue churning out Shelby cars for many people to enjoy. I can't wait to see what comes next!!!

Yep, good point. I never suggested closing their doors. However, it is a fact that the value of Shelby cars as a whole gets diluted as the production numbers increase. It's just a simple matter of supply and demand. At the end of the day, our cars are a niche market in the grand scheme of things anyway. Furthermore, the stripe kits on a pre/post-title Shelby is simply inferior to the kits that come on the GT500 from the factory. They fade, peel and crack in a few years. Whereas, the Ford stripes on my car are treated with a glossy finish that has withstood 5 years already and still look great. Furthermore, I can order a new set as an OEM part from the Ford Parts website. For me it's not about the investment potential. It's all about quality, performance and cost. From my perspective, I have the best of all worlds...performance of a Super-Snakewith the expense of a Shelby GT and high availabiltiy of replacement parts.

It appears to me that the 2013 GT350 is using the 2012 style front front end. On the '13 Mustang the hood no longer extends all the way over the grill as previous years did.

I can't wait to see the back end!

Point taken...and yes it's a very exclusive, expensive vehicle...but if this was a key factor about you owning one of these vehicles it seems to me you would be on the side of them making less of these and not more of them.

I have five SVT dealers in a 20 mile radius of my home and I drive my GT500 almost every day for 6 or 7 months of the year and I'd be hard pressed to see more than a handfull of any model year at any given year.....4000 + vehicles annually is a worldwide number so it's not like you see one on every street corner.

I'm confused by your first sentence. Of course I'd like to see less of these made. Where did I indicate differently? I am not a fan at all of the 2013 and am thrilled they did such drastic changes from the 11-12's. I like the original look of the white with blue stripes, which I have on my 12, also the center exhaust. I still cannot believe they did away with that on the 2013.

You certainly are entitled to your opinion, but luckily for Shelby American, your opinion is not shared by a whole bunch of people with cars on the ground in Las Vegas waiting to be converted. It always cracks me up that some people believe that SA should just close their doors so that their car will be worth more in the future. I'd rather see SA prosper and keep more people employed, and continue churning out Shelby cars for many people to enjoy. I can't wait to see what comes next!!! Yep, good point. I never suggested closing their doors. However, it is a fact that the value of Shelby cars as a whole gets diluted as the production numbers increase. It's just a simple matter of supply and demand. At the end of the day, our cars are a niche market in the grand scheme of things anyway. Furthermore, the stripe kits on a pre/post-title Shelby is simply inferior to the kits that come on the GT500 from the factory. They fade, peel and crack in a few years. Whereas, the Ford stripes on my car are treated with a glossy finish that has withstood 5 years already and still look great. Furthermore, I can order a new set as an OEM part from the Ford Parts website. For me it's not about the investment potential. It's all about quality, performance and cost. From my perspective, I have the best of all worlds...performance of a Super-Snakewith the expense of a Shelby GT and high availabiltiy of replacement parts.

Easy answer for the stripes. Get the $5,000 painted option! LOL. Way too much money, but damn they look good.

My understanding is, Jack Roush pretty much _IS_ Ford Racing.....

Phill

yeah, i definitely wish i had the coin laying around to paint the stripes. better yet, wish Ford or Shelby offered that standard, but it all comes down to cost savings and maximizing profits. If I have the car long enough though, I will probably give it a complete paint job with stripes...

I'm confused by your first sentence. Of course I'd like to see less of these made. Where did I indicate differently? I am not a fan at all of the 2013 and am thrilled they did such drastic changes from the 11-12's. I like the original look of the white with blue stripes, which I have on my 12, also the center exhaust. I still cannot believe they did away with that on the 2013.

Sorry for the confusion...the way I read this was the Gt500 was over exposed and you wouldn't own one and the GT350 was the way to go by the lower production numbers....end of discussion

That statement in itself about the appeal of lower production numbers leads on to believe you are very pro to the continuation of this program

Yeah, I figured that argument would creep into the discussion..about my GT500 not being a 'real' Shelby because it wasn't modified by the folks in Vegas. That's BS. My car is a Shelby, period. It can be added to the Shelby registry by VIN alone. The man himself was involved in both name and spirit in the development of the GT500. 100% of the engineering for all of these Mustangs was done by Ford anyway. Without Ford's help there would be no Shelby Mustang to even argue about. To be perfectly honest, Shelby American has done very little to create their 'authentic' versions beyond adding aftermarket performance parts available to anyone (including many of those parts being sourced from Ford Racing). Dolling the cars up with inferior stripe kits and badges and selling them at a huge premium doesn't make sense to me. And like it or not, the GT350 does compete with the GT500, as they appeal to the same buyer, sport similar horsepower numbers, and cost as much or more as a GT500. That looks like a money grab to me, not a well thought out collaboration.

<01> Your Shelby is a REAL Shelby, it is a "Ford Shelby. The Shelbys built at SAI are SAI Shelbys.

<02> Just like the Original 1965-69 Shelbys.

<01> Your Shelby is a REAL Shelby, it is a "Ford Shelby. The Shelbys built at SAI are SAI Shelbys.

I would think that is inaccurate. I would say the car is what the DMV calls it. They are still registered as Ford Mustangs NOT Shelby's.

<01> Your Shelby is a REAL Shelby, it is a "Ford Mustang Shelby. The Shelbys built at SAI are Ford Mustang SAI Shelbys.

<02> Just like the Original 1965-69 Ford Mustang Shelbys.

I would think that is inaccurate. I would say the car is what the DMV calls it. They are still registered as Ford Mustangs NOT Shelby's.

Yes, it's difficult to get around that little inconvenient fact that most SAI Shelby vehicles were once mere Mustangs...

Both my '07 "Ford Shelby" and my '09 "SAI Shelby" indeed show up as Mustangs on my Quebec vehicle registration. This "real Shelby" issue seems like a never ending debate. For me, the answer is simple, both of my cars are "real Shelbys".

Interesting Canadian fact that might be of interest to some......In Alberta, the DMV equivalent produces a registration slip that doesn't even say Mustang. It says something like ST-16....just a bunch of numbers and letters. So I asked my friend who works there what was up with that. She said what do you want it registered as? I said well, a Shelby GT500KR. She said we can make that change if you furnish proof of exactly what it is. Once I handed over my Shelby certificate of authenticity, she put the change in and printed off new cards. Others might like to inquire at their next registration. I did not know changes were possible but I think you can get whatever you want on those cards if you ask and furnish proof.

Both my '07 "Ford Shelby" and my '09 "SAI Shelby" indeed show up as Mustangs on my Quebec vehicle registration. This "real Shelby" issue seems like a never ending debate. For me, the answer is simple, both of my cars are "real Shelbys".

Frankly sir, your posts here are misconstrued and full of factual errors, I, and everyone else here, surely can't take anything you post as serious or genuine. By-the-way, Ford Racing superchargers are not made by Ford. They are manufactured by Belle and Whipple and sold by Ford Racing, which is the same superchargers used by Shelby American.

Your statement also contains a factual error - Ford does not source super chargers from KB.

From this post forward, we're not going to debate Dearborn (Flat Rock) vs. Las Vegas build models - this post is about the #1 GT350 build. If anyone wishes to discuss anything other than this, open another topic.

As they are both post title cars with Ford as the manufacturer of record, that is true as shown by the VIN. My 2011 GT350 is also a Ford Mustang by designation and registration. However, my 1966 GT350 has a Shelby American VIN, not Ford (that is covered by the SA plate and the fenders) and is legally registered as a "Shelby Mustang" as back then, SAI had its own manufacturer of record factory code. But to me both cars are Shelby vehicles under the direction and production of SA.

Love it, Robert!! GHG will certainly get attention for a show car too. Although some may not like the 67 style emblems, I do...it is continuing the heritage for those interested....65 & 66 (11&12) and now 67 (13). I also love the fact colors are available besides the white only 65 & 11, then a few colors 66 & 12, and now all colors 67 & 13. Great job!!

Allex

I think someone needs a history lesson. I recently spoke to one of our members who attended the SAAC convention. He related he will never attend another SAAC meet as long as he lives. He felt he was not welcome there. Funny, had to do with he not real GT 500. Arrogance can suck the life out of the hobby. If you need a car to make yourself feel superior to another human being, may I suggest a Porshe or a Vette

maybe its time for a Boss.

TEST, 68, 69 AND 70 Shelbys were not built by SA

Your post made me, and many others I'm sure, chuckle just a little! So, what has changed from 1965 compared to today? It sounds to me like Shelby American is doing the same thing they have always done when it comes to modifying and "re-engineering" Mustangs. Maybe you need a history lesson on Shelby American. You are correct though - the GT 500 was engineered and made by Ford with Mr. Shelby's blessing. The Shelby GT, GT/SC, GTS, Super Snake, GT 350 and some other Shelby models were re-engineered Ford Mustangs by Shelby American and modified by Shelby American - not Ford - just like they were back during the 1960's. Many of the Shelbys from the 1960's too, used off-the-shelf Ford parts for their modifications; to include brakes, export braces, wheels, suspension upgrades etc.

Many here, aren't interested in a GT 500. We grew up on vintage Shelbys and when the time came again to relive the days gone by, we jumped at the chance to purchase a Shelby American car again. I've owned two 1960's GT 350's and believe me, nothing will put a smile on your face like a genuine, Shelby-engineered, supercharged beast that they manufacture today. After-all, these Mustangs are a Shelby - engineered and modified by Shelby American (Carroll Shelby's company) !!!

Too bad you weren't around back then to enjoy the Shelby experience. It was a blast then as it is now. Enjoy your GT 500 as it is also a great car from a great legend to us all - Mr. Carroll Shelby. There are many models of Mustangs to choose from today, just like during the 1960's thru the early 1970's. What was once old is now new again and I for one am thankful that there are alternatives to some of Ford's offerings. After all, there are many more GT 500's being produced than Shelby American cars. For some of us here, we like that option more than a factory purchased "hot rod."

jP

+1...Very well said...

If I had the money (and the garage space) then I'd own one of each: SGT, GT 500, GT 350, and Boss 302.

Andy

Me too!

And I would never torture my mind finding out which one is "THE REAL GENUINE THING" or not, and why...

They're all great cars for a lifelong Mustang fan.

The best a Mustang can be!

Archived