TEAM SHELBY FORUM

3 Things that Really bug me about my GTH

I love my GTH. But am sick about 3 things.

1. The PIAA lights. They keep burning out. I replace one, and then the other, and then another. I finally just unplugged them and leave them in for looks. Those bulbs are expensive!

2. Stripes - enough said.

3. My rear window eventually came unglued from the top and completely fell down! Because it is integrated with the top, everything has to be replaced. Price from friend (not even dealer) is $2000.00! I understand this is a problem with all Mustang convertibles. Well, $2000 isnt sitting around, so I used my ingenuity and am using double sided emblem tape that can be bought at any auto zone. Seems to be working except one corner - but I should be able to redo that. Works, and saves my $2000 at least for now.

I love my GTH. But am sick about 3 things.

1. The PIAA lights. They keep burning out. I replace one, and then the other, and then another. I finally just unplugged them and leave them in for looks. Those bulbs are expensive!

2. Stripes - enough said.

3. My rear window eventually came unglued from the top and completely fell down! Because it is integrated with the top, everything has to be replaced. Price from friend (not even dealer) is $2000.00! I understand this is a problem with all Mustang convertibles. Well, $2000 isnt sitting around, so I used my ingenuity and am using double sided emblem tape that can be bought at any auto zone. Seems to be working except one corner - but I should be able to redo that. Works, and saves my $2000 at least for now.

I agree with the stripes ... both Shelby GT's and GT-H's share this issue, the other issues seems to be 2007 / convertible specific but us 2006 owners have the dead battery issue but I wouldn't trade my GT-H for anything.

• 3 weeks later...

Just noticed, my window has not come out, but it has come unglued, the top is not tight. Can you share more on the steps to repair? deems that having the top down makes it easier to attach tape. Pictures would help. and would this be a RECALL Item

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My window came un glued like the thread stated, I didnt notice it until here. I also purchased 3M double sided tape, and it works PERFECTLY. You have to bring the top down a little, so you can stretch the top and tape it. Easy repair, you do need another person in the inside to push on the glass.

You are correct about all of these problems. The convertible top on the GT-Hs suffered a little more abuse from Hertz customers who didn't really care about proper top up/down directions. The stripes on both the 2006 and 2007 GT-Hs are what they are. A believed to be "preminum vendor" supplied the stripes and they just have not been good. Another factor is the way the GT-Hs were serviced / washed at Hertz. As a 27 year employee at Hertz, I cannot tell you how many times I watched the Hertz Garagemen (car washers and refuelers) use tire cleaner on the car body ( stripes and paint) in an attempt to quickly remove bugs and hard to get grime. On a hot day this stuff will dull the stripes and spot them almost immediately making the stripes even less likely to survive in good condition. I know this isn't much of an answer to your problems, just a set of contributing factors. regards, Larry Miller, SAI / Team Shelby Registrar Hertz GT-H

Will that window stay in @ 80 mph ? WINDOW FALLS OUT Is this the first convertible Ford made ? What gives ? I just sold my 08 SGT conv and had no idea this could happen .

It should. The reason that i think the original double sided tape came off, was due to heat. My Hertz spent its time in Maui, but this past summer i had the car as a dally driver in San Antonio with 100 degree heat and outside (i normally garage it). This is when I started to notice it.

The glass im taking about is the one attached to the Convertible Top. You CANNOT bring the top down while driving, so that would never happen

I meant the power side window not the power top.The wind rushing in could be a problem with the top up. What would happen if all the windows were down @ 80mph ?

• 4 months later...

The number one thing that bugs me about my GT-H is that my 21year old college student is coming home for the summer. I let him drive it during summer break and he wasn't sacred to put the hammer down on the expressway entrance. I forgot what real torque felt like in the passenger seat!

Archived