TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Real World 1/4 mile times????

JeffInDFW

Come on, boys! We all know the magazine writers can't drive for crap, and they just use a dusty parking lot somewhere! I'm dying to know what a 2013 GT500 does at a drag strip with roll out and VHT! I want to see numbers for a car on OEM rubber, and then numbers for a car on drag radials. SURELY someone has had their 2013 to the drag strip! LOL! I know it is hot as hell right now, so numbers will not be optimal until we see a cool down months from now, but........

slicks are different from DR's....so far ive seen a few owners go and after a few pratice runs they have been able to run high 11's bone stock. This past friday a guy ran a 11.6 with DR's and a crappy 60 foot. He beat a zl1 twice badly...lol

Ill be at the track soon enough but thats what they are running if you have some sense of what you are doing

Running a car with nearly 600 RWHP at a drag strip on street tires is going to be extremely frustrating with little chance of any consistancy. DRs are a must at minimum here. You could be lucky and cut a high 11 number on street tires and blow off the rubber the next run and be handed a 13 something slip. Street tires are virtually useless with this kind of power unless you are a guy going to the track once looking to run it out in a controlled enviornment.

I'm aware of what they "should" run, but I want to see actual owners at specific tracks with timeslips. ZR1s have run 11.1 on their OEM rubber (even Motor Trend got 11.2 and they don't use drag radials or slicks or VHT for that matter). One of the mainstream mags got 11.6 for the 2013 GT500 without sticky tires.....So, I'm just wanting to know what a real world GT500 runs on OEM tires and DRs. Yes, I'm wanting to see what it does with a good driver, the guy who lives at the strip and knows what he is doing.

slicks are different from DR's....so far ive seen a few owners go and after a few pratice runs they have been able to run high 11's bone stock. This past friday a guy ran a 11.6 with DR's and a crappy 60 foot. He beat a zl1 twice badly...lol

Ill be at the track soon enough but thats what they are running if you have some sense of what you are doing

I gotcha, I was wondering on slicks what people would run. I'll wait for folks to post up here. Very awesome car regardless of all of this.

Forget ET if you insist on street tire 1/4 mile results. ET with little or no traction is a very poor barometer as ET is hugely dependent on the dreaded 60 ft split which is all about traction. MPH is a far better indicator of street power, etc. A car that traps @ 126 MPH is wildly more powerfull and fun to drive than one that traps at say 116 MPH. Those 2 vehicles could however have nearly identical ETs due to differential rates of traction. There are many casual performance enthusiasts who have no conception of this fact.

Forget ET if you insist on street tire 1/4 mile results. ET with little or no traction is a very poor barometer as ET is hugely dependent on the dreaded 60 ft split which is all about traction. MPH is a far better indicator of street power, etc. A car that traps @ 126 MPH is wildly more powerfull and fun to drive than one that traps at say 116 MPH. Those 2 vehicles could however have nearly identical ETs due to differential rates of traction. There are many casual performance enthusiasts who have no conception of this fact.

Agreed.

Guys. I know launching on OEM tires is tough. I'm a drag strip guy. My racing resume is a mile long, but I don't want this to look like a "big weiner" contest.... The fact is, there are a lot of us out here who like to know what different cars can do on their OEM rubber, and then on DRs. I *KNOW* the ZR1 has run 10.8s on its original rubber (bless you Ranger). My bone stock (with Arrow Racing engine rebuild) Viper GTS has done 11.78 on its OEM rubber with me at the stick. Motor Trend claims the GT500 has run 11.6 ON EOM RUBBER. Its an apples to apples thing. If you don't care, fine. I understand. But, I would like to know, and I am not alone. Yes, when I goto the track (road racing OR drag strip), I have a lot of different rubber mounted and don't use OEM tires. Why? That shit gets old! OEM tires are no fun at the drag strip on ANY car, but I still want to know what numbers they put down.

Yes, in a typical street car, a rough gage is that .1 change in 60 foot equals .2 change on the big end. Typical street car, 100 pounds equals .1 ET. MPH displays a cars power, 60 foot displays its ability to hook. 10 degrees air temp is worth .1 ET. I've got hand written charts for each of my cars where I use my portable weather station to track how humidity and pressure and air temp change my ET, for bracket racing.

While you make a very good point which I agree with, the last time I raced at the track, the guy that got there first won, not the fastest trap speed!

While you make a very good point which I agree with, the last time I raced at the track, the guy that got there first won, not the fastest trap speed!

springer I think the point he was trying to make is no matter who wins the race the one that crosses the line with a faster trap speed not

crosses first has the more power...

springer I think the point he was trying to make is no matter who wins the race the one that crosses the line with a faster trap speed not

crosses first has the more power...

Precisely, you understand the concept. Trap speed tells the tale. The car with the higher trap speed wins a roll race every time and is more fun to drive as it generally has a much better torque curve. You will never, ever have drag strip traction on the street. They don't prep and VHT intersections.

Holy mother. 11.61 on a hot night. Couldn't tell for sure, is he on OEM rubber? From watching the way the guys did their burnouts, and how they staged, the Mustang guy is clearly more experienced on the drag strip. The ZL1 is obviously faster than 12.8, so I will hold off on that. However, I have no doubt the GT500 is MUCH faster on the drag strip than the ZL1. Thank you for posting that.

Wow guys....I still can't believe we are living thru this. Did you see how gorgeous both those cars were in that video? I know I'm among Mustang guys, but I'm still willing to say that BOTH the GT500 and the ZL1 were stunning to see together out there in the real world. Such awesome, awesome cars. Chevy gave it a hell of a try, but they never imagined that Ford would go full on nuclear with the 2013. I actually feel bad for them! Not enough to buy their car, but I still feel bad! LOL! Boss 302, Z06, ZL1, GT500, ZR1, hell the 5.0 GT! Its good to be a car guy......

Holy mother. 11.61 on a hot night. Couldn't tell for sure, is he on OEM rubber? From watching the way the guys did their burnouts, and how they staged, the Mustang guy is clearly more experienced on the drag strip. The ZL1 is obviously faster than 12.8, so I will hold off on that. However, I have no doubt the GT500 is MUCH faster on the drag strip than the ZL1. Thank you for posting that.

Wow guys....I still can't believe we are living thru this. Did you see how gorgeous both those cars were in that video? I know I'm among Mustang guys, but I'm still willing to say that BOTH the GT500 and the ZL1 were stunning to see together out there in the real world. Such awesome, awesome cars. Chevy gave it a hell of a try, but they never imagined that Ford would go full on nuclear with the 2013. I actually feel bad for them! Not enough to buy their car, but I still feel bad! LOL! Boss 302, Z06, ZL1, GT500, ZR1, hell the 5.0 GT! Its good to be a car guy......

You nailed it. This era is muscle car Nirvana. 11.6 1/4 mile of the assembly line, Seriously. This is nuts and the best of times for sure. The mid 12s that the base GTs run would absolutely destroy the big block, bad ass stuff from the 60s! This is great.

You nailed it. This era is muscle car Nirvana. 11.6 1/4 mile of the assembly line, Seriously. This is nuts and the best of times for sure. The mid 12s that the base GTs run would absolutely destroy the big block, bad ass stuff from the 60s! This is great.

I agree this is Nirvana - what is really exciting is - What is next?

I agree this is Nirvana - what is really exciting is - What is next?

So true and a great point looking forward. I thought we had pretty much topped out on the Mustang scale with the 03/04 Terminators. Wow' was I ever wrong. I sure hope that Ford is able to maintain the 5.8L with forced induction on the premium level Mustangs going forward. Simply amazing to see production line cars that can trap mid to high 120s off the showroom floor!

Hey guys, That is my red 2013 in the video. It was bone stock with 20" DR. still only cut a 1.94 60 do to tire spin but the ZL1 had nothing for me. After that race i put a intake , throttle body and a tune and went 11.3@127 with a 1.94 60ft. All these runs where done almost back to back do to how the track guys had it set up. Better times to come on a cool night. By the way it was 95 degrees out and the DA was 2300ft.

Without a dought..it's a great era for car lovers.

Hey guys, That is my red 2013 in the video. It was bone stock with 20" DR. still only cut a 1.94 60 do to tire spin but the ZL1 had nothing for me. After that race i put a intake , throttle body and a tune and went 11.3@127 with a 1.94 60ft. All these runs where done almost back to back do to how the track guys had it set up. Better times to come on a cool night. By the way it was 95 degrees out and the DA was 2300ft.

Were you using Launch Control or any of the electronics and what were your suspension settings? I am glad you piped up here wanted to ask you a few things - nice racing BTW.

Looking at your credentials - bet you were not using any of the electronics - this was all talent and no nannies.

B)

I did use launch control on the first pass but used the old fashion way the second pass wich worked better for me. I had suspension in normal mode and all traction control and advance track off for the second pass. It might just be what i am use to but it responded better not using launch control with mods to.

Beautiful car and nice driving. Those zl1s don't stand a chance. I hope you don't mind me posting the video.

I did use launch control on the first pass but used the old fashion way the second pass wich worked better for me. I had suspension in normal mode and all traction control and advance track off for the second pass. It might just be what i am use to but it responded better not using launch control with mods to.

Did you use the rev control mode (2-step)?

Archived