TEAM SHELBY FORUM

MRT High Flow Catted H Pipe question

aclass

Anybody out there change this item without modifying anything else on the exhaust? I'd like to know just how much more noise the MRT catted H will add? Can anybody comment on a scale from 0-10 how much difference it made in the exhaust noise and what effect it made in the cabin??

I have a 2010 and I recently installed MRT's h-pipe with the high flow cats. Prior to this install, my exhaust system was almost stock except that I installed FRPP stinger mufflers (M-5230-MSVTL) a couple years ago. Anyway, the h-pipe does give me a little more rumble in the cabin. Once the engine rpms exceed 2,500-3,000, then the sound within the cabin is most noticeable, but to me, it is the way a muscle car should sound.

For sure it is a little louder outside the cabin too, but nothing offensive. I am judging this with the engine warmed up and idling in neutral, with me outside behind the car listening, it is how a muscle car should sound.

But, I also went from a stock x-pipe to the h-pipe. I think your car already has an h-pipe, so I would guess you will not have as much of an increase in exhaust sound as what I experienced.

So, using your rating scale for my case, if stock was a 0, then with the stinger mufflers I went to a 2 and then the h-pipe, I probably went to a 4 compared to stock.

Regards,

--KLG--

Nope, no tune needed, no warning lights or error codes were set. I will add that not too long after I did the h-pipe swap, I did go with the VMP 2.59" pulley and tune. But prior to that, the car ran fine with the h-pipe and sounded pretty good too.

Just finished installing my MRT Max Flow Catted H. Here is a simple breakdown.

Remove/Install H-Pipes -- 1 hour

Unplug/Plug passenger side O2 sensor-- 2 hours, Literally!! Heck it may have been even longer....

Added some HVAC insulation under the 4 aluminum heat shields---30 minutes. Hopefully this will insulate the cabin from the exhaust heat a bit more.

The results, a bloody left hand on both sides, and a nice sounding exhaust.

I ended up removing the battery, battery pan, removed a bolt on a clamp for the AC line, and removed the 1/2 tubing ferrel that goes from the exhaust manifold up to the by-pass valve on the s/c in order to get my fat hand back in the hole and reach the 02 plug. And then it's wiggle room only with one fat hand. Quite frankly, it was pure luck getting the two halves back together with one hand in the tight space.

On a more important note, my tail pipes do not fit up to the MRT H pipe using the stock clamps. The H-Pipe diameter is much smaller than the stock pipes so when I slide then clamps up over the MRT pipe, that dont even touch it when you tighten the bolts. There were no supplied clamps from MRT. No way I can live with this since my tail pipes and mufflers are literally moving around freely.

I've contacted the supplier that I purchased it from so I'm hoping that I didnt do something wrong or there was something missing in the package.

I'm actually quite surprised that the noise is as subdued as it is since the stock cats are probably twice the size of the MRT.

Wow, sounds like that 02 sensor was quite a chore. I lucked out on my 2010 and I could reach it from below without a lot of difficultly. When I re-installed it, I did it with the h-pipe just fitting loosely onto the manifold so I could move things around as needed, but I did everything from below. Anyway, sounds like you got it.

The problem you have with the different diameter of the MRT h-pipe and your stock pipes is odd. I believe your car uses a 2-3/4" diameter exhaust. Mine uses 2-1/2" and my stock clamps fit perfectly on the new h-pipe. I wonder if you were shipped you the wrong h-pipe? MRT makes two different versions: #93a600 for 2007-2010 models and #93P600 for 2011-2012 models.

You're exactly right KLG, spoke with the vendor today and fortunately they're sending me the correct fit pipe. Bad thing is, I have to fight the 02 plug again. They must have really hidden this thing on the 12's cause there was no way to reach it from the bottom, even with the aluminum heat shields removed. Furthermore, the machined edges on the heads will slice your skin like a razor.

Thanks for your help.

You're exactly right KLG, spoke with the vendor today and fortunately they're sending me the correct fit pipe. Bad thing is, I have to fight the 02 plug again. They must have really hidden this thing on the 12's cause there was no way to reach it from the bottom, even with the aluminum heat shields removed. Furthermore, the machined edges on the heads will slice your skin like a razor.

Thanks for your help.

I was planning on getting this set-up as well, but there has not been a lot of feedback available... I know that going from an X-pipe to and H-pipe changes the sound. I installed the PHRP H on my '08 GT500 and the exhaust tone become more deeper and throatier, but going from and H to an H... wasn't sure if it'd be as dramatic.

You mentioned thay you was surprised that the sound was subdued. Can you please elaborate? Thanks

Steeltown, I realize that "sound" is relative and different to everyone but the change from the stock H-pipe to this MRT max flow didnt net much sound in terms of idle and normal acceleration but when you floor it, there is more of that muscle car blast. Before the H-pipe, I could hear the s/c whine pretty good and now it's nearly drown out.

I have Borla S-type axle back and hate the blubber at idle. I was hoping this H-pipe would cure it somewhat but it didnt. My car is a daily driver so as much as I'd love to have a loud exhuast note at times, it just isnt practical so this setup is a very nice compromise. It's noisy when you want it, and not when you dont.

hope this helps.

Steeltown, I realize that "sound" is relative and different to everyone but the change from the stock H-pipe to this MRT max flow didnt net much sound in terms of idle and normal acceleration but when you floor it, there is more of that muscle car blast. Before the H-pipe, I could hear the s/c whine pretty good and now it's nearly drown out.

I have Borla S-type axle back and hate the blubber at idle. I was hoping this H-pipe would cure it somewhat but it didnt. My car is a daily driver so as much as I'd love to have a loud exhuast note at times, it just isnt practical so this setup is a very nice compromise. It's noisy when you want it, and not when you dont.

hope this helps.

Thanks! Good summary. I have the S-types as well, but would like a little more volume. Sounds like these might work. Would you describe the sound as deeper, or just louder? I assume no drone?

Also, I have no burble w/mine at idle, only on deceleration, which I like. Maybe tuning can even that out for you... Thanks again.

One last question... Can you install this system with just car ramps, or did you need access to a lift? Not sure how much ground clearance you need... Thanks

I pulled the X-pipe out of my '10 on 4 ramps. No, excuse me. On 4 jack stands.

Phill

One last question... Can you install this system with just car ramps, or did you need access to a lift? Not sure how much ground clearance you need... Thanks

Steeltown, Had the car on cinderblocks, it took nearly as long to get the car on the blocks as it did to change the pipe, minus fighting the 02 plug of course. Also, no drone! probably about the same deep tone just a bit louder at idle and normal acceleration. But quite a bit louder at WOT. The car does "pop & crack" more when downshifting which I kinda like. The "blubber" I'm speaking of is at idle, I really think it's the Borla's couple behind the 5.4. While the car is idling the sounds kinda blub-blub-blub-etc.... you get the picture. It's not awful, I'm just not a big fan.

• 1 month later...

An update on the MRT High flow catted H.

after about a 1K miles of driving on a car with a pulley and tune. The passenger side cat is toast!

I've been getting a P0430 for about 2 weeks that became increasingly more often and finally as soon as I would clear it. Started noticing a rattle this past week upon starting the car each morning. Pulled the pipe off yesterday and it sounds like rocks rolling around in the passenger side cat.

I'm interested to hear what MRT has to say.

Wow, very disappointing to hear.

I emailed them awhile back asking about the cats since I was wanting to run this Hpipe:

thank you for your note and your question. The cats we use are constructed especially for MRT....there isnt a horse power limit on the cats. Catalyst life is almost completely dependent on the tune and fuel. If the tune is too rich or too lean catalyst damage will occur, if leaded fuel (some race gas still has lead in it) is used, catalyst damage will occur. We had high performance and supercharged applications in mind when we selected the catalyst construction used on MRT h-pipes. I hope this helps, please feel free to contact us at (734) 455-5807 if you have any further questions.

Save your money MJN. The tuner is a reputable tuner and he is clear about cat protection being on with his tunes. MRT has a sub standard part for these cars.

Who is the tuner?

Both of the "well known" tuners here turn the COT off by default on their tunes and that's what will kill your CAT. Not too many tuners leave the COT on because they're trying to eek out the max advertised HP rather than leave the protections (exh. valves and Cats) on.

Phill

I've spoken to someone about hi flow cats and I was told they are all basically garbage so, this is not surprising that they went. Probably ambit early than I would expect but, they weren't going to last forever anyway, I'm going cat less and call it a day. Less back pressure anyway,,,,

Archived