TEAM SHELBY FORUM

AIR intake

Is it ok to drive my 2012 Super Snake when it rains,can water seep thru and damage my engine ??

Yeah, you're fine.

I have a '10 GT500 with a big vent across the top of the radiator. I got caught in a nasty rain storm at a show in Denver last year. My biggest worry was my air filter element but I have a FRPP Whipple 2.9 and I think the filter is oiled (cotton), not dry (paper). Your Super Snake has the two vents at the rear of the hood so you're even safer than me.

Other than water spots under the hood, no harm no foul. And I clean under my hood at each wash anyway so no biggie on the water spots.

Phill

Yeah, you're fine.

I have a '10 GT500 with a big vent across the top of the radiator. I got caught in a nasty rain storm at a show in Denver last year. My biggest worry was my air filter element but I have a FRPP Whipple 2.9 and I think the filter is oiled (cotton), not dry (paper). Your Super Snake has the two vents at the rear of the hood so you're even safer than me.

Other than water spots under the hood, no harm no foul. And I clean under my hood at each wash anyway so no biggie on the water spots.

Phill

Thanks Phill !!

I wonder if anyone actually has a '10 or up hood with the holes punched out of the front like Dbackg demonstrated on his Youtube video?

Would love to know if they use the same template because i'm interested in doing this to mine but need to know where the drill points are. I have a good plan so there's no way I can damage the other side of hood while drilling the holes, but placement is key and wouldn't want it to look funny...maybe a template from the older 07-09 hoods would still work on the newer ones?

Yeah, you're fine.

Phill

What concerns me about the functional Super Snake hood is that "all" water that is forced (or entering) through the frontal hood opening is dropped over the top of the CAI filter. With the engine running and constant vacuum at that air filter, will water get sucked in? I would think so?

R

My 2012 SS hood is not functional,no hood opening !!!

Ok, if the fresh air enters the CAI next to the radiator (2010-up), there may not be an issue. You should be in good shape. I would use compressed air to blow off the water that enters through the heat extractors as quick as possible, the natural aluminum finishes will begin to oxidize and any bare.machined unprotected metal surfaces will begin to rust, once exposed to water.

Maybe even a WD40 follow-up........

R

Archived