TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2013 GT500 CF Drive Shaft has arrived!

Hooper T

It's here, hope to put it on Friday.

It hardly weighs anything!

Not sure if it will fit, SVT could not tell me, the good news is if if doesn't, it can be returned.

7c8ae4e9.jpg

85fb5eea.jpg

6fd42fe1.jpg

9002b37c.jpg

3a845066.jpg

6780634e.jpg

fd5c8567.jpg

51e04d22.jpg

614e6285.jpg

d4bd5709.jpg

1e2e3be2.jpg

1415e239.jpg

11863ea3.jpg

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes it Bavarian, but won't know until tomorrow if it's compatible.

Unless you have a 6-hole CV Joint flange on your transmission vs. the stock 4-bolt flat flange, it's not.

Phill

Hooper, I've been itching to do this one as well for some time. Yet I've been wary of the obstacles that may make it more challenging than it should have been.

The non-plunging CV joint at the axle end should slip into the '07-'12 pinion flange (may need '13 length bolts though).

As Phill intimated, the trouble lies at the front. Ford had Tremec change the output shaft on the '13 6060 to a higher spline count (40 splines vs only 28 for '07-'12 GT500's). They also changed the flange on the output shaft as well. Note the areas I have highlighted in pink.

2012vs2013TremectranscomparisonHIGHLIGHTED.jpg?t=1334519087

Rear interface for 2013...

z2012-06-24_13-05-57_840_1024x577.jpg?t=1342407598

Front...

z2012-06-24_13-06-11_208_1024x577.jpg?t=1342407601

Here's a shot of Justin mounting his PST CF shaft and how it mates with the '07-'12 flange at the transmission.

zpstdsfront.jpg?t=1342409876

I'm interested to hear your comments. And as much as I wanted the OEM piece as well, I'm also considering this one...

http://www.driveshaf...learance-issues

The tech on it...

http://driveshaftsho...com/blog/?p=546

Let us know what you end up doing - please!

Tob

If one would come with double CV joints (like the 13' OEM) that would be the one...

You would have to change the transmission output flange to accept a CV joint. The current one is flat and a CV requires a concave or hollow mounting flange.

Someone would have to make a flange that replaces the OE flange. Which *could* be done. I'm wondering how Ford got around the DS needing to be shorter/longer on rear axle compression/flexion? Does it have a slip joint on it?

EDIT: I see a bellows on the Trans end so apparently, it does have a slip joint on it.

Phill

You would have to change the transmission output flange to accept a CV joint. The current one is flat and a CV requires a concave or hollow mounting flange.

Someone would have to make a flange that replaces the OE flange. Which *could* be done.

Phill

I've been prodding FRPP to get moving and get to work on a flange (transmission output shaft end) that would allow this shaft to be a bolt-in.

I had high hopes when my good friend George snuck some undercar shots at the recent NYIAS. What you see is not what ended up in production...

_NYIASprototypenonproductionGT500frontdriveshaft.jpg?t=1342487105

Looks like Ford simply removed the ring that circumnavigates the flange and bolted the shaft up to it. The next photo shows the flange w/o the ring...

_DSC07873.jpg?t=1342487396

And here's (essentially - its from Rob's car) a '07-'12 Tremec 6060, ring in place on the flange/shaft...

Trannyoriginal047.jpg?t=1312120640

And another clear shot of the area...

_08Tremec6060.jpg?t=1342487922

This is a weak point on 'severe use' Ford 6060's. Ford no doubt found this out when testing for their CJ program. Breakage was occurring at the end of the output shaft. Here's a shot of a '07-'12 6060 (that is linked to an aftermarket CF shaft) that snapped...

MUSTANG103401.jpg

If you look closely at the end of the output shaft in the next photo, you'll see how little spline there is on '07-'12 shafts as well as the number of OD changes the shaft makes within a rather short distance. This is the shaft that Ford upgraded on the '13 and the reason why the flange from a '07-'12 doesn't slip right on (although the photo depicts the older 6060 transmission family)...

_6060-stockshaft.jpg?t=1342488366

I've been prodding FRPP to get moving and get to work on a flange (transmission output shaft end) that would allow this shaft to be a bolt-in.

This is a weak point on 'severe use' Ford 6060's. Ford no doubt found this out when testing for their CJ program. Breakage was occurring at the end of the output shaft. Here's a shot of a '07-'12 6060 (that is linked to an aftermarket CF shaft) that snapped...

Does this mean the CJ has another output shaft?

Nope. But note how the '12 CJ came equipped...

2012 Cobra Jet Content:

New for 2012MY:

o Revised 5.4L supercharged engine – different specifications/rating than 2008/2010 model

o Aluminum engine block

o Double keyed crankshaft snout

o Manley H-beam rods

o Improved low-drag racing brakes – Strange Engineering

o Improved rear suspension w/revised rear upper control arm and lower control arm mounts

o Revised and optimized spring rates front and rear

o New design black anodized Cobra Jet wheels - Weld Racing

o Goodyear tires – all new DR compound – Cobra Jet branded

o Brake pedal 2-step switch (micro)

o Optional colors – Race Red' date=' Grabber Blue, and Winner White – no additional charge

Drivetrain:

o 430hp 5.4L DOHC supercharged engine (aluminum block)

o 2.3L TVS Supercharger with twin 65mm dual bore throttle body

o 3-Speed C4 Auto Race Transmission – Joel's on Joy

o 9" rear axle w/4.29:1 Axle Ratio – Strange Engineering

And take a look at the '13 CJ drivetrain...

_________m5lp_1207_022_coyote_5_0_engine_.jpg?t=1342562052

Consistency is no doubt the driving force between the shift to the hydraulic transmission vs the stick. Tremec 6060's going down doesn't help either...

Do some quick research and you'll find output shaft failures on the 6060's used in Challenger's as well as Camaro's. The problem needed to be addressed across the board.

2f370a37.jpg

Finally got the car up on my neighbourhood hoist, had to fix a heat shield and I took a closer look at the stock DS and Flange.

03517838.jpg

22e0e644-1.jpg

^^^^

Here's my '08

e53dea01.jpg

^^^^

'13

Took a few measurement and the new 1 Piece CF shaft is a bit shorter than the Stock 2 Piece but that is to accommodate the new output flange increased size.

614e6285.jpg?t=1341981102

08bced67.jpg

This shaft should retrofit with a few more bits and pieces that have been ordered.

33d40913.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

GOOD

thx Tob!

You probably know that there have been some issues with aftermarket CF driveshafts...So the OEM CF driveshaft upgrade might very well be the only safe one!

Yeah, I was gonna say: I hope you have better luck with a OE CF 1-pc than I'm having with my PST.

UPS just picked it up yesterday, after 4 months of back & forth BS with VMP/PST. VMP has been helpful (so far) but PST has been a total PITA.

I'll post the whole story when it's complete...When (IF) I have a new replacement driveshaft in my hands and in my car.

In the meantime, I'd advise against buying a PST until we find out what the resolution is. IF it's resolved.

Phill

Yeah, I was gonna say: I hope you have better luck with a OE CF 1-pc than I'm having with my PST.

UPS just picked it up yesterday, after 4 months of back & forth BS with VMP/PST. VMP has been helpful (so far) but PST has been a total PITA.

I'll post the whole story when it's complete...When (IF) I have a new replacement driveshaft in my hands and in my car.

In the meantime, I'd advise against buying a PST until we find out what the resolution is. IF it's resolved.

Phill

I'm guessing the adapter piece might be causing issues? I have been running a PST carbon on my 03 Cobra for awhile and so far so good. Weary of spending the $$ on the GT500 version however until the best solution is found.

I think it is great that there are small business pioneers out there willing to risk developing new and exciting products with their own hard earned money. Enthusiasts and the aftermarket are what seem to be driving a lot of the changes Ford has made as of late to our beloved Mustangs.

I've noticed the progression of S197 products over the years and how they continually improve. Case in point, the advent of the one piece shaft in the S197 in both steel and aluminum and carbon fiber. It looks like the aftermarket has gotten much better in terms of quality and choice.

That said, I'm a huge supporter of factory efforts be they SVT or FRPP. Nobody has the resources they have. So when it comes to delivering on the subject at hand, a carbon fiber driveshaft, I defer to their expertise. However, I am a bit upset that FRPP has failed to deliver - so far. I know they have some huge hurdles to surpass be they:

- Legal....liability is always a major consideration. I won't pontificate on the potential issues here but rest assured it is a consideration.

- Ford Parts and Service....they have a beef with FRPP selling certain items at a 'discount' and have had an impact on the release and price that sometimes runs contrary to the wishes of the enthusiast community.

- Limited funding...FRPP has a budget and as such has to make the choices it feels best serves their interests as well as that of their potential customers. They just can't deliver everything at once.

That said, I expect them to get it done. To keep pushing and to continually strive to achieve that which they didn't previously. As such, there are now six years worth of GT500's that could benefit from a factory/FRPP effort to bring a '13 retrofit kit to the market. Goddu (George, Manager of the Ford Racing Performance Group) this effort, or lack thereof, lies squarely with you. This isn't the Tanner Faust/Ken block, social media, Focus/Fiesta, going green, group. But rather a contingent that has patiently waited for the effort you manage to bring leather Recaro's, 2013 GT500 brakes/struts/shocks/driveshaft, real factory wheels that allow a 305/315 out back, and more, to the market. The business case is there. Of that I have no doubt. The obstacles, well that is your job to make it past them so that the Group can continue to turn a profit while simultaneously giving the people what they want.

The 2013 FRPP catalog is out. We have been waiting since 2006 for a performance driveshaft offering for the GT500 models from the mothership. The factory now has a fully developed carbon fiber production piece at their disposal. Those that have enthusiastically supported FRPP over the years should be given consideration with respect to a part that fulfills that desire.

I'm guessing the adapter piece might be causing issues?

Nope. The problem was on the other end.

The aluminum U-joint yoke broke loose from the carbon fiber tube and was spinning inside of the CF shaft.

It felt like a failed clutch in that the engine would rev/free-wind when I got into the powerband.

I originally thought it WAS a clutch. I put a witness mark across both ends then got it to 'slip' while on stands with the E-brake set. The marks moved (substantially) and confirmed my suspicion.

It happened on a 1-2 "short shift" (but under power), on the street (not on a sticky dragstrip launch pad) on OEM/Street tires. That's what concerns me. If it was under a high stress circumstance I might be less inclined to be worried.

I shifted it from 1st to 2nd and got a LOUD "smack". And when I say loud, I mean LOUD. After that the engine would rev when I hit boost or gave it a lot of throttle. And it continually got worse. I also noted a "squeek-CLUNK" going from forward to reverse or reverse to forward (the yoke slipping one way, than the other way).

PST was trying to blame me because I moved my rear end back in the car 1/2 inch...to compensate for the driveshaft that was 1/2" too long that Justin said I needed. He said they were seeming them at 51-1/2" but when I got it, it wouldn't go between the flanges (it was too long). I talked to PST and they said they were seeing them at 50" which is 1/2" shorter than what I had and what I should have had in the first place. I just moved my axle back (w/Roush adjustable UCA/LCA's) 1/2" in the chassis to allow the shaft to be used without sending it to PST and having it shortened for $200.oo. PST finally realized why I moved my axle and just NOW (after 4 months) asked me to ship it back to them (at their expense).

I remains to be seen what I'll get back. I shall report in full if/when I do.

Phill

Archived