TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Wax and detailing

Nothing against any of the products mentioned, but I went a little different route. Had the hood and front panels clear bra'd (can't stand rock chips) and Opti-Coat put on the rest of the car, including wheels. So far very happy. Will see how long the coating holds up.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nothing against any of the products mentioned, but I went a little different route. Had the hood and front panels clear bra'd (can't stand rock chips) and Opti-Coat put on the rest of the car, including wheels. So far very happy. Will see how long the coating holds up.

You should be very happy with the durability of opti-coat

All I can say is that if you give LG a chance you will be a customer for life. Make sure you use the pre-cleaner before you put on the first coat. It is easy to use and you only need to use it once. jerseygator is exactly correct. The pre-cleaner sets up the finish to bond with the LG. Subsequent applications then build up on the first. After about 10 coats it looks like you have an extra coat of clear on the car. Something else to consider. I contacted LG by phone to get some more information to answer members questions on this and other forums. I ended up talking with the President and Chief Scientist (Dr John Heywang). One of the major advantages of LG he told me about was that it LOVES the heat. Every other polish in the world (wax, silicones, polymers) break down in the sun and the heat. LG cures and gets harder in the heat. I wish I could show you all my 2001 Ram (90K miles) with over 60 coats. Looks like a show truck. Not a stone chip on the front end. What else can I say. Use whatever you want.

hmm. i'm still on the fence. thanks for all the info, though, i appreciate your fervor for this product but you know how hard it is to break an old habit or leave an old stand by!

I've tried all kinds of products over the years and I agree with the statement that PREP is the most important part of your cars finish...This is what I've

settled on...Wolfgang polish..topped off with any of the good name sealers..I put two coats of Meguiars Ultimate Syn Wax then top that off with two coats

of Pinnacle Souveran Paste wax...with that I seem to get the best of both the glassy shine from the Meg's Syn wax and the deep Wet look of the Pinnacle

Souveran...like I say over the years this combo seems to work awesome it makes the red paint look deep and wet looking.

hmm. i'm still on the fence. thanks for all the info, though, i appreciate your fervor for this product but you know how hard it is to break an old habit or leave an old stand by!

Well thats a good thing, LG pre-cleaner more than likely will not remove the swirls you originally posted about. http://www.autogeek.net/liqglasprec.html

From what I have read it is hand applied and may reduce light marring which is not the same as swirls. You need to make the choice as to what products your comfortable with. Do yourself a favor and do some research on some detailing forums, and make your decision. I think all of the products mentioned do their intended purpose. But you said you needed a swirl remover.. watch some of these to see how to remove swirls. Hope this helps..

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/24175-list-all-autogeek-show-car-garage-videos.html

I've tried all kinds of products over the years and I agree with the statement that PREP is the most important part of your cars finish...This is what I've

settled on...Wolfgang polish..topped off with any of the good name sealers..I put two coats of Meguiars Ultimate Syn Wax then top that off with two coats

of Pinnacle Souveran Paste wax...with that I seem to get the best of both the glassy shine from the Meg's Syn wax and the deep Wet look of the Pinnacle

Have you tried Wolfgang Fuzion? I bought a sample jar and wasn't all that impressed, just wondering your thoughts. Seemed like a good idea to blend sealants with a caranuba, but the result is more of a sealant glare on top of the paint rather than the usual depth of a caranuba. Ironically I always layer a caranuba (pinnical souveran) over a sealant (CG blacklight).

Souveran...like I say over the years this combo seems to work awesome it makes the red paint look deep and wet looking.

Thank you all for your great sugesstions for turning on the shine. I think the first step is to buy a good buffer. Got any suggestions.

Buy this and you can and will thank me later. Take some before and after pictures, and tell us about your results :-)

http://www.autogeek.net/menzerna-flex-xc3401-ceramic-show-car-kit.html

No Ecr I've never tried the Fusion...I have tried many top sealers and I find the Meg's is just as good as any...the Carnuba's like you have not

found anything that out does the PS in that deep wet look...what is the CG Blacklight you're refering to ?...The Wolfgang that I'm using is the

3.0 swirl remover then the Wolfgang 3.0 finishing glaze..then my waxes.

Wow, that looks pretty nice.

I posted the before and after on the previous page of a black car detail.

I used these Adams products. And they provide instructional videos and a great forum for support. You should check it out.

http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-740-adams-complete-flex-xc-3401-vrg-polisher-kit.aspx

I posted the before and after on the previous page of a black car detail.

I used these Adams products. And they provide instructional videos and a great forum for support. You should check it out.

http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-740-adams-complete-flex-xc-3401-vrg-polisher-kit.aspx

Thats a real nice bundle. I havent used Adams products but everything I have heard about them has been very good. Might tr. Some of their stuff once I use up what I have.

Chemical guys blacklight.

http://www.chemicalguys.com/BEST_WAX_FOR_BLACK_CARS_CAR_WAX_BLACK_p/gap_619_16.htm

They dont say it but I also consider it somewhat of a gloss enhancing sealant/glaze. Normally I'm not into glazes, but at the same time with a critical eye I have never seen a car with a perfect finish. Maybe a flawless panel or two but never an entire car. I do 2 coats of blacklight then hand apply pinnical souveran. I also agree with you I have never used a LSP better than pinnical that depth and shine is un-real. I always have others at shows ask me what process and what I use.

Chemical guys blacklight.

http://www.chemicalg.../gap_619_16.htm

They dont say it but I also consider it somewhat of a gloss enhancing sealant/glaze. Normally I'm not into glazes, but at the same time with a critical eye I have never seen a car with a perfect finish. Maybe a flawless panel or two but never an entire car. I do 2 coats of blacklight then hand apply pinnical souveran. I also agree with you I have never used a LSP better than pinnical that depth and shine is un-real. I always have others at shows ask me what process and what I use.

Sounds like great stuff E...what have you found comparing it to other products you have used ?

Sounds like great stuff E...what have you found comparing it to other products you have used ?

I haven't used anything else like it. It cleans will correct light marring and offers some sealant. Some use it as a AIO then top with Hybrid V7 detail sealant. I used both together and wasn't wild about the results. It gave the finish a candied wet look on the surface, which is what you would expect from sealants.

I haven't used anything else like it. It cleans will correct light marring and offers some sealant. Some use it as a AIO then top with Hybrid V7 detail sealant. I used both together and wasn't wild about the results. It gave the finish a candied wet look on the surface, which is what you would expect from sealants.

Gotcha...have you tried the Blacfire with the hybrid V7 then topped off with PS...I'm like you not high on the candied look but topped off with PS

it may make that paint pop..either way I may give that Blacfire a try..thanks for the info.

Gotcha...have you tried the Blacfire with the hybrid V7 then topped off with PS...I'm like you not high on the candied look but topped off with PS

it may make that paint pop..either way I may give that Blacfire a try..thanks for the info.

If you want send me a package with return postal and I will send you enough to do a vehicle. I have enough for years. A little goes a long way. PM me if interested.

Yes I have used Souveran over top to give depth. Took a couple applications to take the glare down and add depth. Basically as the souveran flashes over it more than likely removed some of the V7. I use the v7 on my daily driver, tool cabinets, tractor, engine compartment stuff like that. It good to know you are adding a wipe on wipe off, sealant.

If you want send me a package with return postal and I will send you enough to do a vehicle. I have enough for years. A little goes a long way. PM me if interested.

Yes I have used Souveran over top to give depth. Took a couple applications to take the glare down and add depth. Basically as the souveran flashes over it more than likely removed some of the V7. I use the v7 on my daily driver, tool cabinets, tractor, engine compartment stuff like that. It good to know you are adding a wipe on wipe off, sealant.

Thats a very kind offer E thanks bud...to only problem I'm in Canada and everytime I order across the border I get screwed

they hold it in customs forever when it don't come from a company...I will order some anyway because it sounds great and I'm all for trying

some other ideas...thanks again E...I'll keep you up on my results...I'm leaving for California then Vegas in a week so I'll order it when

I get back..unless I can get it somewhere in Cali or Vegas would be nice.

Thats a real nice bundle. I havent used Adams products but everything I have heard about them has been very good. Might tr. Some of their stuff once I use up what I have.

And the customer service is fantastic!!

I'm good freinds with the group and can get a 10% discount for mustang buds. Let me know if you order... :salute:

What a great gesture! I love this place... :rockon:

And the customer service is fantastic!!

I'm good freinds with the group and can get a 10% discount for mustang buds. Let me know if you order... :salute:

I will, unfortunately with the majority if products once you correct the finish you really dont use them much afterwards.

What's you favorite product, particularly in waxes. I wax often mostly for fun and I may want to try something different.

I will, unfortunately with the majority if products once you correct the finish you really dont use them much afterwards.

What's you favorite product, particularly in waxes. I wax often mostly for fun and I may want to try something different.

You sound so much like me. I wax for fun too. And my favorite is Adams Americana. It's a carnauba wax and it has a eucalyptus scent. Eucalyptus is a very relaxing aroma. Very easy on and off.

my new choice for all my cars/trucks.......Collinite #845 Insulator Wax, lousy marketing but great wax. Very durable, easy on/off, great shine, and good price*_*

Most durable wax I owe.. maybe the most durable made. Not the most for bringing out showroom shine but water beads for months. Next time you wax pull your rims wax inner wheel wheels and rims. Perfectly sheds brake dust and everything underneath with paint on it protected.

• 2 weeks later...

Which waxes do not leave those crapy white spots on the black trim.

I think all of them will leave white spots. You can prevent this from happening by using Liquid Glass Protectant on the black trim before polishing. NOTHING will stick to the trim if you do this. If you get a little polish on the trim, just wipe it off with a soft cloth. The protectant will last about 3 months. Here is where you can get the protectant (I also recommend Liquid Glass Polish).

http://www.autobarn.net/liqglascarca.html

I just started using all of the meguiars ultimate line of products. None of them leave any white residue on the black plastic trim. The ultimate black trim protectant is amazing! No greasy residue and the trim looks brand new! Even used it on my pickup and it's held up to one rainy day and two washes without needing to be reapplied! The shine from the ultimate wax is the best of any I've used so far and it goes on and off very easy. The ultimate spray detailer also seems to hold its shine longer than the traditional spray detailer and it also seems "slipperyer" if that makes any sense, dust seems to stick less. The only down side is it is also the most expensive line of products meguiar's makes. I also like that its all available locally at advance auto as I really don't like ordering detail products.

my new choice for all my cars/trucks.......Collinite #845 Insulator Wax, lousy marketing but great wax. Very durable, easy on/off, great shine, and good price*_*

Been using this product for 20 years. One of the very finest waxes on the market.

Just got a case of it on Friday.

I know the owner of the company personally. Used to live in Utica,NY where their plant is located.

Great people over there.

The Marquis paste was is really good too, but takes a little more effort to remove it.

Archived