TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Wax and detailing

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Been using Liquid Glass products for 40 years. There are none better at any price. Try them and you will never regret it. I have 50 coats of the polish on my 11 year old Ram. Looks like new. 8 Coats on my Shelby so far. It glows. 12 coats on my wifes BMW. Even her friends comment on how good the car looks. Here is the link: http://shopmpt.us/li...iquidglass.html Easy to use. No complicated systems to try to figure out. If you want more information, let me know.

hey ingot--i put the glass on my 2010 and it looks great--when you wash your car dont the coats eventually come off?

Negative Torched 10. Once you put it on it stays there (assuming you prepared properly for the first coat with the pre-cleaner). You only need to use the pre-cleaner once. Multiple coats (maybe 10) will build up and actually make the car look like it has an extra coat of clear. I usually allow at least a week between coats and let it bake in the sun a few hours as well to cure the finish faster. You should see my 11 year old Ram with over 50 coats. The paint is incredible. I have had people ask me if it has a custom paint job. My wifes jet black 2011 BMW now has 12 coats. The paint looks far better than the new BMWs at the dealership where I get it serviced.

Ingot--thanks for the tips--i did the pre thing on both cars--just did my wifes vette,a 2007 with 4000 miles on it.Im not a big believer in wax since it tends to turn yellow over time, and just use Maguiars #7 on it to bring out the color better (red jewel)--so didnt use the pre on her car--now ill see which way works best for me--thanks again

Ingot--thanks for the tips--i did the pre thing on both cars--just did my wifes vette,a 2007 with 4000 miles on it.Im not a big believer in wax since it tends to turn yellow over time, and just use Maguiars #7 on it to bring out the color better (red jewel)--so didnt use the pre on her car--now ill see which way works best for me--thanks again

Torched10: Keep adding those coats when you get a chance. The beauty really comes out with multiple coats. Just put number 13 on my wifes BMW today. Car looks ready for Barrett-Jackson.

I use Meguiars Clay Bar / Detail spray ( amazing on the clay bar, you think your car is clean, and then the clay bar tells you otherwise !), and then put the Meguiars Carnauba Wax down...looks beautiful , especially for dark clors ( red,black )...I am thinking of going to Zaino in the future or maybe the Souverign (sp) Carnauba

I bought all this zaino stuff. Like the Z-AIO, Z car wash, Z-5 and Z-2 I believe. But they say to put all that stuff 4-6x a month for my black car. I get it professionally detailed every 4-6 months so I don't think I really need all that stuff and will probably return. I just want the car wash but I am wondering what is a good detail spray that has carnauba wax? My shop uses something thats called spray and shine I think. Is that stuff good or is meguiar better? That spray and shine stuff can be used on any surface inside and out of the car, at least thats what the bottle said. I wanted something like that. Something simple I could just keep the shine after I wash the car that was quick until I get it detailed since I can't take it through a car wash.

I bought all this zaino stuff. Like the Z-AIO, Z car wash, Z-5 and Z-2 I believe. But they say to put all that stuff 4-6x a month for my black car. I get it professionally detailed every 4-6 months so I don't think I really need all that stuff and will probably return. I just want the car wash but I am wondering what is a good detail spray that has carnauba wax? My shop uses something thats called spray and shine I think. Is that stuff good or is meguiar better? That spray and shine stuff can be used on any surface inside and out of the car, at least thats what the bottle said. I wanted something like that. Something simple I could just keep the shine after I wash the car that was quick until I get it detailed since I can't take it through a car wash.

http://shopmpt.us/liquidglass/lgdetail.html

ISS you don't waste anytime promoting "Liquid Glass." :hysterical2:

I may have to drop my Adams products after I'm done with it and go back to LG. It looks like they have all the products now. Use to be only the Pre and Liquid Glass when I used it. I swore by it for over 20 years. The thing I loved was the multiple coats make the car look nice and protect the finish like no other. :rockon:

I use Meguiars Clay Bar / Detail spray ( amazing on the clay bar, you think your car is clean, and then the clay bar tells you otherwise !), and then put the Meguiars Carnauba Wax down...looks beautiful , especially for dark clors ( red,black )...I am thinking of going to Zaino in the future or maybe the Souverign (sp) Carnauba

FYI... Clay bar is clay bar... Doesn't matter who you get it from. They color it differently, mess with the scent, but it's all the same.

ISS you don't waste anytime promoting "Liquid Glass." :hysterical2:

I may have to drop my Adams products after I'm done with it and go back to LG. It looks like they have all the products now. Use to be only the Pre and Liquid Glass when I used it. I swore by it for over 20 years. The thing I loved was the multiple coats make the car look nice and protect the finish like no other. :rockon:

As you have already heard, I have been using it for 40 years. It is rare these days to actually find a product that works as good or better that claimed. That is why I promote it whenever I can. You are right about the multiple coats. I hate to keep mentioning my 11 year old Ram with over 50 coats but it is the best example I can give. Paint looks better than new. In addition, the truck has NO STONE CHIPS after all this time and I work my truck hard. Liquid Glass has made a believer out of me.

Can I use on the vinly surfaces of the car? I think thats vinyl. Or is it leather? The soft touch panels, not the seats and not the plastic parts. Also can I use it on the aluminum panels.?

svt13: The link I gave you above was the detail spray for the paint. For the black plastic parts and interior trim/seats, etc. use the Connoisseur's Choice: http://shopmpt.us/li...glass/lgcc.html

Well I have to change it up a bit and go with Griot's or Pinnacle Souveran wax. For my Mustang im a big carnauba user and no sealants.

I hear great things about Pinnacle Souveran. My buddy uses Wolfgang products than waxes with Pinnacle. His cars are to die for...

I love threads like this. Everyone has their favorite product. It's a very opinionated and passionate topic. It's all good...

But I've said it before and I'll say it again. I don't care what product you use... It's about PROCESS not product... If you wash your car with dirt in the bucket you will get swirls. If you wipe your car down with detail spray and use shitty microfiber you will get swirls. Adams, Zaino, Meg's, Griot's, Souveran, CroftsgateUSA, etc... Is all a waste if you don't maintain your car properly.

I hear great things about Pinnacle Souveran. My buddy uses Wolfgang products than waxes with Pinnacle. His cars are to die for...

I love threads like this. Everyone has their favorite product. It's a very opinionated and passionate topic. It's all good...

But I've said it before and I'll say it again. I don't care what product you use... It's about PROCESS not product... If you wash your car with dirt in the bucket you will get swirls. If you wipe your car down with detail spray and use shitty microfiber you will get swirls. Adams, Zaino, Meg's, Griot's, Souveran, CroftsgateUSA, etc... Is all a waste if you don't maintain your car properly.

+1

Could not agree any more the prep and foundation is where it is at.

My goal is I like a wax that is not real glossy cause then I think it gets that plastic look. I rather have a nice smooth warm deep shine, and I only try to use the carnuba waxes because IMO I think with sealants, glazes and such you are trying to cover up somthing that maybe you did not want to take the time and buff out, but thats just my self discipline talking also. Just makes me feel like its more of the pure finish then a cover up. Now my daly drivers I seal, one to help cover up minor swirls and such but also it is not taking care of quite as good lol.

My dad has a 64 Studebaker Avanti R2 that I detailed a bit after it was painted. I told him no towels, cali duster etc. Only MF and a light touch is needed, but to this day when we are at a car show and he goes to push the hood down on the latch he uses a white all purpose towel/shop rag that he caries in his back pocket, it drives me nuts. Even after buying him some MF just to keep in the car for this he still does it lol what can you do though. Yes he still uses the duster also and with the hood up in the sun you can see the swirls. :banghead:

I hate to keep mentioning my 11 year old Ram with over 50 coats but it is the best example I can give.

I'm not looking to dispute Liquid Glass as a product...but I never subscribed to the whole layering thing. For example, even on the liquid glass product itself: "If any paint color appears on the cloth, it is oxidized paint that must be removed to reveal the good paint layer beneath." That is from the back of the liquid glass polish container...so....with that in mind...if you are "layering" the polish...it's acutally able to pull "oxidized paint" through the existing polish/wax layer without disturbing it? Is it magic?

Again....I love waxing my car...so I'm not looking for a debate...I simply don't subscribe to some of the things that are out there.

I'm not looking to dispute Liquid Glass as a product...but I never subscribed to the whole layering thing. For example, even on the liquid glass product itself: "If any paint color appears on the cloth, it is oxidized paint that must be removed to reveal the good paint layer beneath." That is from the back of the liquid glass polish container...so....with that in mind...if you are "layering" the polish...it's acutally able to pull "oxidized paint" through the existing polish/wax layer without disturbing it? Is it magic?

Again....I love waxing my car...so I'm not looking for a debate...I simply don't subscribe to some of the things that are out there.

In my 20 years experiance with Liquid glass. After you use the prep and then LG polish. The oxidation is gone. It doesn't have to come throught the remaining layers. But frankly none of my cars were oxidized, because I used LG from the beginning. And cars that I did that were oxidized... i.e. My nephews college beater. Didn't get 2 coats from Uncle...

And to make it clear.. I did use LG for 20 years. Started using Adams premium car care products 3 years ago and threw everything else away. It is only now that I am considering going back to LG as it was so durable (lasts a long time) and prevented chips. I'll post when I convert, but still have tons of Adams stuff. Adams is good stuff. It just requires lots of time and durability is limited.

The only time you will ever get oxidized paint when using Liquid Glass is when you first start using it on a poorly maintained finish. If you start with a new car (or properly restore an older finish) and use the pre-cleaner to prep the surface and apply multiple coats over time you will never see a spec of oxidized paint on your cloth. I have used this polish (and other Liquid Glass products) successfully on 70 cars/trucks, 7 motorcycles and 11 boats (Nautical Liquid Glass) during my life. With multiple coats on the car you are actually polishing the Liquid Glass, not the finish. Interestingly, when, I first started using the product, I got in a hurry and accidently left a few water spot rings on one of my cars and sealed them in with several coats of cured Liquid Glass. When I finally discovered the spots, no amount of polishing would get them out. I had to go to a compound to remove them. I have been very careful not to make that mistake again. I had a 1991 K5 Blazer I bought new. The paint on these trucks was defective from the factory and turned to crap no matter what people did. It took 10 years for any flaws to develop in the paint on my truck. At that point it started to fade under all the Liquid Glass. I could not do anything about it because it was sealed in by the Liquid Glass.

There is really nothing to debate here. Everyone has there own preferrences when it comes to car car products. The great thing about forums like this, is that everyone can read about all the different experiences with various products and then decide for themselves. If you don't buy into the "layering thing," then go for a different product. Don't know if you saw this link I provided on another thread. I encourage you to read through the 82 Liquid Glass reviews on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Liquid-Glass-LG-100-Ultimate-Polish/product-reviews/B0002JMIEK/ref=cm_cr_pr_top_link_1?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0

agree-no need to debate,esp with such a nice guy as Blue, one of the original 2010 members.After putting LG on 3 cars a 2007 vette(6000),a 2008 STS V (30,000 miles) and my 2010 Shelby (6,000), i didnt see any color after doing the prep work.Just put a 2nd coat on my Caddy,since it had lots of microscratches,which LG covers real well--im happy

I guess my point is...that liquid glass claims to be strong enough to remove paint....but even if there isn't oxidized paint to remove...it still leaves the previous "layer" in tact? That would mean that the layer of wax/polish is stronger than the paint itself.

Again...I like liquid glass...so I'm not putting down the product...I have a bottle of it.

Archived