TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Wax and detailing

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

agree-no need to debate,esp with such a nice guy as Blue, one of the original 2010 members.After putting LG on 3 cars a 2007 vette(6000),a 2008 STS V (30,000 miles) and my 2010 Shelby (6,000), i didnt see any color after doing the prep work.Just put a 2nd coat on my Caddy,since it had lots of microscratches,which LG covers real well--im happy

Thanks Torched10.

The only time you will ever get oxidized paint when using Liquid Glass is when you first start using it on a poorly maintained finish. If you start with a new car (or properly restore an older finish) and use the pre-cleaner to prep the surface and apply multiple coats over time you will never see a spec of oxidized paint on your cloth. I have used this polish (and other Liquid Glass products) successfully on 70 cars/trucks, 7 motorcycles and 11 boats (Nautical Liquid Glass) during my life. With multiple coats on the car you are actually polishing the Liquid Glass, not the finish. Interestingly, when, I first started using the product, I got in a hurry and accidently left a few water spot rings on one of my cars and sealed them in with several coats of cured Liquid Glass. When I finally discovered the spots, no amount of polishing would get them out. I had to go to a compound to remove them. I have been very careful not to make that mistake again. I had a 1991 K5 Blazer I bought new. The paint on these trucks was defective from the factory and turned to crap no matter what people did. It took 10 years for any flaws to develop in the paint on my truck. At that point it started to fade under all the Liquid Glass. I could not do anything about it because it was sealed in by the Liquid Glass.

There is really nothing to debate here. Everyone has there own preferrences when it comes to car car products. The great thing about forums like this, is that everyone can read about all the different experiences with various products and then decide for themselves. If you don't buy into the "layering thing," then go for a different product. Don't know if you saw this link I provided on another thread. I encourage you to read through the 82 Liquid Glass reviews on Amazon: http://www.amazon.co...howViewpoints=0

Seems like different things work on different combinations of colors and since I also have an Ingot Silver I'll have to give Liquid Glass a shot, thanks.

My car is a daily driver and sits outside a lot so the black stripes demand a lot of care also. I've found that 303® Aerospace Protectant works best on them so far and I have tried many things.

IngotSilverSnake,

I am new to the forum and was wondering if you had any connection with the company that makes Liquid Glass products or are just an enthusiastic customer?

I wish I had some connection with Liquid Glass products. I would love to have a chance to sell them in a format similar to an Amsoil Dealer. Unfortunately they have no such programs. I retired from the USAF with 27 years of service. I love machines and have had a lot of machine related jobs since retirement (drove 18 wheelers, sold yachts, sold cars and motorcyles, etc.) Lately, I spend my time playing with my machines and enjoying life here on the Sun Coast of FL. I do keep a large stock of Liquid Glass products on hand just in case they go out of business.

I do keep a large stock of Liquid Glass products on hand just in case they go out of business.

That's a good thing to do...I know Autogeek has dropped them from their offerings due to poor sales.

Have you tried the $99 "legend" polish yet by them? I like the car wash...it smells so good...but it's so expensive, as is the detailer spray.

Yeah. Liquid Glass makes great products but do a very poor job of marketing. Most sales are by word of mouth. I have not tried the Legend yet but think I will just for the Shelby. Hard to justify 4X the price on the regular polish that works so well. I'll see if the Legend works 4X better and let everyone know.

Yeah. Liquid Glass makes great products but do a very poor job of marketing. Most sales are by word of mouth. I have not tried the Legend yet but think I will just for the Shelby. Hard to justify 4X the price on the regular polish that works so well. I'll see if the Legend works 4X better and let everyone know.

That would be cool. I might pick up a bottle down the road a bit. I wish the Legend polish was available in other places than the link you supplied. They seem to run products at full MSRP. You could probably get it about $20-$30 less elsewhere.

I hear great things about Pinnacle Souveran. My buddy uses Wolfgang products than waxes with Pinnacle. His cars are to die for...

I love threads like this. Everyone has their favorite product. It's a very opinionated and passionate topic. It's all good...

But I've said it before and I'll say it again. I don't care what product you use... It's about PROCESS not product... If you wash your car with dirt in the bucket you will get swirls. If you wipe your car down with detail spray and use shitty microfiber you will get swirls. Adams, Zaino, Meg's, Griot's, Souveran, CroftsgateUSA, etc... Is all a waste if you don't maintain your car properly.

This is true. I used zaino stuff but I dried with a leaf blower but finished off with shittty microfiberr and I got scratches on my hood around the hood vent :(. Ordered better ones from pakshak to not repeat this problem. Going to have to have the dealership buff out the scratches now.

This is true. I used zaino stuff but I dried with a leaf blower but finished off with shittty microfiberr and I got scratches on my hood around the hood vent :(. Ordered better ones from pakshak to not repeat this problem. Going to have to have the dealership buff out the scratches now.

Exactly!

You could have taken the scratches out with some good polish and a Dual Action buffer. I have a simple test you can do with microfibers to see if they wont scratch. Take a blank CD. Rub it with the microfiber. If it leaves scratches. Use them as oil rags. I don't know what you ordered at pacshak, but I promise you that if you try Adams microfibers you will never switch!!! They are $$$$$ but your car is worth it. Griots are good too. But I prefer Adams.

Test the ones you got and let me know.

Also, I use to use a leaf blower. Then I bought a Master Blaster Sidekick. :worship: it blows warm air. Cost me about $70. Haven't picked up the leaf blower since.

:salute:

• 2 weeks later...

Prep is the crucial step, I have approx 50 hours in when I brought my new car home, to clean, correct, polish and protect. I posted most of the process somewhere on this site and also on autogeek. Without writing a novel, the short version, wash, clay, wash again. Then using a flex 3401 machine I used menzerna power finish and super finish to correct 99% of the defects. Then coated with chemical guys blacklite, once that cured went to wolfgang fuzion, once that cured pinnacle souveran. On dark colors in my opinion souveran looks the best it was made for reds, blacks, and dark blue. Pinnacle Souveran is a highly refined caranuba, it produces deep shine and a warm glow. On the other hand sealants produce an extreme gloss and wet look, almost if the shine is sitting on top of the paint. Caranuba lets you look down into the finish. There are pictures in my garage on here as well on Autogeek. They are all low res because of photo bucket. I can say I :have had multiple people at shows say it was the nicest looking finish they have seen. Again lots of prep and the right amount of layering. I should add you need to know when to stop the correction process and just call it good enough. I still have some very minor marring when the light hits just right. Also always use a 2 bucket wash... well here I go I said I wasn't going to write a novel.. especially since I am typing on my DROID. Sometime when I get on a pc i could give some advice on maintaining the finish, and what not to do so it reduces the light marring and scratches.

I'm not looking to dispute Liquid Glass as a product...but I never subscribed to the whole layering thing. For example, even on the liquid glass product itself: "If any paint color appears on the cloth, it is oxidized paint that must be removed to reveal the good paint layer beneath." That is from the back of the liquid glass polish container...so....with that in mind...if you are "layering" the polish...it's acutally able to pull "oxidized paint" through the existing polish/wax layer without disturbing it? Is it magic?

Again....I love waxing my car...so I'm not looking for a debate...I simply don't subscribe to some of the things that are out there.

Well said BB. I never bought into the whole "layered" coats line either. I used Liquid Glass for years on my black '99 Saleen and while it looked great and I was satisfied with it, it didn't really have that soft wax feel and I don't feel it protected my paint nearly as well as Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax 2.0 that I use on my Shelby. It also doesn't hold that "just waxed" look like the Meguiars does. I use a California Duster and Meguiars Ultimate Detail Spray to maintain.

Black cars IMO are the ultimate judge of how good a quality "wax" product is.

IngotSilverSnake / other Liquid Gloss devotees,

What do you use to protect your matt black side stripes? I'm going to start tomorrow to Liquid Gloss my new 2012 by washing, clay bar, washing, preconditioning and then the first coat of Liquid Gloss. I have stripes on the hood and trunk on this vert and am not sure I have seen anything in the forums that say LG is good for matte black stripes.

IngotSilverSnake / other Liquid Gloss devotees,

What do you use to protect your matt black side stripes? I'm going to start tomorrow to Liquid Gloss my new 2012 by washing, clay bar, washing, preconditioning and then the first coat of Liquid Gloss. I have stripes on the hood and trunk on this vert and am not sure I have seen anything in the forums that say LG is good for matte black stripes.

I like aerospace 303,protectant, it has UV inhibitors. Otherwise pinnacle souveran, neither will streak.

Used Zaino for years- still have it on a few of my cars. Tried FireGlaze a couple years back & have used it on several vehicles since. Really like the depth of shine even on Silver. It's awesome on darker colors! Agree with y'all on process. And you must take much more care with darker colors. Thanks!

Prep is the crucial step, I have approx 50 hours in when I brought my new car home, to clean, correct, polish and protect. I posted most of the process somewhere on this site and also on autogeek. Without writing a novel, the short version, wash, clay, wash again. Then using a flex 3401 machine I used menzerna power finish and super finish to correct 99% of the defects. Then coated with chemical guys blacklite, once that cured went to wolfgang fuzion, once that cured pinnacle souveran. On dark colors in my opinion souveran looks the best it was made for reds, blacks, and dark blue. Pinnacle Souveran is a highly refined caranuba, it produces deep shine and a warm glow. On the other hand sealants produce an extreme gloss and wet look, almost if the shine is sitting on top of the paint. Caranuba lets you look down into the finish. There are pictures in my garage on here as well on Autogeek. They are all low res because of photo bucket. I can say I :have had multiple people at shows say it was the nicest looking finish they have seen. Again lots of prep and the right amount of layering. I should add you need to know when to stop the correction process and just call it good enough. I still have some very minor marring when the light hits just right. Also always use a 2 bucket wash... well here I go I said I wasn't going to write a novel.. especially since I am typing on my DROID. Sometime when I get on a pc i could give some advice on maintaining the finish, and what not to do so it reduces the light marring and scratches.

I got tired just reading your post. I had to go out to the garage and put coat number 9 of Liquid Glass on the Snake just to regain my strength. Took only 30 minutes. No fuss no muss and looks like it is ready for Barrett-Jackson!

I got tired just reading your post. I had to go out to the garage and put coat number 9 of Liquid Glass on the Snake just to regain my strength. Took only 30 minutes. No fuss no muss and looks like it is ready for Barrett-Jackson!

Its like anything in life you get out of it what you put into it. You should see my Porsche gold metallic golf cart.. but I wont bore you with the prep in that finish. :-)

Its like anything in life you get out of it what you put into it. You should see my Porsche gold metallic golf cart.. but I wont bore you with the prep in that finish. :-)

True enough. It is also important to not put more into something than is necessary. That will leave more time for variety -- which is the spice of life.

True enough. It is also important to not put more into something than is necessary. That will leave more time for variety -- which is the spice of life.

You are absolutely right.. You know I should also say all that time was in the PREP stage, once you correct the finish it's done until / unless you marr and scratch it up again. I can wax the car now in less than 1/2 and hour and honestly havent washed it since it was preped. Mine is trutly a garage queen as I only take it out when the weather is nice. I use Optimum No-Rinse (which is probably one of the coolest products I have ever used)for wipe down then coat again with Souveran if I feel like it. Also Souveran is a wipe on wipe off wax so there is no waiting for it to flash dry.

Anyone who wants to check out Optimum No-Rinse here is a link, this stuff so so slick and WAY safer than using a quick detailer,it's amazing. I use it as a waterless wash instead of using a quick detailer.

http://www.autogeek.net/no-rinse-wash.html

For those that like a sealant looks I have used Chemical Guys Hybrid V-7, this as a quick detailer and it gives the paint that candied dripping wet look with amazing shine and a sealant protectant as well. http://www.autogeek.net/hybrid-v7-sealant-gallon.html

Once again sorry for the long posts, it's something I am passionate about. It makes me feel good when I am parked next to another 2012 red svtpp Shelby at a cruise or show and everyone is standing around my car. It's the finish, spectators don't even realize they are doing it, or why. I like to think that it's that little extra that I originaly put into prepping the car out. More importantly on a rainy Sunday I can walk up to the garage with a cold draft and just look at it, puts a smile on my face everytime!

• 2 months later...

What's the best way to remove swirl marks from a black car. I brought home the Shelby with them. believe it or not. Also what is a good carnuba wax to use that will not put those nasty white marks on the black plastic parts.

My post on line 41 answers your questions. If you want to watch instruction videos go to autogeek and do a search for swirl mark removal and paint correction. Your swirls are a result of improper washing, drying and mishandling. New cars straight from the dealer usually have some of the worse finishes defects even if the car hasn't been "prep'd before the sale. Black cars are a nightmare even for the most anal detailers, I think a corrected black finish has some of the nicest depth and reflective characteristics but personally I am way to much of a perfectionist to own one. Buy the right tools and products and take your time. The key to a show finish is all in the prep, then choose the lok you want with either a caranuba or a sealant LSP. Once you have the paint corrected use proper washing and drying otherwise you'll be right back to where you started. Videos and complete instructions are on autogeek, once you do that research if you have any questions I will be glad to help. My car is in gallery's here, Autogeek, and autopia.

just a quick question to all the liquid glass users, i've been using meguiars cleaner wax on my sgt and would like to try liquid glass, do i need to use the pre cleaner first or can i just go over the meguiars?

just a quick question to all the liquid glass users, i've been using meguiars cleaner wax on my sgt and would like to try liquid glass, do i need to use the pre cleaner first or can i just go over the meguiars?

I'd pre-clean it. LG needs to bond with the clear to maintain its durability. If you put LG on top of wax it can't bond with paint and therefore durability will be compromised.

What's the best way to remove swirl marks from a black car. I brought home the Shelby with them. believe it or not. Also what is a good carnuba wax to use that will not put those nasty white marks on the black plastic parts.

There are many products you can use. But process is everything on a black car (MyWickedShelby's car)... I use Adams and a 7240 Porter Cable. Process was, Wash, Clay, Swirl and Haze remover, Polish, Seal and Carnuba wax. Got it 99% corrected... Total time 14 hard hours of sweat and elbow grease.

IMG_3710.jpg

IMG_3709.jpg

IMG_3708.jpg

Door before

IMG_3680.jpg

After... :drool:

IMG_3679.jpg

ChrisThumbsUp.jpg

Fender before...

Fender2_before.jpg

After...

Fender2_after.jpg

Rear quarter panel before...

RightRearQuarterPanelTop_Before.jpg

After

RightRearQuarterPanelTop_After.jpg

I'd pre-clean it. LG needs to bond with the clear to maintain its durability. If you put LG on top of wax it can't bond with paint and therefore durability will be compromised.

ok. how labor intensive is the pre-cleaning and the actual application of LG?

Honestly, I would stick with meguairs. You mentioned the cleaner wax...I would step it up to NXT 2.0 Liquid wax. No offense to the the liquid glass believers...but they are getting as bad as the Zaino-bots. As long as you prepare the surface, meguiars will deliver awesome results. I've tried more polishes and waxes than I can remember...meguiars is solid and awesome. Meguiars' shine far surpasses the liquid glass shine IMO....and the claim that Liquid Glass repels rock chips is laughable. I dare you to let me throw a pebble at your front end and it not cause a chip.

But you should use whatever you feel makes you happy...that's my philosophy.

ok. how labor intensive is the pre-cleaning and the actual application of LG?

It's not. LG goes on and off very easy. I'm by no means a LG-bot... As you can see I used Adams on the Black car above. I've used almost everything under the sun. And bottom line, I believe you should use whatever floats your boat. But I wouldn't let others influence you experimenting.

Good luck on whatever you choose. :rockon:

i agree. i've really been on the fence about LG and now i think you've swayed me back to meguiar's! there was a good reason i switched to meguiar's years ago. my buddy's car, who swore by meguiar's, always looked better than mine and i had been using eagle one products. after i finish off this bottle of cleaner wax i'll try some of the nxt 2.0

All I can say is that if you give LG a chance you will be a customer for life. Make sure you use the pre-cleaner before you put on the first coat. It is easy to use and you only need to use it once. jerseygator is exactly correct. The pre-cleaner sets up the finish to bond with the LG. Subsequent applications then build up on the first. After about 10 coats it looks like you have an extra coat of clear on the car. Something else to consider. I contacted LG by phone to get some more information to answer members questions on this and other forums. I ended up talking with the President and Chief Scientist (Dr John Heywang). One of the major advantages of LG he told me about was that it LOVES the heat. Every other polish in the world (wax, silicones, polymers) break down in the sun and the heat. LG cures and gets harder in the heat. I wish I could show you all my 2001 Ram (90K miles) with over 60 coats. Looks like a show truck. Not a stone chip on the front end. What else can I say. Use whatever you want.

Archived