TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Race Ramps worked great with lowered KR splitter

While in Carlisle with everyone I bought a set of the 67" two-piece Race Ramps specifically for my KR, since we all know how low it sits and the splitter touches other ramps. I was finally able to get use out of them this weekend to change the oil. They worked very well and I'm pleased with the purchase. They left about 1/4" of clearance between the ramp and the splitter when first starting up the ramp, and they are plenty wide for the tires so you won't slip off the side. I like the two piece (that's 4 pieces for both ramps) because it's easy to store.

Special thanks to Andy Roth for letting me test out a sample ramp at Carlisle on a KR before I made the investment!

I could take pics and put them up here but Smitty's pics tell the story...I have the exact same ramps he has EXCEPT I don't have the extensions you see at the leading edge of the ramp. They are nice and they decrease the angle up the ramp, but you don't necessary have to have them for the KR (it's your preference)...for even lower cars, yes. I paid just over $300 with free shipping, which is better than the time and hassle of buying materials and trying to build something better. You can get them from Race Ramps. If you went to Carlisle, in the Team Shelby tent they had the Prototype 1966 GT350 sitting up on a set of these (the WHOLE set) on Saturday.

Nice garage Smitty! Do you clean that with a toothbrush?!...it's spotless!

Oh, and I forgot to mention the ramps are made out of a super lightweight yet heavy duty plastic compound. They are solid and look heavy but they are really light. I'll be recycling a set of metal ramps I have soon enough (or finding some young gun who needs them).

I have a set also and they work great. Don't have any pics to share, but well worth it for oil changes and such.

Nice garage Smitty! Do you clean that with a toothbrush?!...it's spotless!

:D Just about sir!

My friends give me a hard time that I keep my garage cleaner then they do their front-rooms. :hysterical:

Take care!

Smitty

:D Just about sir!

My friends give me a hard time that I keep my garage cleaner then they do their front-rooms. :hysterical:

Take care!

Smitty

Well, I'll give you a hard time too for the fun of it...my kids still make the front room look like I change the oil in there instead of the garage, so I can't compete. Jealous though...so keep it up!

Sorry, just came across this thread today... It was great meeting you at Carlisle and I have to say you have a beautiful vehicle!

You are quite welcome and am glad they worked out. After buying my enclosed trailer I realized that I had no way of getting the KR inside without the trailer ramps. It's reeaaalll close to touching the splitter but after a few times with no issues I can pull in and out without worry. I also bought the 4 piece set as its so much nicer not to have to deal with jacks and jack stands when changing oil (or in my case Q tipping the undercarriage- don't ask).

These are a MUST HAVE for any KR owner.

but you don't necessary have to have them for the KR (it's your preference)...for even lower cars, yes.

The OP said his KR is lowered. My '10 GT500 is too, with the Ford Racing FR3 handling pack.

Would I need extensions for it or are you saying HE didn't need the extensions when you say you don't necessarily have to have them for the KR's?

And are the ones shown in the pic plastic? I thought I'd seen a set that look like that but were metal.

Am I dreaming?

Thanks In Advance,

Phill

My KR is NOT lowered any more than standard..so I'm saying you DON'T need the extensions with a standard KR height. If you have a lowered KR or similarly low profile vehicle, I would definitely get those thin extensions to lessen the angle up the ramp. It would be too close with the splitter touching the ramp if my car was lowered any further.

Yes, these are all some sort of plastic/rubber/oil composite rather than metal. I don't think make metal ones (and I wouldn't want them). These are lightweight and seem to be non-slip. I actually pulled my generator up on them to change the oil...gotta get the "cost per use" down!

• 2 weeks later...

I'll chime in with agreement.

I have the 4 piece set, they really are great. Easy to use, stable, and super-lightweight to throw around the garage.

I bought the lower height, should have bought the taller ones, but these still work fine.

Jer

I'll chime in with agreement.

I have the 4 piece set, they really are great. Easy to use, stable, and super-lightweight to throw around the garage.

I bought the lower height, should have bought the taller ones, but these still work fine.

I bought four of the regular "cheap" ramps and I can't really use them as designed. I can't drive up them with the car as low as it is because the splitter hits PLUS they want to shoot out from under the front wheels when I'm trying to climb them. I can brace them with boards but that doesn't help the lowered car part.

I use them more as stands than ramps. I have to jack the front of the car up, put stands under it, jack the rear of the car up, put the ramps/stands under the wheels, jack the front back up and place it on the ramps/stands. This is AFTER I drive the car up on four blocks of 2"x12" pieces of wood so my jack will get under it (front AND rear).

It's a major pain in the ass so if I can drive up on a set of those ramps, that would be a BIG plus.

Phill

I got some ramps and had the same issues Phill had so I made some ramps from the instructions here http://mustangworld.com/ourpics/News/mwramps/index.htm

They are heavy for sure because of the wood but I LOVE those things... I've had them for three years now and they work perfectly.

I think they cost me about 20 or 30 bucks and an hour of work.

Is that the 67" XT? Looks like no extensions it should work fine.

How much room is there to work?

No... they're the RR-56- and require the extensions to clear the front splitter. Here's a simple test to find out (page# 7): http://www.raceramps...11_10_EMAIL.pdf Also, RR-56 are 8" high... an extra inch over my previously used Rhinos. Here's a link for further details: http://www.fordgt500...&highlight=race

The approach angle on either size ramp are the same, so if you don't clear without the extensions you will not clear on either size ramp. Thr 67" ones just get you up in the air higher and a wider ramp to hit.

Archived