TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Correct shifter thread for '12 SS

I bought one of the new SS shifter knobs and really like it. However, I was unable to remove the old shift boot adaptor from the stock knob. So, I want to get a new boot adaptor but don't know what thread size is correct. There are 10mm, 12mm x 125 and 12mm x 150. I know the car has an MGW shifter but other than that, I have no idea what to buy. Any of you guys know what I need to get or how to find out? Thanks so much for any help.

I bought one of the new SS shifter knobs and really like it. However, I was unable to remove the old shift boot adaptor from the stock knob. So, I want to get a new boot adaptor but don't know what thread size is correct. There are 10mm, 12mm x 125 and 12mm x 150. I know the car has an MGW shifter but other than that, I have no idea what to buy. Any of you guys know what I need to get or how to find out? Thanks so much for any help.

I believe the newer thread is 10mm, if you have the OEM shifter handle still in place.

R

I believe the newer thread is 10mm, if you have the OEM shifter handle still in place.

R

He has a Super Snake so Shelby could have put any one of the 3 available MGW shift levers on it. 2010 and up OEM were 10mm but that's not to say Shelby put another 10mm on the car. I'd measure the shaft diameter to be sure.

I'll either be a 10mm or a 12mm shaft. If 12mm, you have two Thread Pitch's to choose from. See the MGW site for more exact info. (mgwltd.com)

Phill

He has a Super Snake so Shelby could have put any one of the 3 available MGW shift levers on it. 2010 and up OEM were 10mm but that's not to say Shelby put another 10mm on the car. I'd measure the shaft diameter to be sure.

I'll either be a 10mm or a 12mm shaft. If 12mm, you have two Thread Pitch's to choose from. See the MGW site for more exact info. (mgwltd.com)

Phill

One other indicator would be if it has the OEM knob in place, with the MGW below it..........

R

One other indicator would be if it has the OEM knob in place, with the MGW below it..........

Oh, I thought Shelby put a Super Snake exclusive knob on them. If they do, they could use any of the three available threads and just get the correct threaded MGW shaft when they order the shifter.

Or use a OE 10mm shaft and a thread adaptor.

Phill

Oh, I thought Shelby put a Super Snake exclusive knob on them. If they do, they could use any of the three available threads and just get the correct threaded MGW shaft when they order the shifter.

Or use a OE 10mm shaft and a thread adaptor.

Phill

Until just recently, I had not seen a Super Snake exclusive knob except the white knob that was offered a couple of years ago that said "Shelby" on the sides. Other than that, I thought that the Super Snake got a new shifter, but all other items, boot, knob, etc. were reused. It was that way for the older cars.

Here is the knob that was a SPP option before the more recent release of the "Super Snake" logo'ed knobs in various colors...........

0025-2.jpg

0037.jpg

I think white was the only color option for this knob, and since there are many owners who are not interested in a white shifter ball being the focal point of their interior, it wouldn't be a standard item but instead a SPP add after the fact.

R

Here is the knob that was a SPP option before the more recent release of the "Super Snake" logo'ed knobs in various colors...........

That's the one I was thinking of. It has the Super Snake "thin-THICK-thin" stripe instead of the SVT double runway stripes which is why I thought it was a SS item.

I guess not?

I know Blackout got a SS knob on his '12 SS but I don't remember if it was part of the upfit, a option to the upfit or if it was owner installed.

I'll look at his pics in his FS ad in the classified section. I think he mentions it and has a photo of it in his advert.

Phill

Phill

That's the one I was thinking of. It has the Super Snake "thin-THICK-thin" stripe instead of the SVT double runway stripes which is why I thought it was a SS item.

I guess not?

I know Blackout got a SS knob on his '12 SS but I don't remember if it was part of the upfit, a option to the upfit or if it was owner installed.

I'll look at his pics in his FS ad in the classified section. I think he mentions it and has a photo of it in his advert.

Phill

Phill

There may be a Super Snake specific knob that is available, if there is, I was not aware of it.........

R

That older style knob was a SuperSnake shift knob but was discontinued, as I was told this was due to the knob cracking or not meeting the spec design from the manufacture. This new style knob was revised and I am guessing the manufacturing defects were corrected or they went with another manufacturer altogether. I plan on getting the new style knob when I find a couple of other parts to bundle with shipping.

There may be a Super Snake specific knob that is available, if there is, I was not aware of it.........

R

After I posted I remembered something. Blackout's car was being held up at least two times. One was for....A shift knob.

Phill

That older style knob was a SuperSnake shift knob but was discontinued, as I was told this was due to the knob cracking or not meeting the spec design from the manufacture. This new style knob was revised and I am guessing the manufacturing defects were corrected or they went with another manufacturer altogether. I plan on getting the new style knob when I find a couple of other parts to bundle with shipping.

That is interesting, I have not heard that.

Greg (dbackg) on this forum has this knob, installed with the upgrade shifter in mid to late 2009..................Greg - Have you had any issues with your knob?

The only thing I didn't like about the 1st design Super Snake knob was its size. It seems small for my hand........

R

However, I have learned that small hands make the knob appear bigger. :hammer_self:

LOL...We're not talkin' about shifter knobs anymore...Are we.

Phill

Archived